• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match ratings Chelsea

Thought Lennon was bright and Sig will be a good player is he ever regains full confidence. He didn't seem to be hiding too much which is a good sign. I would prefer him to Dempsey at this point as I think he gets more involved. Gutted we swapped VDV for those two though.

Friedel - 5

Walker - 3
Gallas - 2
Caulker - 6
Vertonghen - 4

Lennon - 8
Sig - 6
Dempsey - 4
Sandro - 6
Hudd - 5

Defoe - 7

Poor.

Brad - 5 - I think Lloris has to be given a chance next game based on this

Walker - 5 - got wound up by Mata all game and eventually paid the price - nearly got the equaliser
Gallas - 4 - poor
Caulker - 6 - tried
Vertonghen - 6.5 - caught out a few times

Lennon - 7 - livewire
Sigurdsson - 5 - offered little
Sandro - 6 - ok
Hudd - 6 - some neat passing
Demspey - 4 - one to forget

Defoe - 7 - worked very hard, grabbed a goal

Ade - 6 - not enough
Livermore - 6 - offered a bit of energy

Friedel 6 - I just feel that at 41 we cannot expect anything more than fundamentally decent goalkeeping. In matches where you might need extra I don't think his body allows it any more.

Walker 5 - Really bizarre this season with regards to his poor relationship with his immediate CB, and today we saw it ruthlessly exposed. Great effort, great determination but something's not right with his comprehension of 'the system'. I think he really misses Younes.

Gallas 5 - One of 'mad' games. From the poor defensive header to Cahill and the booking, he was just bonkers/getting caught often in tandem with Walker.

Caulker 6 - Strong, determined, fairly solid.

Vertonghen 7.5 - Would've been a 9 for me had he not stopped playing to the whistle and half-trudged back in the lead up to their equalizer. His almost-routine goal-saving tackle was epic, and he is a wonderful player overall.

Sandro 7 - Strong and put in a very very tough shift.
Hudd 6 - If only he could get enough stamina to play 90 mins. he was the covering player in the lead-up to equalizer and his fatigue showed as he failed to close down; AVB had been warming Livermore up knowing Hudd was fading.

Lennon 7 - Good game today, though sadly much of it in coverage.

Dempsey 6 - wrong position first-half given the players available/team on the pitch, much better second-half when swapped with Sig.

Sigurdsson 6 - hopelessly gun shy in the first half, very frozen performance. Much better second-half but I still expect more and hope he can deliver one day.

Defoe 7.5 - thought he was really really good today.

Livermore 5.5 - not one of his better cameos TBF.

Ade 6 - looked alarmingly forlone, rusty semi-disintersted by the end.

'Steff, I totally agree with all of this!

Friedel 6 - Did well to keep a few out, but the goals were very hard to save from the distance they came from.

Walker 5 - Got too emotionally involved with Mata to think straight. Physically the stronger and faster, but totally blew it psychologically.

Gallas 4 - Flatters to deceive and got found out badly. Tries to hard to look good in the end looks like he is past his age and can't accept it. (I have never given out a 4 before)

Caulker 6.5 - Surprisingly mobile given his heft, hardworking and very solid very capable.

Vertonghen 6.5 - Made a few great tackles but the ones where he ignored tracking back killed us. Contender for MOM til then

Sandro 7 - Lots of hard work and great tackles as usual

Hudd 7 - Did well for the time he was on. Coach was right to get him off when he started to slow, but very good performance very hardworking, and reliable. Midfield sort of collapsed when he left.

Lennon 8 - Best performance ever. Took on the whole Chelsea midfield and defence and looked a relentless menace

Dempsey 6 - He's no midfielder but provided some entertainment value when he ran round in circles tracked by 3-4 chelsea midfielders until he gave up possession.

Siggy 6 - the new jenas. misunderstood player whose box-to-box role meant he had to be the extra man everywhere. and he did it well. chasing down the chelsea midfield like a rabid dog, and taking oscar out mostly. must do better at set pieces, but probably knackered playing against a very classy chelsea midfield.

Defoe 7 - scored and got into good positions but should have done better with a few if he had passed. much better out on the wings, but he sometimes looks to play the ball back so that he can get into a forward position, when he should have just crossed it early into gaps he created by going out wide in the first place.

Ade 5 - very poor first touch, low effort etc. not sure what happened but his poorest performance for a long time. its a quarter way through the season and he better buck up!

The most frustrating thing about Sig is that we shipped VDV out so Sig could replace him. We miss VDV's finishing, passing and I fear we'll miss him in North London Derbies from now on. He got the rivalry straight away and always gave their fans stick, which we don't see often enough from our players considering that Arsenal players take turns in slating us.

Sig could still turn out to be a great signing, but he needs to start producing quickly or the crowd will turn on him if they haven't already.

I agree too - but I think he believed Huddlestone was covering for him. Doesnt excuse his laxness though.

As it unfolded I immediately saw Hudd was covering. I grimmaced. Having seen Livermore warming up 5 mins earlier, I'd said to my mate he was getting Hudd off because he knew at this point in the game he could not afford anyone out there who was out of puff. Hudd failed to close down, I felt the worst knowing the ball was coming across, and there we were...yes, he should've covered, but the team knew he was on last legs. Verts needed to be sharper at that critical moment. Love the man, fantastic player, but this was a criminal mistake a a critical time and I'm sure he himself knows it better than anyone.

Had to watch this tee-total as I was driving but at least I paid a bit more attention (and didn't post here too at the time).

My thoughts...

Friedel; was a toughie but down the centre of the goal, would have hoped he would at least stand up. Distribution was a lot better.

Walker. If you're gonna be ****y, then walk the walk - Mata made a fool of him whilst still being a gentleman. As I've said before, know your limits.

Verts. Bar the fatigue at the end (no doubt due to covering the left himself - think BAE) thought he was fantastic.

Gallas. Looks too emotional and that probably doesn't help him working with a young CB

Caulker. Still a long way off IMO and purely down to lacking in belief in his own ability. Needs more confidence.

Lennon. Well done son, made an arse of Cole a couple of times and really took the lead to make a difference. Perhaps the lack of Bale helped?

Siggy. Thought the fans were a tad harsh here. Worked very hard and still new to the team. Would have prefered more composure though when needed.

Sandro. Love the guy but looked a little out of sorts at times, perhaps too used to Dembele now? Did have to cover the shoddy defence too.

Hudds. Started off very very laboured (not match fit) but started to pull some strings.

Dempsey. Didn't work and a passenger. Needs to be played in position.

Defoe. Alwayds made it clear not a fan but I'm coming aroung to really liking him. Worked worked worked his arse off. Very well done.

Ade. We don't know what has happened so ignore the press. Needs match time.
Livermore. Was a tactical move...

AVB. I really rate the guy. Would have prefered to see Townsend (who I rate) on at some time but he must have his reasons. Would have kept with Lloris too but what do I know.

Team. We were f*cked from the off. No Bale. Spine of the team not right. We were limited.

As for the opposition; small players but impressed by their strenght (Hazard in particular). Mikel did well too IMO.

I think people are a tad harsh on Siggy. He was OK and generally has been way better than Dempsey this year IMO, deserves Clints spot.

As it unfolded I immediately saw Hudd was covering. I grimmaced. Having seen Livermore warming up 5 mins earlier, I'd said to my mate he was getting Hudd off because he knew at this point in the game he could not afford anyone out there who was out of puff. Hudd failed to close down, I felt the worst knowing the ball was coming across, and there we were...yes, he should've covered, but the team knew he was on last legs. Verts needed to be sharper at that critical moment. Love the man, fantastic player, but this was a criminal mistake a a critical time and I'm sure he himself knows it better than anyone.

Verts tinkley fit up the pitch directly contributed to that goal. It is almost inexcusable in my mind to effectively take yourself out of the game like that. There were a few other similar but not as obvious moments like that from Vert in the game where he hardly broke into sprint getting back from an attacking position.

The ratings for Vert in this thread are a tad high I would say. I love the guy but I thought he was not great in this match.

Last edited:
The most frustrating thing about Sig is that we shipped VDV out so Sig could replace him. We miss VDV's finishing, passing and I fear we'll miss him in North London Derbies from now on. He got the rivalry straight away and always gave their fans stick, which we don't see often enough from our players considering that Arsenal players take turns in slating us.

Sig could still turn out to be a great signing, but he needs to start producing quickly or the crowd will turn on him if they haven't already.

Agreed. He is young and technically talented so I have every hope that he will be a big player with us. Lets give him time. I think a goal would work wonders for his confidence. Shame it hasnt really galvanised Dempsey.

Who says you guys only vote when we're winning. Most votes for a game so far. Votes will be counted later today.

Mine are from the 2nd half only, unfortunately missed the first.

Friedel - 5. Looked shakey.

Walker - 5. Something not quite right. With his error I think the decent shot he had a few minutes beforehand went to his head.
Gallas - 4. Very poor.
Caulker - 6. Looked strong.
Vertonghen - 5. Losing the ball and not chasing back led to the equaliser, which changed the game.

Lennon - 7. Looked very sharp.
Huddlestone - 6. Didn't actually see him too involved.
Sandro - 7. Covered a lot and some important tackles.
Sig - 6. Not awful, but reminds me a bit like Jenas (as others have said). I think he's a confidence player.
Dempsey - 5. Not been impressed so far. Reminds of a Pienaar type signing.

Defoe - 7. Loved his effort and teamplay.

#-o Gallas gets 7 because he scores a lucky goal. Seriously makes you wonder how much these journalists know about football.

They also gave Brad and Sig a 7

Reminds of the time someone on here gave ratings based on listening to the game on radio :lol:

Thought Lennon was bright and Sig will be a good player is he ever regains full confidence. He didn't seem to be hiding too much which is a good sign. I would prefer him to Dempsey at this point as I think he gets more involved. Gutted we swapped VDV for those two though.

Me too. At the game on Saturday I was wishing we had VDV playing, he could unlock defences and was our best player. :-( Fcuk me when I saw Daveeeed at half time I wanted him on the pitch!

I'll I can say is, Walker and Gallas' mistakes finally cost us up the a-hole. 4 goals between two players is pretty rare, but they've always had it in them.

Now for the love of GHod, bring back Stalteri!

in the end it was a "good loss" to a good team with many positives to take out of and confirmation of gaps in the squad.
and we went down valiantly, not just let the other team have a go at us.
we'll beat them with bale and dembele back!

Back