• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Luis Diaz

Which is quite understandable under the circumstances
You keep saying ‘under the circumstances’ as if there was some magical time when Spurs were a bigger pull than Liverpool?! They are a club who are very attractive to players even when not in the Champions League, we are nowhere near that.

Anyway the thing that annoys me is the massive deal the media has made out of us missing out on this player, it happens all the time to us and most other clubs - getting gazumped by a bigger club is just the way it works in the football chain. But this ridiculous narrative of Conte needs to spend gazillions, even though he has said on several occasions that January is a difficult time to get in what we need and that we just need to do SOMETHING which we quite clearly are - getting rid of the likes of Lo Celso and NDombele who are offering nothing and replacing them with decent players who fit the system is an underrated positive. Just see how Lingard raised West Ham last January, no one was looking at that as a glamorous signing but it boosted them massively.

If this was the summer window then it would be different, but the noises are we were always going to do our main business then which just about everyone does. The way certain people get suckered into losing their brick every window is nuts, we were well positioned for 4th already and I haven’t seen any of our rivals Arsenal, West Ham or Man U do any business either so it’s clearly not just a Spurs thing.

Seriously, the sooner we get back to playing football the better….

Last edited:
You keep saying ‘under the circumstances’ as if there was some magical time when Spurs were a bigger pull than Liverpool?! They are a club who are very attractive to players even when not in the Champions League, we are nowhere near that.

Anyway the thing that annoys me is the massive deal the media has made out of us missing out on this player, it happens all the time to us and most other clubs - getting gazumped by a bigger club is just the way it works in the football chain. But this ridiculous narrative of Conte needs to spend gazillions, even though he has said on several occasions that January is a difficult time to get in what we need and that we just need to do SOMETHING which we quite clearly are - getting rid of the likes of Lo Celso and NDombele who are offering nothing and replacing them with decent players who fit the system is an underrated positive. Just see how Lingard raised West Ham last January, no one was looking at that as a glamorous signing but it boosted them massively.

If this was the summer window then it would be different, but the noises are we were always going to do our main business then which just about everyone does. The way certain people get suckered into losing their brick everyone window is nuts, we were well positioned for 4th already and I haven’t seen any of our rivals Arsenal, West Ham or Man U do any business either so it’s clearly not just a Spurs thing.

Seriously, the sooner we get back to playing football the better….
I think he is agreeing with you
He has said it’s understandable they want to go to pool

You keep saying ‘under the circumstances’ as if there was some magical time when Spurs were a bigger pull than Liverpool?! They are a club who are very attractive to players even when not in the Champions League

Of course Liverpool have always been a bigger club than us, no one is suggesting otherwise. However there was a time, a few years ago under Poch, when we were good enough to be considered their rivals, and would even finish above them in the league, now we are not.

A couple of days ago I said he we would not be signing for us, I knew about Liverpool's long standing interest in him so I was neither surprised nor disappointed when they hijacked us.

The only thing that has surprised me is that considering what our first team is lacking, that by day 29 we have not have sealed the deal on at least 1 player that could strengthen us.

Last edited:
Ah I took, the ‘under the circumstances’ bit implying under another set of circumstances he would choose us over Liverpool. Apologies to @NaijaSpurs if I misinterpreted that bit….

Nothing to apologise for, maybe a player would never have chosen us ahead of Liverpool, but maybe it might have been a harder choice.

Rather than those who lament us acting late in the window, did we move slightly too early on this guy? Leaving enough time for pool to guzump?

Your core point is 100% correct but such a time did exist and was even before Poch. Didn't both Clint Dempsey and Gylfi Sigurdsson choose us over them within a matter of weeks?

Your core point is 100% correct but such a time did exist and was even before Poch. Didn't both Clint Dempsey and Gylfi Sigurdsson choose us over them within a matter of weeks?

Well, there were a point in time where they were on a sharp, downwards trajectory, and there were a bit of uncertainty to the future of the club. We were on a rising trajectory, and I think that made us more attractive to players. After the conclusion of the takeover and entry of Klopp normality has been restored as for club pulling power is regarded. Our wading through managerial swamps over the last few years has not done anything to improve that, before now. However, we need to show that we can arrest the decline, and put us back on the rising trend.

Can Conte become our Klopp? Let's hope. But remember, Klopp started out with an 8th in his first season, followed by double fourth, before finally managing to get the nr 2 spot, before winning the Premier League in his fifth season. It is not inconceivable to think that we would never have seen that, seeing that we the fans are who we are, the calls for sackings would probably have started off immediately after the 8th-place, let alone after the second fourth in a row...

Well, there were a point in time where they were on a sharp, downwards trajectory, and there were a bit of uncertainty to the future of the club. We were on a rising trajectory, and I think that made us more attractive to players. After the conclusion of the takeover and entry of Klopp normality has been restored as for club pulling power is regarded. Our wading through managerial swamps over the last few years has not done anything to improve that, before now. However, we need to show that we can arrest the decline, and put us back on the rising trend.

Can Conte become our Klopp? Let's hope. But remember, Klopp started out with an 8th in his first season, followed by double fourth, before finally managing to get the nr 2 spot, before winning the Premier League in his fifth season. It is not inconceivable to think that we would never have seen that, seeing that we the fans are who we are, the calls for sackings would probably have started off immediately after the 8th-place, let alone after the second fourth in a row...

He did get to europa final in his first season. Liverpool had been struggling to get in the cl so the 2 4ths were probably acceptable. Especially as liverpool played nice football.
But agree with your point. Conte will need time to shape the squad and team the way he likes. We need to have patience.

He did get to europa final in his first season. Liverpool had been struggling to get in the cl so the 2 4ths were probably acceptable. Especially as liverpool played nice football.
But agree with your point. Conte will need time to shape the squad and team the way he likes. We need to have patience.
The only problem is Conte is only contracted for another season after this one so time isnt something we have a lot of. The summer transfer window is the important one. That is when we apparently plan on properly making moves on players, and we have to. Because if we don’t show our intent then I don’t think Conte will stand for it, this window is fine as he’s not expecting anything more than stop gaps who can do a job for him. And I could see Saudi Sportswashing Machine seducing him if we don’t show our ambition ( I do not for one minute see them getting relegated). Whereas with Klopp he was always likely staying at Liverpool for the longer term….

The only problem is Conte is only contracted for another season after this one so time isnt something we have a lot of. The summer transfer window is the important one. That is when we apparently plan on properly making moves on players, and we have to. Because if we don’t show our intent then I don’t think Conte will stand for it, this window is fine as he’s not expecting anything more than stop gaps who can do a job for him. And I could see Saudi Sportswashing Machine seducing him if we don’t show our ambition ( I do not for one minute see them getting relegated). Whereas with Klopp he was always likely staying at Liverpool for the longer term….

We'll have an option for another year with conte. Yes we need to get some quality players in the summer no doubt.

Still hundred percent believe we'll strengthen the squad this window. Maybe not to the levels of kessie and diaz but we'll improve. If we can get top 4 i think we'll be looking good.

Back