• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I'd be quite happy with that if we see some of the fringe (surplus) players moved on in January and some players better suited to Poch's preferred way of playing come in.

I still would not expect us to be the finished article but a bit of consistency in performances and how we approach games in the second half of the season and I would consider it to be a successful first season.

But would that really be progression? Let's not forget we finished 6th with the AVB-Sherwood one two punch, and quite of lot of posters do not rate one of them, or in some cases, both. We haven't lost any of our "top" players.

As the brain said, the performances need to improve also, it actually seems like our home performances are getting worse if anything.

Forgetting how **** we may or may not be, who are the teams that will finish above us? Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton all have more settled teams, yet are struggling just as much.

Chelsea
Emirates Marketing Project
United
Scum
Liverpool
Soton
W Ham

Possibly one of Everton or Saudi Sportswashing Machine too.

Hard to predict where we will finish, but what I do know is that Poch wont finish this season unless things improve, and quickly.

Hard to predict where we will finish, but what I do know is that Poch wont finish this season unless things improve, and quickly.

Unless things get really bad i.e. heavy defeats like last season at home or we slide further down the table, I believe he will last the season. Whether a 8th-12th place finish for example is good enough for him to keep his job is another debate, but I don't see Levy pulling the trigger any earlier than May.

Sherwood did it straight away without bothering to learn about his senior players. Bentaleb was not ready to play as big a role as he did last season. Having been at the club for a few years I would have expected him to at least have watched some of our games.

Poch has given the established players a chance to earn their spot and has started to replace those that aren't doing so.

Sherwood didn't rate capoue. Most of the board would now agree with him, he benched Sandro who now plays for QPR.... (Not sure how well he is doing there as i dont follow them) Who were the senior players he excluded?

But would that really be progression? Let's not forget we finished 6th with the AVB-Sherwood one two punch, and quite of lot of posters do not rate one of them, or in some cases, both. We haven't lost any of our "top" players.

As the brain said, the performances need to improve also, it actually seems like our home performances are getting worse if anything.
If it created a platform that we could push on from, I think it would be progress.

Sherwood didn't rate capoue. Most of the board would now agree with him, he benched Sandro who now plays for QPR.... (Not sure how well he is doing there as i dont follow them) Who were the senior players he excluded?

Sandro is where he usuallty is..... on the treatment table.

I would be amazed if Poch did not finish the season as our manager. Levy has never sacked a manager in their first season and I do not think that is going to change now.

Our current problems are not of Poch's making and have been there for a while. If he was considered to be good enough if the summer, he is good enough to stick by during what was always going to be a tough first season.

Sherwood managed it by the side being left open so there was something for teams to attack. It is like a boxer fighting with their guard down. You will invite punches.

Yeah OK fair point but if you have a great knock out record while doing it, is it so bad. Continuing with the boxing analogy, Could his teams be considered a Carl froch type fighter? If not froch then who?

Yeah OK fair point but if you have a great knock out record while doing it, is it so bad. Continuing with the boxing analogy, Could his teams be considered a Carl froch type fighter? If not froch then who?
Only really good fighters can get away with fighting with their guard down. If you are average, you will end up on your **** as often as you don't.

Hang on. Are you disagreeing in general? Or just wondering how Sherwood managed it? If you're disagreeing in general that breaking down well organized teams that sit back I think you need to expand and explains your opinion a bit.

For me the most important part of the success under Sherwood was Adebayor. Because of the circumstances of his dropping he was motivated and raring to go, for some months there we had the Ade of his loan spell and a truly top class striker in our team. Sherwood also sacrificed a lot of defensive solidity by playing players like Eriksen and Chadli in central midfield to get more technical ability in the team.

To be honest I was asking about how sherwood managed it, and think that the Ade being on form is an incomplete answer. Because if two reasons:

1) Ade was on fire only part of the time that sherwood was in charge.

2) it glosses over the fact that sherwood maybe was able to get the best out of him, by a) motivating him b) playing a system that allowed him to flourish.

But as a general point, ie beating well organised teams, are not most teams in the prem well organised and stubborn. Apart from the really good and really bad ones?

Only really good fighters can get away with fighting with their guard down. If you are average, you will end up on your **** as often as you don't.

This is true, but would the points tally mean that we were actually a really good fighter then?

I think we should take the gamble and back Poch. He's made mistakes, but anyone we hire would do that. Let's just back him, establish an identity and a way of playing, and see if we can upset the applecart a bit.

Against Everton we played better than we have for 3 seasons. Calm the **** down we are getting there.

We played really well against Everton, I was really please by the performance and even if we somehow ended up losing that game, I would have felt the same. However to say that was the best we played in 3 seasons is simply an untruth.

Audley Harrison

For arguments sake, because you seem to think people are fools for questioning Poch

Re-read my post. When did i say that i thought anybody questioning Poch were fools? What I said is that those who think Poch should get the boot now are fools. Not the same thing i'm sure you'll agree.

1. Not a young inexperienced system manager, someone with 20 or so years experience, hopefully with a good part of that in PL, with trophies if possible. Not my job to find that person, but the obvious fit = Fat Spanish Waiter

Lol. Why would he leave Napoli a club in Italy's top 3 and likely to get into CL (so long as he doesn't balls things up) for a job where we want the manager out after 15 games? Especially when Liverpool may have a vacancy at some point in near future and can offer far higher wages no doubt than us (plus bigger kitty)? Can you (or anyone else for that matter) name another one, as FSW seems far-fetched. I'm not even going to talk about whether his methids and style could be a good fit at all...

2. Spurs pay some of the highest managerial salaries in Europe (all the way back to Ramos), so we can tempt good managers

See my answer above. So i'd like to know the other "good managers" we could tempt right this moment

3. Probably this time next season

Probably...So as likely as Poch will get us to where we should be by the end of this...imagine if the fist 15 games were similar or worse...?

My questions for you

4. What have you seen from Poch at spurs that indicates he's even a mediocre manager?

Has got us doing some nice pass-and-move in patches. Our attacking play against QPR, Sunderland, Arsenal (in patches), Soton, Emirates Marketing Project, Saudi Sportswashing Machine (first half) and Everton show what Poch can instill. A manager who is "not even mediocre" doesn't have a team in 10th ffs. It's our defence and defensive midfield that has let us down. However, we ARE creating the chances (see Soldado and Ade's finishing records).

5. Would you still feel that way if he sells Lennon & Soldado and keeps Lamela and Paulinho?

What a wierd question. And not just because 3 of those 4 are HEAVILY rumoured to being linked away! Happy to answer a more rounded version of this question in February.

6. How long will you give Poch to make us look like a side that can beat West Brom, Palace, Stoke, Sunderland?

End of the season like it should be. I could understand calls for him to go if we were in the bottom 3 but we are NOT.

7. Why does change/settling in period = dire/uninspired/slow football?

Why does tenth place having lost as many as we've won after less tha half the first season gone = let's sack our latest manager??
Do we think things cannot get better?
Do we think things in football only go in one direction in the first season?
Were you thinking this after our first two PL games??

Like I say, it's one thing to criticise Poch, but another thing to say he needs to be sacked right now. I maintain anybody that wants Poch to be sacked after only 15 games - and especially if they cannot give credible alternatives given our recent history and status - is a joker imo.

Re-read my post. When did i say that i thought anybody questioning Poch were fools? What I said is that those who think Poch should get the boot now are fools. Not the same thing i'm sure you'll agree.

Lol. Why would he leave Napoli a club in Italy's top 3 and likely to get into CL (so long as he doesn't balls things up) for a job where we want the manager out after 15 games? Especially when Liverpool may have a vacancy at some point in near future and can offer far higher wages no doubt than us (plus bigger kitty)? Can you (or anyone else for that matter) name another one, as FSW seems far-fetched. I'm not even going to talk about whether his methids and style could be a good fit at all...

See my answer above. So i'd like to know the other "good managers" we could tempt right this moment

Probably...So as likely as Poch will get us to where we should be by the end of this...imagine if the fist 15 games were similar or worse...?

My questions for you

Has got us doing some nice pass-and-move in patches. Our attacking play against QPR, Sunderland, Arsenal (in patches), Soton, Emirates Marketing Project, Saudi Sportswashing Machine (first half) and Everton show what Poch can instill. A manager who is "not even mediocre" doesn't have a team in 10th ffs. It's our defence and defensive midfield that has let us down. However, we ARE creating the chances (see Soldado and Ade's finishing records).

What a wierd question. And not just because 3 of those 4 are HEAVILY rumoured to being linked away! Happy to answer a more rounded version of this question in February.

End of the season like it should be. I could understand calls for him to go if we were in the bottom 3 but we are NOT.

Why does tenth place having lost as many as we've won after less tha half the first season gone = let's sack our latest manager??
Do we think things cannot get better?
Do we think things in football only go in one direction in the first season?
Were you thinking this after our first two PL games??

Like I say, it's one thing to criticise Poch, but another thing to say he needs to be sacked right now. I maintain anybody that wants Poch to be sacked after only 15 games - and especially if they cannot give credible alternatives given our recent history and status - is a joker imo.

good post.

Just watching MotD2, they say that Palace's 16 shots is the most that they have attempted in a PL away game since 2004

How many of those 10 years were they in the PL?

I also noticed loads of goals yesterday and today were scored from people out wide crossing or passing the ball into the area with their preferred foot, rather than checking back and laying it 5 yards to someone else to circulate it back into play. For instance Stoke got 3 like this, all of them put in with the foot, not the head. Others were from corners and freekicks crossed in, Cheatski did this. West Ham. Villa.

Back