• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Martial Arts

My daughter will be going for her Brown belt in Karate in the new year.

Obviously I'm incredibly proud but it's a little disconcerting having a 9 year old who can kick my arse.

When I was a youngster I did Free Style Karate, which was Karate mixed with Taekwondo and Kickboxing. Really enjoyed it and got up to Purple and White belt (1 before Brown, 2 from Black). But stopped going before my teen years. Would like to start a MA again but nothing I know of in the area. My step daughter is 9 she does Judo after school on Weds but Judo never interested me.

Did K1 last night and went sparring afterwards. I'm relatively new to sparring so am still a bit antsy about stepping into someone's range and trying to pick them off etc. Last night I was a bit more aggressive after I pretty much got my ass handed to me by one of the regular fighters. After that I was a bit ore confident about taking a punch and managed to get some good combos on my opponents. I'm not sure how I did it, but my left foot is completely fudged now (not sure if I've broken anything yet). I can barely walk on it. Just sitting in bed now with a bag of frozen peas over it to hep the swelling go down a bit. I think it must have been when I went for a left thai kick and someone checked it with their knee. Ouch!

I've been doing martial arts since I was a kid 22 now.
Started of with Karate, got to black belt at the age of 11, then Kung Fu and Wushu after that 11-16 where I got to brown belt. Then Krav Maga for a bit. After that I've done Muay Thai Kickboxing whilst at uni and was in the squad.

I'd say in terms of usefulness, nothing touches Muay Thai. Even Krav Maga. It's so incredibley direct, and a lot of fun as you get to spar more in training than most other martial arts.

If you have any questions let me know.
I'm assuming you don't throw any elbows in sparring? :lol: Muay thai is fudging brutal, they call it the 'eight points of combat' for a reason, because if you're proficient enough in it - people will be feeling a lot of contact!

Back