• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match ratings vs Villa (H)

Once again I'm scratching my head when reading some of what has been written in this thread. For me walker was a sound as Vertonghen defensively and Dempsey, while not being outstanding, did not have a poor game by any stretch of the imagination.

I've just finished watching the game again and I couldn't agree more. I thought Walker was better than he has been of late and it was Dempsey's best outing for us. It seems some preconceived notions are colouring the match ratings. Imagine that.

We were great today from start to finish and gave up only a couple of decent chances in the whole match. My only complaint was that we're not clinical enough.

Lloris 6. Not much to do. A couple of good interceptions. Nearly undid everything by presenting Villa with an open goal after an appalling throw out.
Walker 6. Doesnt link up with Lennon as well as Verts/BAE does with Bale. They should watch Piennar and Baines performance on Saturday to see how it should be done.
Gallas 7 Untroubled
Caulker 7 Gets better and more assured every game. Lucky first goal for Spurs as it came off his heel after a poor Defoe mishit
Verts 7.5 Links up well with Bale and a constant offensive threat. Not exposed today like he has been by tricky/speedy wingers in previous games
Lennon 7 - Unimpressive first half where he didnt create any space for himself to be given the ball. Much better second half and really well taken goal. Good defensively as usual
Dembele 7 - Looks good in possession. Needs to release it earlier sometimes. Once caught in possession in a very dangerous position in the first half
Sandro 7.5 Solid. He often makes forraging runs and plays further up the field than Dembele. I would rather Sandro hold and Dembele get further forward
Bale 7.5. Some brilliant runs and crosses . Virtually all his corners and freekicks were delivered in the right place. Several decent shots and unlucky not to score after a great save.
Dempsey 6 Not yet settled fully imo. Tries hard but the game seems to pass him by too often. Should have scored with a header late on.
Defoe 7 Tried hard. Lots of shots - not many of them threatened a goal. Not really a target man and it showed in the first half. Not helped by Dempsey being so far away from him.

Ade 7.5 looked class when he came on but to put in context this was against a tiring Villa side already 2-0 down and reduced to 10 men.
Sigg 7 looked better than Dempsey but see comment above for Ade
Townsend 6 short cameo but should have passed rather than try a spectacular speculative shot at the end.

AVB 7. Poor first half where Spurs's performance was typical of other home games this season against the likes of QPR, Norwich and WBA. We improved much in the second half when Lennon got into the game and our right side became an attacking threat to match that of the left side. Once that clicked, we overran Villa. Got some luck at critical moments - Bentke missing a golden chance to give Villa the lead and then Caulker fortuitously opening the scoring off his heel following a dragged shot by Defoe. The game changed in our favour on those pivotal moments.

I've just finished watching the game again and I couldn't agree more. I thought Walker was better than he has been of late and it was Dempsey's best outing for us. It seems some preconceived notions are colouring the match ratings. Imagine that.

We were great today from start to finish and gave up only a couple of decent chances in the whole match. My only complaint was that we're not clinical enough.

I didn't see the game live, was following it on the sky sports app on my phone, but they were saying we were dominating all game, I was a bit surprised when I logged on to GG at half time to see everyone slating our performance.

I didn't see the game live, was following it on the sky sports app on my phone, but they were saying we were dominating all game, I was a bit surprised when I logged on to GG at half time to see everyone slating our performance.
I can't understand it either. We dominated Villa for the whole match and the reaction on here was not in keeping with what I was seeing. The comments in the OMT seemed predominantly negative which is getting very tedious.
We are becoming a very hard bunch to please.

I can't understand it either. We dominated Villa for the whole match and the reaction on here was not in keeping with what I was seeing. The comments in the OMT seemed predominantly negative which is getting very tedious.
We are becoming a very hard bunch to please.

Once upon a time I used to wonder why Spurs fans were labelled fickle....

Lloris 6. Not much to do. A couple of good interceptions. Nearly undid everything by presenting Villa with an open goal after an appalling throw out.
Walker 6. Doesnt link up with Lennon as well as Verts/BAE does with Bale. They should watch Piennar and Baines performance on Saturday to see how it should be done.
Gallas 7 Untroubled
Caulker 7 Gets better and more assured every game. Lucky first goal for Spurs as it came off his heel after a poor Defoe mishit
Verts 7.5 Links up well with Bale and a constant offensive threat. Not exposed today like he has been by tricky/speedy wingers in previous games
Lennon 7 - Unimpressive first half where he didnt create any space for himself to be given the ball. Much better second half and really well taken goal. Good defensively as usual
Dembele 7 - Looks good in possession. Needs to release it earlier sometimes. Once caught in possession in a very dangerous position in the first half
Sandro 7.5 Solid. He often makes forraging runs and plays further up the field than Dembele. I would rather Sandro hold and Dembele get further forward
Bale 7.5. Some brilliant runs and crosses . Virtually all his corners and freekicks were delivered in the right place. Several decent shots and unlucky not to score after a great save.
Dempsey 6 Not yet settled fully imo. Tries hard but the game seems to pass him by too often. Should have scored with a header late on.
Defoe 7 Tried hard. Lots of shots - not many of them threatened a goal. Not really a target man and it showed in the first half. Not helped by Dempsey being so far away from him.

Ade 7.5 looked class when he came on but to put in context this was against a tiring Villa side already 2-0 down and reduced to 10 men.
Sigg 7 looked better than Dempsey but see comment above for Ade
Townsend 6 short cameo but should have passed rather than try a spectacular speculative shot at the end.

AVB 7. Poor first half where Spurs's performance was typical of other home games this season against the likes of QPR, Norwich and WBA. We improved much in the second half when Lennon got into the game and our right side became an attacking threat to match that of the left side. Once that clicked, we overran Villa. Got some luck at critical moments - Bentke missing a golden chance to give Villa the lead and then Caulker fortuitously opening the scoring off his heel following a dragged shot by Defoe. The game changed in our favour on those pivotal moments.

=D> About the best ratings and summary so far. Agree with most of it, but would be slightly more critical of Lloris. Was a bit alarmed at the way he punched out a couple of times when he should have caught. Maybe that was just down to nerves on his League debut. On the plus side his sweeper-keeper role looks promising - once our defenders get to know what to expect.

As to Townsend's speculative shot, actually thought that was a positive. It was a decent effort and if you don't buy a ticket ...

Lloris 6 Not much to do, nearly cost us with that poor throw out
Walker 6.5 thought he did OK would have liked to see him more involved in attack
Gallas 7.5 class
Caulker 7.5 very good has a bright future
Vertonghen 8 quickly becoming the signing of the summer in EPL
Lennon 7.5 was going to say he was wasteful in final third and then scored a lovely goal more of that Azza
Dembele 8 MOM bossed the match
Sandro 8 Moussa and him set the tone for the whole match had Villa chasing shadows
Bale 6 not his best day, selfish at times and awful dive
Dempsey 7 Thought this was best performance from our AM on the year should have scored but thought he linked play very well
Defoe 5 not his day at all

Ade 7.5 great cameo may have earned a start vs Cheslki

Villa - 0 to think this club was challenging for CL places a few seasons ago they are absolutely shocking worst team I have seen in the league over the last 2 seasons aside from Wolves

Villa - 0 to think this club was challenging for CL places a few seasons ago they are absolutely shocking worst team I have seen in the league over the last 2 seasons aside from Wolves

I cannot think of a single player of theirs I'd even want in our squad in place of anyone we currently have.

The Baggies are by far the best team in the midlands right now

boing boing

Lloris 6
Walker 5.5
Gallas 7
Caulker 7
Vertonghen 7
Lennon 6.5
Dembele 7
Sandro 7
Bale 6
Dempsey 5.5
Defoe 6

Adebayor 7
Sigurðsson 6
Townsend 6

Lloris - 7 - Showed he's good at rushing out and dealt with what was thrown at him.

Walker - 6,5 - Improved in the 2nd half, but wasn't really tested defensively.
Gallas - 7 - Seemed composed throughout the game.
Caulker- 7,5 - Lucky goal, but was nearly faultless and really like that he doesn't just hoof the ball when put under pressure.
Vertonghen - 7 - Another good performance.

Sandro - 7 - Defensively perfect again, but wasted posession on several occasions.
Dembele - 7,5 - Looks so classy when he plays, also very good at winning the ball back.
Lennon - 7 - Good goal which hopefully give him more confidence so he tries more often.
Bale - 7 - Not yet up to his previous level, but alway looks a threat and delivered several good balls from set pieces.
Dempsey - 6 - Not that bad, but should have scored and is imo not enough involved in that position.

Defoe - 6,5 - Tried (a lot), but it wasn't really his day.
-----
Ade - 7 - Looked good when he came on, although he did play a lot on the wing instead of leading the line from a more central position

AVB - 7 - 2nd half was the best I've seen us play under AVB, although Aston Villa wasn't really up for it. Was very happy he didn't just want to contain the 1-0 lead as opposed to some of the other games.

Lloris 6 - One awful throw that could have cost us the match. Otherwise he made a couple of routine saves and rushed out of his goal well on a couple of occasions. Distribution with feet better than Friedel's usual standard.

Walker 6,5 - I thought he struggled a bit in the first half. Failed to get close to Benteke when he was on the left and Villa played the ball long towards him. Also had some sloppy involvements on the ball. In the second half he played quite well in my opinion. Sorted out the things he struggled with earlier on, and got forward well. One beautiful cross to Dempsey.

Gallas 7 - Solid defensive performance without being tested too much.

Caulker 7 - Same as Gallas really. Sometimes looks a bit insecure when he takes the ball forward. Looked better in that sense at Swansea when playing on the right side. Doesn't trust his left foot.

Vertonghen 7,5 - Another good performance. Can't recall him having any problems defensively and made good attacking runs, putting a couple of good balls into the box.

Sandro 7,5 - Superb second half, when he not only won the ball well on several occasions, but also managed to do creative things on the ball on a couple of occasions. In the first half he did play a couple of poor passes, but overall a strong performance.

Dembele 7,5 - One very poor pass in the first half that could have beeen costly. Defensively strong and, like Sandro, won possession well, particularly in the second half. Strong on the ball as well, and always good at going past his man to make space for himself. I do notice that he is not entirely comfortable with hitting longer passes, for example out to our wingers.

Lennon 7 - Terrific goal, but his performance up until then was a bit disappointing. Was indecisive in possession in the final third and wasted a few potential opportunties. More direct and confident in his running after that goal.

Dempsey 6 - Can't recall him being involved much, which is not a good sign when playing in that position. To his credit he always works hard, but he is not making to much of an impact on the game. Should have scored.

Bale 6,5 - I thought he hit some good set pieces. In open play his performance was a bit disappointing though. His runs down the left never really came to much, and he wasn't involved as much as I would have liked either. Unlucky not to score.

Defoe 6,5 - Did okay. Reasonably lively with decent movement, and always looking to find a shooting opportunity. One of his attempts was very good. I still don't think he is a good option as a lone striker at home though.

Adebayor 6,5 - Made a good run on the ball early on into the penalty area. After that I thought he strolled around quite a lot without being too effective. Some decent touches, but not too much substance in the important area of the pitch.

Sigurdsson -

Townsend -

Obviously for me, that the decision to leave out those two is not an ability issue, more likely some politics there.

Bent is definitely out so he'll learn a lesson (fat chance), but it's about work ethics. With so little quality and skill they can't afford any passengers in the team.

Lloris 6
Walker 6
Gallas 7
Caulker 7
Vertonghen 7.5
Lennon 7
Dembele 7
Sandro 8
Bale 6
Dempsey 6
Defoe 6

Adebayor 7
Sigurðsson 6
Townsend 6

Lloris 6 - One awful throw that could have cost us the match.

Sorry, but even if that resulted in a goal - I'm not sure the ref would have blown for full time immediately afterwards. We could have still go on to win the game (for argument's sake.

So - yes, his mistake could have cost us a goal but not necessarily the game

Back