• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Martial Arts

GLENROYID

Ruel Fox
Any martial artists on here?

Got to green belt in karate about 6 years ago, but found it a massive struggle just to keep going with it, so gave it up.

Now im seriously considering starting taekwondo, anyone done it/any other MA? Not interested into getting competitive with it, just think it'd be quite cool to do in my spare time!

Did Tae Kwon Do for about 5 years when I was a lad

Got to Blue belt. (Takes a bit longer than Karate as you have 2 times the number of belts)

I loved the discipline and fitness side of it. Even had to learn parts of the language to progress at gradings.

Wish I'd kept it up all my life

I used to do Modern Freestyle Karate, which is pretty much Kick Boxing. I got to Brown Belt with one black tag which was the last belt before getting your first dan Black Belt, but I gave up! I also boxed for Cheshunt ABC at the same time and the two worked well together, it was fun doing the Karate and being able to get your legs involved and smack someone in the head with a kick!

Did Tae Kwon Do for about 5 years when I was a lad

Got to Blue belt. (Takes a bit longer than Karate as you have 2 times the number of belts)

I loved the discipline and fitness side of it. Even had to learn parts of the language to progress at gradings.

Wish I'd kept it up all my life

Its worth getting into then?

Do i need to do anything before i start? Or can i go to the first lesson completely fresh?

Its worth getting into then?

Do i need to do anything before i start? Or can i go to the first lesson completely fresh?

Toughen up the bottom of your feet

When I took it up again briefly (after years out)

The first thing I did was rip all the skin off the bottom of my big toes

I cannot describe the pain

I used to do Wing Chun Kung Fu, but mainly for fitness etc. I`d say its more useful in a practical sense as when you fight in competition its not done in weight grade, you fight who you come up against. It was a bit scary for me as I`m only small and when you come up against someone who is built like Arnold Swarzenegger its a bit daunting. The theory is that in a real life situation the guy in the club doesn`t say I`m not starting on you cos you are only a flyweight and I`m a heavyweight.

So for street fighting situations I reckon its one of the best martial arts after that kick boxing is pretty useful.

I gave it up a good few years ago but its one of those things you should start as a kid and keep up, before all your joints and tendons seize up like mine have!

I did krav maga for about a year. Its the martial art the mossaf use and its great fun. Actually teaches you skills for real life situations and how to defend yourself. Pretty no holds barred stuff though, hits to the groin, headbutts e.t.c all legit. Also how to disarm people with knives and guns and how to fight a whole group.

Sent from my Nexus S using Fapatalk

I did krav maga for about a year. Its the martial art the mossaf use and its great fun. Actually teaches you skills for real life situations and how to defend yourself. Pretty no holds barred stuff though, hits to the groin, headbutts e.t.c all legit. Also how to disarm people with knives and guns and how to fight a whole group.

Sent from my Nexus S using Fapatalk
Interesting, sounds a bit like aikido

I have a black belt.

Been doin Karate for over two years. Next Bruce Lee.

"In Okinawa, belt mean no need rope to hold up pants" - Mr. Miyagi (circa 1984)

Used to do Jeet Kune Do as a nipper - then football kind of took over.

I've been doing martial arts since I was a kid 22 now.
Started of with Karate, got to black belt at the age of 11, then Kung Fu and Wushu after that 11-16 where I got to brown belt. Then Krav Maga for a bit. After that I've done Muay Thai Kickboxing whilst at uni and was in the squad.

I'd say in terms of usefulness, nothing touches Muay Thai. Even Krav Maga. It's so incredibley direct, and a lot of fun as you get to spar more in training than most other martial arts.

If you have any questions let me know.

Did Kung Fu intermittently for about 2 years. Really enjoyed it - it was so good for my general fitness, and there's so much stretching involved, that you wouldn't do if you weren't studying martial arts.

Work has meant that I've stopped going though, but I'd highly recommend it

My housemate and I went to our first kick boxing lesson today, really enjoyed and will hopefully keep going on a regular basis. My guard keeps on falling as I go into kicks as I'm used to moving my left hand across my body when playing football! Had a quick hest workout after so hopefully won't be hurting too much for football tomorrow!

I must say Muay Thai looks like a lot of fun, but will probably get a good basis with this kick boxing before I try something like that.

Last edited:
My mate has roped me into going aikido with him, he's a second dan black belt, and teaches it two nights a week, i dont need to pay when hes teaching, result!

Gonna start watching 'Fight Quest' - looks like someone travels the world discovering and profiling various forms of martial arts. Looking forward to it.

Back