• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch

Palace are particularly dense.
They hired a largely failed and also untried manager who has been woeful everywhere but Ajax and in spectacular fashion.
Also have a set of players who are not suited or have ever played the 'Ajax way'!
Idiots and they need to get Sam back sharpish!

Yeah cos Dutch club football is awful and fully of terrible players.
We'd never buy anyone from such poor league......

Yeah cos Dutch club football is awful and fully of terrible players.
We'd never buy anyone from such poor league......
At present it is awful. Ajax losing over two legs vs a very poor Rosenborg side, is testament to that. Of course there are some good players, but in general, dutch football is in crisis. Just look how bad their national team has been the last two years.

At present it is awful. Ajax losing over two legs vs a very poor Rosenborg side, is testament to that. Of course there are some good players, but in general, dutch football is in crisis. Just look how bad their national team has been the last two years.

The club football is crap because they can't keep hold of their players, bigger clubs come along and buy them up.

Slightly misleading in that everywhere else is just one other club, Inter. ;)

They brought in De Boer with the long term goal of replicating the production line that is the Ajax academy (not too dissimilar to Spurs approach) but are bricking the bed 3 matches in. They either should have appointed him head of the academy only or not at all if they are not willing to give it time.

I do agree the players are probably not suited to the Ajax way of playing, but they are pros and can adapt.

The same must apply to FDB.

He is trying a 343 with players where it clearly isnt working - he needs to be pragmatic and find something that works in the short term.

Build toward his preferred style in a constructive manner rather than just try and jump to it straight away.

The same must apply to FDB.

He is trying a 343 with players where it clearly isnt working - he needs to be pragmatic and find something that works in the short term.

Build toward his preferred style in a constructive manner rather than just try and jump to it straight away.
Fair point.

The club football is crap because they can't keep hold of their players, bigger clubs come along and buy them up.

Dutch football 'was' the best in the world IMHO.

They have been in a downward spiral, mainly due to living in the past and having a poorly run and marketed league.
De Boer is old school and he needs a complete squad geared to the same end i.e. Ajax or Barca!
Barcelona is the Dutch way, but you need exceptional players to implement it. Spain are the nearest to the the Netherland sides of the 70's that I idolised!
De Boer is not a good manager as he has no experience outside of Holland/Ajax.
Palace (my second team) must have been on drugs when the signed him.

They have been in a downward spiral, mainly due to living in the past and having a poorly run and marketed league.
De Boer is old school and he needs a complete squad geared to the same end i.e. Ajax or Barca!
Barcelona is the Dutch way, but you need exceptional players to implement it. Spain are the nearest to the the Netherland sides of the 70's that I idolised!

Can't argue with most of that.
I wanted FDB for us and think he could have worked here, but at palace, no chance.
If given a chance to implement his ideas and a system he could be a success. He might have got that chance here, definitely won't at palace.
Glad we got poch though.

Palace need patience. They have made a statement of how they want to be run. Now they have to accept it takes time to change a whole club.

They have a good academy, and they dont have a bad squad (though "ok" is about as far as Id go!) and nobody expects anything more than surviving to be a success for them.

They need to give FDB time now to get his feet under the table, his ideas into the team and for things to gel a bit.

That said, as I said, FDB also needs to be pragmatic. Any idiot can see that Palace squad is not going to start playing like Ajax any time soon. He needs to settle on an interim system that works and gets results, and then build from there.

Maybe they go long, work on winning second balls, and then play on the deck more in the opponent half.
Maybe they sit deep and counter more.
Whatever it is, they need a shape they are safe in defensively that has some offensive ability.
Over time things get tweaked and changed, not all at once.

The best national team that never won the World cup was the Dutch team of 74 and 78. Their youth system at club level is ( imo) the best i have seen and i was lucky enough to have seen a few here and abroad.

Palace need patience. They have made a statement of how they want to be run. Now they have to accept it takes time to change a whole club.

They have a good academy, and they dont have a bad squad (though "ok" is about as far as Id go!) and nobody expects anything more than surviving to be a success for them.

They need to give FDB time now to get his feet under the table, his ideas into the team and for things to gel a bit.

That said, as I said, FDB also needs to be pragmatic. Any idiot can see that Palace squad is not going to start playing like Ajax any time soon. He needs to settle on an interim system that works and gets results, and then build from there.

Maybe they go long, work on winning second balls, and then play on the deck more in the opponent half.
Maybe they sit deep and counter more.
Whatever it is, they need a shape they are safe in defensively that has some offensive ability.
Over time things get tweaked and changed, not all at once.

You cant go from WBA to Ajax without years of planning probably more likely decades. Palace will not allow relegation to happen which will always undermine this plan.
I see no future for FDB at Palace unless they adopt this type of long term plan.

The best national team that never won the World cup was the Dutch team of 74 and 78. Their youth system at club level is ( imo) the best i have seen and i was lucky enough to have seen a few here and abroad.

Still the best football I have ever seen. Its when I fell in love with the game and it hooked me.

You cant go from WBA to Ajax without years of planning probably more likely decades. Palace will not allow relegation to happen which will always undermine this plan.
I see no future for FDB at Palace unless they adopt this type of long term plan.

If you mean the production line of talent all schooled in "the way" then yes, its a very long time in the making.

If you mean taking a rather agricultural team and refining them then no, its but a few seasons work for a quality manager.

EDIT - @StephenH , sorry mate I didnt read your post fully (lunchtime, brain consumed by eating!).

My point stands in that yes, a complete and holistic change takes years in planning. And yes, short term improvement is also achievable.

I wanted to say I agree completely with you post, and that indeed Palace would possibly need to be willing to suck up a relegation in order to see that plan (assuming they have one) through to fruition.

As to whether Palace will see it through? I think a lot depends on FDB.

If it is clear genuine change is taking place, and progress will come, they might just stick with it.

And, again depending on FDB, if he is a manager worth his salt - he will get things working well enough on the pitch that he will earn time to continue "the plan".

Its an interesting time for him and Palace, he has much to prove and they are really trying to be progressive.

You appoint a manager like De Boer then you need to back him and the project you are buying into buy appointing him.

You appoint a manager like De Boer then you need to back him and the project you are buying into by appointing him.

YES

But! They are thinking of sacking him after three games?

Which means they either didn't think it through OR they could not see any further than the headline 'Frank De Boer IS the new Crystal Palace Manager' OR BOTH! :(

The CP board continue to be an utter joke.

His arse will grass by this time next week.
He should never have been hired in the first place etc

I think there is a place for a smaller club to have someone like him to change their whole mindset from top to bottom, but like whats been said its a huge project that might include going down before you go forward.

The clever thing to do when you get someone like this in is to also bring in two or three of his players, his trusted inside men, players who will relay his message in the changing room but also lead by example which also helps if they are class.

You appoint a manager like De Boer then you need to back him and the project you are buying into buy appointing him.

That's not how modern football works. There is a reason why the average tenure of a manager is little over a year. By today's standards Poch is a modern day Alex Ferguson or Arsenal Wenger.

Back