• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

No false narrative at all. Are you contesting that in our Poch hay day we had a very settled side? We used a very small group and there was minimal rotation. We almost won the PL that way - and in fact Leicester did exactly that with virtually the same team all season! We made very few changes to our first team and there was very little rotation. In fact, we played a high intensity pressing game and everyone lauded Poch for how fit our first team was and remained throughout.

He now has a larger squad of (hopefully) similar quality players and seems to think Uber rotation is the way to keep all the squad happy. It isn’t. The secret is play well and keep your shirt. Lose firm and/or get injured and you have to fight to win your shirt back.

Poch is contradicting his first principles - and compounding his error by sticking with players who don’t want to be here long term at the expense of others who do. Madness imo

I challenged your examples because they were very inaccurate.
Let me ask you this; we have a squad whose main refreshers this seasons have been injured. That leaves most having played (including summer international tournaments) constant football for four seasons. Is it possible that has had any influence on the matter? Let’s start there...

I challenged your examples because they were very inaccurate.
Let me ask you this; we have a squad whose main refreshers this seasons have been injured. That leaves most having played (including summer international tournaments) constant football for four seasons. Is it possible that has had any influence on the matter? Let’s start there...

It really is excuse after excuse from you. Yes we have been unfortunate with injuries (again!!!!) but that is no reason to continue to play out of formers and wantaways when there is absolutely no need to rotate Willynilly to the extent he does.

It would help this discussion if you’d listened to Kane and not written it off before hearing. He made the point clearly (it was actually a self-criticism of the team!)...

The main thing we can agree on is the overall ineptitude of the FBs, neither of whom is up to the task against the two best and most aggressive FBs in club football right now. The idea would certainly have been to push them back, but yes, they don’t have it anymore.

I believe we went with that midfield three dialed in to play. That we didn’t was down to the early goal provoking a massive response from Liverpool, our inability to keep bringing the game to them as we did in that first minute (this was the general point/complaint Kane had) and when we did get the ball, being far too conservative/wasteful with it. Eriksen was awful; we can both agree he should not be playing these days, and I think had Lamela been fit he wouldn’t have.

Again we come to details and fine margins; had Sonny scored, we win the game. Had Rose and Aurier not farted, we stand a great chance of seeing it out. I know, if my Auntie had balls, etc...

Back to your final point and “logic”. I am not employing a metric, we all saw it. Compounded by what Kane said (you’d have to read/listen to evaluate if you believe him) it stands (for me) as a fact.

Lets be honest Steff, you are more interested in shouting down any naysayers than actually having a discussion. I get it, youre fired up, but whats to be gained?

Anyway, I assume you mean these comments?

“I don’t think [there were positives],” said the England captain, who stunned the League leaders by giving Spurs a 47-second lead.

“Whenever you lose, you can never be encouraged. We battled, but you expect that at this level in every game. It’s disappointing being 1-0 up at half-time, being ahead and not being able to see it through.”

“When you lose a game, it’s not a step forward. It showed we’ve got to work hard to win in the Premier League. It’s disappointing, so we’ll assess it this week and see where we can improve and take it into Everton next week.”

Kane has been increasingly forthright about Tottenham’s malaise this season and after the 2-2 draw at Olympiacos last month he demanded more maturity from his team-mates and said he could not understand why they keep making the same mistakes.

His downbeat demeanour on Sunday suggested he is no closer to answers eight matches later.

“I felt, especially [in the] second half, we could have kept the ball better, which would have allowed us to take the pressure off ourselves instead of getting pinned deep,” Kane said. “Balls in the box kept coming and coming. I felt we could have been a bit braver in that aspect. When we went 2-1 down, we started to do it better, create two or three chances towards the end, but it was too late.”

Kane’s double against Red Star took him to 18 goals in 22 Champions League appearances, but there is already a danger of Spurs being cut adrift from the top four, after impressive wins for Leicester and Chelsea this weekend moved them both eight points clear of Mauricio Pochettino’s side.

“Not at this stage,” Kane said. “There’s a lot of football to be played. A winning run has got to be the aim, but we’ve got to turn it around quick. When you’re in form like this, where you can’t get a run of wins together, it’s difficult. It’s down to us to stick together, to do more and make sure we come out of it.”

I dont see a point of scoring early changing the game for the worse.

And I do also question that rather naive notion of " provoking a massive response from Liverpool". Lets be honest, its not like Liverpool went into the game thinking "We'll give it 6/10 today, oh no! They scored! Better go full 10/10!" is it?

Liverpool are chasing the title, they were going for it regardless. There was also little difference between their performances first or second half, look at Klopps HT comments:

Dejan Lovren has now revealed what Klopp told his players at half-time. He said: ‘We came in at half-time and the boss said: “Usually I never say this, but I am satisfied even though we are 1-0 down. But we need to continue like that and keep our nerve”.

‘We knew we would have another chance and we did it. It’s a massive, massive win.’

Rather annoyingly, they were also entirely predictable in that performance. Which means things should be mitigated.

Where I agree with you is that re really under performed. Whatever good intentions we went with clearly didnt manifest.

And it would seem Kane thinks the same as well. And its notable that its not a one off, but an ongoing thing.

Doing the dreaded reading between the lines - Id suggest he is deeply unimpressed, and unhappy, with how the team is going this year.

The only question becomes - how long before he too looks to the manager as the reason why?

It really is excuse after excuse from you. Yes we have been unfortunate with injuries (again!!!!) but that is no reason to continue to play out of formers and wantaways when there is absolutely no need to rotate Willynilly to the extent he does.

Select examples which stand up to even minor factual scrutiny and perhaps there’d be nothing for me to say. One man’s “excuses” are another man’s facts!

Lets be honest Steff, you are more interested in shouting down any naysayers than actually having a discussion.
/QUOTE]

You just contributed to a thread I created precisely for the reasons you have levelled at me (I call this ‘the mirror theory’ by the way). I’d suggest this alone shows you are wrong here, aside from me telling you that is the case.

In fact, the reason I started this other thread is because people were starting to throw out lazy falsehoods or simply ignore answers that were out there to questions they were asking.

Funny thing is, I have certainly questioned a few of his decisions, but that gets lost in the polarized rush. Thus that thread. I think I’ll strive to keep discussions there as it appears to have brought a better side out of all of us - me included.

You just contributed to a thread I created precisely for the reasons you have levelled at me (I call this ‘the mirror theory’ by the way). I’d suggest this alone shows you are wrong here, aside from me telling you that is the case.

In fact, the reason I started this other thread is because people were starting to throw out lazy falsehoods or simply ignore answers that were out there to questions they were asking.

Funny thing is, I have certainly questioned a few of his decisions, but that gets lost in the polarized rush. Thus that thread. I think I’ll strive to keep discussions there as it appears to have brought a better side out of all of us - me included.

This post preceded that, I hadnt seen it at all when I replied.

Im not sure what it proves as wrong though, youve lost me there.

Since the match you have been really rather aggressive, calling people names and certainly shouting people down. Thats not me trying to dig you out, or wind you up - its purely observation. In that context, having not seen your other thread, I dont think it was unfair to question your intent to discuss.

And even then, I responded in full. Just as I did in the other thread.

Tottenham-Hotspur-Premier-League-Trendlines.png

This post preceded that, I hadnt seen it at all when I replied.

Im not sure what it proves as wrong though, youve lost me there.

Since the match you have been really rather aggressive, calling people names and certainly shouting people down. Thats not me trying to dig you out, or wind you up - its purely observation. In that context, having not seen your other thread, I dont think it was unfair to question your intent to discuss.

And even then, I responded in full. Just as I did in the other thread.

Calling people names? Shouting people down? Rather aggressive?

Perspectives again.

I see it as responding directly to the then-tone/level of discussion. I frequently make detailed posts, and am met with an air of incredulous rudeness. Thus the tone is set:

That I have continued to make my case in a similar manner to that which has been made by others appears to trouble you. Sadly I cannot help that.

I always strive for respect and to be respectful, freely apologizing when wrong/if someone feels unintentionally offended. It is not -I notice- a practice many around here engage in. Still, I can only control what I write.

Why don’t you post some examples of my being aggressive, calling people names and shouting people down? If I have done so without reason or without reacting to a perceived similar approach, I have no problem at all apologizing.

Select examples which stand up to even minor factual scrutiny and perhaps there’d be nothing for me to say. One man’s “excuses” are another man’s facts!

You don’t like my examples ( and dismiss Wanyama out of hand) and I could produce many more of record signings going straight into PL teams. However, my principal point is that we almost won the PL (twice) playing a settled team with limited rotation and recognisable tactics and formation.

Do you not acknowledge that Poch has deviated from his own successful formula? And please don’t give me a whole list of excuses. Top management is about maximising strengths and minimising weaknesses to produce a winning formula whatever the circumstances. After all he has a lot of top quality players at his disposal even given our recent injuries. The loss of form of so many is extremely worrying and somewhat mystifying .

You don’t like my examples ( and dismiss Wanyama out of hand) and I could produce many more of record signings going straight into PL teams. However, my principal point is that we almost won the PL (twice) playing a settled team with limited rotation and recognisable tactics and formation.

Do you not acknowledge that Poch has deviated from his own successful formula? And please don’t give me a whole list of excuses. Top management is about maximising strengths and minimising weaknesses to produce a winning formula whatever the circumstances. After all he has a lot of top quality players at his disposal even given our recent injuries. The loss of form of so many is extremely worrying and somewhat mystifying .

I don’t dislike or like your examples. They just, IMO, don’t stand up to scrutiny in the comparisons being offered/discussed.
Wanyama had Premier League experience.

You asked me to “please not give you a whole list of excuses” which to me would be counter-points. However, in respect of your wishes, I will leave it there as I am getting the idea you don’t want this “conversation” to go any further unless we are in total agreement.

I don't think we almost won the league once, let alone twice.

Taking your point about a settled team though, I took a look at our previous seasons:

In the 2015/16 season when we finished 3rd; Pochettino used a total of 24 players in the PL. Of those players only 13 appeared in 50% or more of the games.

In the 2016/17 season when we finished 2nd; Pochettino used a total of 23 players in the PL. 16 players appeared in 50% or more of those games.

In season 2017/18 we used 25 players in the PL. 13 of them appeared in 50% or more of those games.

In season 2018/19 we used a total of 29 players in the PL. 17 of them appeared in 50% or more of those games.

This season we have already used 23 players and that's with Sessegnon and Foyth not yet having appeared. Of those 23 players used so far , 14 have played 50% of more of the games

I'm not sure whether the above proves or disproves your point really?

We can see that last season we used more players by an average of 5 compared to the previous seasons but that's probably skewed by the raft of injuries we had post World Cup and also the necessity to rest players later in the season with our run to the CL final. While we used more players overall, a similar number (17) appeared in at least half of the games compared to what was IMO our best season (16/17) when 16 players played at least 50% of the league games.

This season it would seem that we will use more players than the seasons prior to last one but probably not as many as last season (unless we sign 4 players in Jan?), but the number appearing in at least half of the games is commensurate so far to seasons 15/16 and 16/17.

Calling people names? Shouting people down? Rather aggressive?

Perspectives again.

I see it as responding directly to the then-tone/level of discussion. I frequently make detailed posts, and am met with an air of incredulous rudeness. Thus the tone is set:

That I have continued to make my case in a similar manner to that which has been made by others appears to trouble you. Sadly I cannot help that.

I always strive for respect and to be respectful, freely apologizing when wrong/if someone feels unintentionally offended. It is not -I notice- a practice many around here engage in. Still, I can only control what I write.

Why don’t you post some examples of my being aggressive, calling people names and shouting people down? If I have done so without reason or without reacting to a perceived similar approach, I have no problem at all apologizing.

Im not going to chase around the board looking for quotes just to try and show you up, Im not Finney.

I know what I saw.

And all I have done is explained what I saw. If you think that bothers me in anyway, well thats really up to you. I dont actually care.

Im not going to chase around the board looking for quotes just to try and show you up, Im not Finney.

I know what I saw.

And all I have done is explained what I saw. If you think that bothers me in anyway, well thats really up to you. I dont actually care.

Hang on.
You make an accusation, you then say you can't be bothered to find examples (in the process throwing a slur at someone else you disagree with), tell me you know what you saw and that you have "explained" it?
Mate.
Come on.
There's enough of that sort of thing going on in the world right now without it infiltrating our forums.
Again, IF you can point to anything specific, I would be more than happy to apologize and admit I was wrong if that is the case.

I think it is funny TBH.

Go read through the match thread if you are so inclined, that's where I saw most of it.

If not, take my word for it, don't, whatever.

No slur on Finney, just picking up on a rather odd behaviour of his. Nothing to do with my agreeing with him or not. Nice added spice on your part.

Go read through the match thread if you are so inclined, that's where I saw most of it.

If not, take my word for it, don't, whatever.

No slur on Finney, just picking up on a rather odd behaviour of his. Nothing to do with my agreeing with him or not. Nice added spice on your part.

I'm not trying to add any spice whatsoever. You are accusing me of doing something and then you're doing it yourself. Just pointing it out. No malice at all. I am not going looking mate, I didn't make the accusations.

Look, you're clearly upset by my refusing to cease discussion.
I'm sorry about that, and sorry for holding a different set of views to yours.

Here's an olive branch to move on.

Back