• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Actually what he has there is if, might, think about, not the definate at all.
The only definitive is he will not run away.
I can only assume that you did not read that before you posted it.

I read it fully thanks;), and yes there are a lot of ifs, maybes, mights etc

But similarly, Eriksen had a lot of maybes, perhaps etc in his statement in the summer. As i say if people want to throw the 'lack of commitment' thing at Eriksen then it has to be thrown at the manager, despite the not run away thing at the end. After all, the manager sets the tone of the football side of the club and which manager of a big side has openly said they'd have walked away if the result of a CL cup final had gone their way, rather than say something to the effect of "they are so hungry to keep achieving etc"?

Precisely. Has Poch turned a corner, or is he still "learning" to use Steff's polite expression

Hahahaha, I saw what you did there!!!! I believe it. I also believe he has pretty much learned who he can/cannot trust. But he will still have to manage th squad through January. That means using some of the wastrels I suppose; hopefully he sticks with the same team for Sunday though...

There is nowhere in that where he says he “would” have left the club - unless I am missing something. It’s all “may” and “might”.
I think there’s huge room for different interpretations.

Ok, how do YOU interpret the comments? How do you think the players interpreted the comments?
And, lastly, how do you think the comments differ from Eriksen's "i'm interested in a new challenge away from Spurs, but hey i might stay though" coimments in the Summer?

I read it fully thanks;), and yes there are a lot of ifs, maybes, mights etc

But similarly, Eriksen had a lot of maybes, perhaps etc in his statement in the summer. As i say if people want to throw the 'lack of commitment' thing at Eriksen then it has to be thrown at the manager, despite the not run away thing at the end. After all, the manager sets the tone of the football side of the club and which manager of a big side has openly said they'd have walked away if the result of a CL cup final had gone their way, rather than say something to the effect of "they are so hungry to keep achieving etc"?

I've never been critical of Eriksen for wanting to leave, criticised him for other stuff, but not that.
Eriksen has always been up front about that and we can no complaints about him leaving.

Doubtless Poch was unwise to voice his thoughts to the media about possibly leaving had we won the CL but the way I see it, what he was trying to say is he is not one to run away from failure.

He came here to help build us up into becoming one of the big boys. Winning the CL would certainly have signalled he had completed his task so if that's not a good moment to move on, exactly when is?

Let's face it, he will know that the longer he stays the more chance things will eventually go wrong and he will be sacked.

Anyhow, whatever, we did not win the CL so is he not doing the honourable thing by staying in order to continue his task? What better way to show loyalty and dedication than to knuckle down and start all over again, knowing as he did that this squad was reaching a watershed and would need rebuilding?

No easy task, especially given the budgetry constraints imposed by Levy compared with the seemingly limitless resources available to the Citys and Uniteds of this world.

But regardless of how you or I interpret Poch's words it seems the squad are 400% behind him so surely that is all that really matters?

COYS!

Don't you mean something being true because Pochettino HIMSELF re-iterated it?

This is what he said in July; he confirmed that he WOULD have left had Spurs won the CL: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49042602

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says he may have left the club if they had won the Champions League.

The Argentine led Spurs to their first final in June, where they were beaten 2-0 by Liverpool.
Pochettino said prior to the game that he might need to "think about doing something different" should Spurs win.

"When you touch the glory, you behave differently, the players behave differently, the challenge becomes different," Pochettino said.

"If the result had been different, maybe you can think it is a moment to step out of the club and give it a possibility for a real new chapter with a new coaching staff.

"But, to finish like this? I am not a person who won't face problems or avoids difficult situations."

Put to him that many managers would have taken the alternative view, and stayed with the club if they had won, Pochettino said: "I agree with you.

"But I know Tottenham. It is not the same as another club.

"Myself and the coaching staff are not the same, no better or worse, just different. That is a normal mindset but we are getting results with ours."

So, it's clear from the horse's mouth i'm afraid; no misinterpretation, no mixeing up of words or any other of the usual excuses. Forget how we as fans take it, how do you think the players will take it, together with prospective signings? Why would they sign to play under a coach who says if we reach the pinnacle of success within a year, he's off?

No, not having it. He was being asked to comment on a hypothetical, and one that had already passed second or third hand though the media lens, at that. WOULD have left Spurs? And in the very next sentence, the word is may again. It's balderdash.

Last edited:
Ok, how do YOU interpret the comments? How do you think the players interpreted the comments?
And, lastly, how do you think the comments differ from Eriksen's "i'm interested in a new challenge away from Spurs, but hey i might stay though" coimments in the Summer?

Eriksen's comments were the first public statement he made, however for two years he repeatedly turned down offer after offer, and discussing it in a couple of cases, making his lack of commitment plain for all to see.

Doubtless Poch was unwise to voice his thoughts to the media about possibly leaving had we won the CL but the way I see it, what he was trying to say is he is not one to run away from failure.

He came here to help build us up into becoming one of the big boys. Winning the CL would certainly have signalled he had completed his task so if that's not a good moment to move on, exactly when is?

Let's face it, he will know that the longer he stays the more chance things will eventually go wrong and he will be sacked.

Anyhow, whatever, we did not win the CL so is he not doing the honourable thing by staying in order to continue his task? What better way to show loyalty and dedication than to knuckle down and start all over again, knowing as he did that this squad was reaching a watershed and would need rebuilding?

No easy task, especially given the budgetry constraints imposed by Levy compared with the seemingly limitless resources available to the Citys and Uniteds of this world.

But regardless of how you or I interpret Poch's words it seems the squad are 400% behind him so surely that is all that really matters?

COYS!

I mean...this is a great way to look at it. He could have just left anyway. Sod the rebuild. Sod trying to get to a CL final again. Just leave. It may never get better.

All this after quite literally turning down the opportunity to go for Real Madrid. And people are questioning his loyalty.

Let’s play his quotes through to the logical conclusion in light of what has happened recently...which players specifically did he turn off with the CL comments? Was it Eriksen, Toby, Rose etc? Players who want out anyway? Or was it Kane, Winks, Lamela, Lloris? Players who are quite clearly committed anyway? The lengths our fans are going to to excuse the performances and attitude of a group of players who at best are struggling to raise themselves and at worse have given up, is frankly astonishing given the man the argument is against is a guy who doesn’t actually need to be here at all and has done wonders for us.

I truly think Poch plays with the idea that he could leave as a power play to the club - a reminder that despite his obvious loyalty, they can’t skimp on contracts for his staff and as a way for him to maintain political power. It’s good for him to toy with the idea that he may leave. And the players that want to leave anyway aren’t going to give it a second thought - I’d bet they couldn’t care less at this point.

Manager Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham's summer signings - France international Tanguy Ndombele, 22, Argentine Giovani Lo Celso, 23, and English defender Ryan Sessegnon, 19 - will need at least 18 months before they can regularly produce their best football for the club. (Telegraph).

What a weird thing to suggest - for a start Lo Celso is only on loan for a year.

Manager Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham's summer signings - France international Tanguy Ndombele, 22, Argentine Giovani Lo Celso, 23, and English defender Ryan Sessegnon, 19 - will need at least 18 months before they can regularly produce their best football for the club. (Telegraph).

What a weird thing to suggest - for a start Lo Celso is only on loan for a year.

Don't we have an obligation to buy Lo Celso because the loan was only used as a mechanism to screw PSG out of their sell on clause? My understanding of the deal is that Levy fudged PSG good and proper.

I mean...this is a great way to look at it. He could have just left anyway. Sod the rebuild. Sod trying to get to a CL final again. Just leave. It may never get better.

All this after quite literally turning down the opportunity to go for Real Madrid. And people are questioning his loyalty.

Let’s play his quotes through to the logical conclusion in light of what has happened recently...which players specifically did he turn off with the CL comments? Was it Eriksen, Toby, Rose etc? Players who want out anyway? Or was it Kane, Winks, Lamela, Lloris? Players who are quite clearly committed anyway? The lengths our fans are going to to excuse the performances and attitude of a group of players who at best are struggling to raise themselves and at worse have given up, is frankly astonishing given the man the argument is against is a guy who doesn’t actually need to be here at all and has done wonders for us.

I truly think Poch plays with the idea that he could leave as a power play to the club - a reminder that despite his obvious loyalty, they can’t skimp on contracts for his staff and as a way for him to maintain political power. It’s good for him to toy with the idea that he may leave. And the players that want to leave anyway aren’t going to give it a second thought - I’d bet they couldn’t care less at this point.

I don't think the quotes turn players off in the way you're suggesting. Instead, they create uncertainty amongst the group and change the dynamic a bit. Instead of "we're all in this together", the group and the group dynamic gets unsettled because the guy at the top is now throwing out a suggestion that he might not be around for long and that he's not behind them.

I always go by the principle that if one or two players aren't performing, it's on them. If it's the majority of the group, that's on the manager and the majority of the group hasn't been performing for 12-18 months now.

I also think it's unfair to say that some of the players couldn't care less. I don't buy that for a minute. It's an amazing slight on their professionalism. They may be disappointed at their own personal situations and that may be affecting their performances but they're human. I don't believe they aren't trying and I'd point to Eriksen against Olympiakos as an example. He had a horrid evening where he was utter garbage and gave the ball away 20-odd times. Yet, he improved in the last 20 mins and kept showing for the ball and trying things.

I don't think the quotes turn players off in the way you're suggesting. Instead, they create uncertainty amongst the group and change the dynamic a bit. Instead of "we're all in this together", the group and the group dynamic gets unsettled because the guy at the top is now throwing out a suggestion that he might not be around for long and that he's not behind them.

I always go by the principle that if one or two players aren't performing, it's on them. If it's the majority of the group, that's on the manager and the majority of the group hasn't been performing for 12-18 months now.

I also think it's unfair to say that some of the players couldn't care less. I don't buy that for a minute. It's an amazing slight on their professionalism. They may be disappointed at their own personal situations and that may be affecting their performances but they're human. I don't believe they aren't trying and I'd point to Eriksen against Olympiakos as an example. He had a horrid evening where he was utter garbage and gave the ball away 20-odd times. Yet, he improved in the last 20 mins and kept showing for the ball and trying things.

I was specifically referring to the players that want to leave, and saying that if they do, quotes from the Manager aren’t going to make a difference anyway. They will not care about them, because they are gone anyway.

And I really think, for the most part, Poch has been using the media to put pressure on Levy where he needs to. The reminder that he could go is designed to extract the maximum from Levy, and through that lens a lot of the quotes make sense. He is obviously loyal, as shown by not jumping to Real Madrid when he had the chance, but I don’t think he wants that loyalty to be taken advantage of.

I would also think, in the negotiations for the contracts of the players that have agreed to stay here for the long term - Kane, Sanchez, Dele, Winks - Poch will have been pretty clear that he is sticking around and it will have been part of the reason why they agree to sign. The quotes in the media are largely political if you ask me. And the ones about Sissoko etc, or even the most recent one above, aren’t much of anything. Deflection from any one individual, lowering expectations and promoting a team dynamic.

Was just about to click on the latest Pochettino interview on Sky.
Then I thought, what’s the point! He will totally contradict what he says later tonight or go off at a tangent about blaming the documentary for the defeat today or some other gem!

Last edited:
What if we win?

We have played brick for almost a year with that setup, we finally get a decent performance midweek and the "logical" step is to revert right back to what wasn't working?

It doesn't matter if we win/lose or draw, it is clear nothing is learned and we have no fudging plan ...

Winks for N'dombele, Rose for Davies and Toby back in for Sanchez against a team with pace? how does any of that make any fudging sense?

The excuses for idiocy have to have a limit sometime?

Back