• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match rating against the Greeks

IMHO, the TV only provides the viewer with a limited perspective and it often fails to pick up some of the off the ball movement of some of the players.
Personally I think it is much more difficult to do ratings when I have been at the stadium. Watching from a distance, there are lots of things you will fail to spot in terms of who does what and so on. And you get no replays to help you out either. It is simply much easier to pay attention to most details when watching on tv. You do get a slightly better view of off-the-ball positioning and movement if you have a good seat high up perhaps, but I am not even sure about that. As long the camera is placed high, you get a good view on tv as well. And if you are seated low, or behind goal, or stuck in some fudging corner on an away match, don't even try to tell me that you see the match better than you do on tv. Your view is horrible unless the play is taking place right in front of where you are sitting.
The "people can't rate players unless they have been to game" thing is just a classic Mick Cooper-esque trick of belittling supporters who don't have the chance to attend every game.

Lloris - 6.5 - some good handling and reading of crosses bar one mistake. Looking desperate to impress and claim his righful position - I can understand his frustrations. Dawson sold him for the goal.

Walker - 5 - shockorama
Dawson - 6 - looked rusty and struggled for pace (predictably) - would have been lower if it wasn't for his goal
Caulker - 6 - ok
Vertonghen - 6 - few defensive errors which could have been costly. Needs a rest

Lennon - 6 - tried
Dembele - 7 - some great movement in the middle. MotM
Hudd - 6 - knocked a few balls but struggled to establish his dominance
Bale - 7 - Constant threat

Defoe - 6 - offered little
Demspey - 5 - marginalised

Last edited:
Lloris - 7 - pretty strong and brave for his size... a couple of howlers though...deschamp are you watching :)
Walker - 7 - usual game, saved us a few times in defence with his speed
Dawson - 6 - would be lower if not for the goal. not tested and still very poor losing his man. he's not going feature in the first eleven.
Caulker - 6 - strong in the headers but tended to lose his position ... needs a better leader than dawson to bring the best out of him
Vertonghen - 7 - usual game not as inspirational but played well considering this is not natural best position. good foraging upfield but unable connect with defoe
Lennon - 7 - tireless running, thought he was just hitting his groove when the opposition was tired but AVB took him off
Dembele - 7 - was a pain for Pan throughout the game, didn't venture far enough forwards for me but understandable he had to compensate for a less mobile CM in Thudd
Hudd - 5 - looked like a luxury player with little contribution
Bale - 7 - did well all the time when he was on the left
Defoe/Dempsey - 5 - no teamwork = no movement = no bringing others into play. When ade is back I'm sure AVB will try other combinations in attack.

Lloris - 7 - pretty strong and brave for his size... a couple of howlers though...deschamp are you watching :)
Walker - 7 - usual game, saved us a few times in defence with his speed
Dawson - 6 - would be lower if not for the goal. not tested and still very poor losing his man. he's not going feature in the first eleven.
Caulker - 6 - strong in the headers but tended to lose his position ... needs a better leader than dawson to bring the best out of him
Vertonghen - 7 - usual game not as inspirational but played well considering this is not natural best position. good foraging upfield but unable connect with defoe
Lennon - 7 - tireless running, thought he was just hitting his groove when the opposition was tired but AVB took him off
Dembele - 7 - was a pain for Pan throughout the game, didn't venture far enough forwards for me but understandable he had to compensate for a less mobile CM in Thudd
Hudd - 5 - looked like a luxury player with little contribution
Bale - 7 - did well all the time when he was on the left
Defoe/Dempsey - 5 - no teamwork = no movement = no bringing others into play. When ade is back I'm sure AVB will try other combinations in attack.

That one sticks out like a sore thumb. It's probably not a bad rating in it's own right (even though he did get an assist and was a very smart save away from scoring himself), but your other ratings need to be brought down by -2 each. He was no way worse than anyone else on show yyesterday. They were all equally quite poor, particularly 2nd half.

Lloris - 6 Had some nice claims but also thought he had some mistakes and he should have came out sooner for the goal
Walker - 6.5 Thought he did pretty well actually had one vital last ditch tackle i remember
Dawson - 5.5 scored but I thought he was poor, at fault for goal and his distribution was shocking
Caulker - 6 OK
Vertonghen -6 did well going forward but caught out too many times
Lennon -4 brick
Dembele - 6 did OK would have liked him to get forward more
Huddlestone - 5 it looked like he was the CM instructed to get forward more and I thought he was way too slow keeping the ball moving made it easy for Pana
Bale - 6.5 had some nice moments probably our biggest threat on the day
Dempsey - 6 not involved enough but when he was he had some nice linkup with Defoe
Defoe - 5 not his day

Lloris - 6 Had some nice claims but also thought he had some mistakes and he should have came out sooner for the goal
Walker - 6.5 Thought he did pretty well actually had one vital last ditch tackle i remember
Dawson - 5.5 scored but I thought he was poor, at fault for goal and his distribution was shocking
Caulker - 6 OK
Vertonghen -6 did well going forward but caught out too many times
Lennon -4 brick
Dembele - 6 did OK would have liked him to get forward more
Huddlestone - 5 it looked like he was the CM instructed to get forward more and I thought he was way too slow keeping the ball moving made it easy for Pana
Bale - 6.5 had some nice moments probably our biggest threat on the day
Dempsey - 6 not involved enough but when he was he had some nice linkup with Defoe
Defoe - 5 not his day

I thought that Hudd played the deeper of the two actually. And I thought he was decent enough in the first half, but disappeared in the 2nd like many others

I thought that Hudd played the deeper of the two actually. And I thought he was decent enough in the first half, but disappeared in the 2nd like many others

frankly neither of them really got forward very much. It was the sort of game Hudd usually thrives in Europe but I didn't think he got involved enough

I really think AVB needs to get one of our CM to get forward more like Modric did last year, whether it is Siggy or Dempsey they often aren't involved enough because there is too much space between our CM's and them makes it difficult for them to link up

Last edited:
I think Sig and Dempsey without doubt play further forward, far more forward than Modric did for us, it's just neither Sig or Dempsey are playing particularly well at the moment.

Our ball retention is poor (that's gonna happen when you lose Modric and VDV and miss out on an equivalent replacement in Moutinho) so we can't mount any pressure on teams.

I think Sig and Dempsey without doubt play further forward, far more forward than Modric did for us, it's just neither Sig or Dempsey are playing particularly well at the moment.

Our ball retention is poor (that's gonna happen when you lose Modric and VDV and miss out on an equivalent replacement in Moutinho) so we can't mount any pressure on teams.

This is a good point which I agree with. To some extent Dembele has replaced Modric in terms of retaining possession, but our VDV replacement(s) are still not playing even to the level that we have seen them for their previous clubs. Improvement needed I think.

Will tally tomorrow before Villa match so please get your votes in before then if you can

I didn't see the game but I would love to know how many of these ratings would be different if the guy who scored only hit the post and we had won 1-0?
The reports I heard that night as i drive home was that we had chances to win comfortably, were in control for most of the game and switched off for their goal.
In here you could easily infer that we were shocking (a bit like the 1st half vs QPR) and were lucky to get a draw.

I didn't see the game but I would love to know how many of these ratings would be different if the guy who scored only hit the post and we had won 1-0?
The reports I heard that night as i drive home was that we had chances to win comfortably, were in control for most of the game and switched off for their goal.
In here you could easily infer that we were shocking (a bit like the 1st half vs QPR) and were lucky to get a draw.

look at my ratings - i tend/try to rate regardless of overall score, but against what i think is a maximum possible peformance. we weren't shocking at all. in fact we were pretty good at times and should have won. again we fail to connect up front to score more goals; after a while everyone wises up to this and starts throwing bodies up front and taking potshots which sooner or later results in a goal. if we want to defend 1-0 leads we should take defoe off because its something he can't or is not suited to do.

They were incredibily poor and seemed to drag our players down to their level.

Not many ratings for this one however not our lowest rated game, that honour still goes to Norwich (H)

Dembele MOTM with what was close to being his worst rating of the season.

Caulker's worst rating (previous was 6.74)
Lloris worst rating (only second game though, from 7.08)
Huddlestone's worst rating (also only second game , from 6.50)
Dempsey's worst rating (previously 5.71)

Only Walker had a slight improvement on his rating.

wE5np.jpg

Back