• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

London Marathon

Such a shame it took her death to achieve those amounts.

My missus raised ?ú1800, but of course, she is still with us. Which I'm quite pleased about.

What a sad story though.............30 years old, FFS. Puts me right off running it (well, that's my excuse, anyway).

Such a shame it took her death to achieve those amounts.

My missus raised ?ú1800, but of course, she is still with us. Which I'm quite pleased about.

What a sad story though.............30 years old, FFS. Puts me right off running it (well, that's my excuse, anyway).

Have you got a new job now Crawley?

It's terrible that she lost her life.

What I don't get though is why have there not been calls for the Marathon to be stopped? A few weeks ago two horses died in the Grand National and everybody wanted that to be stopped!

What I don't get though is why have there not been calls for the Marathon to be stopped? A few weeks ago two horses died in the Grand National and everybody wanted that to be stopped!

Theres danger in every sport. Statiscally, few to come to such a sad end all things considered. Even boxing - though most boxers are affected long term

Nice to see something good come from something terrible. Perhaps some solace for her family in that.

She should have course have decided it looked a bit dangerous and backed out. A horse probably struggles to communicate the same message. Not that I want to see the GN stopped personally.

There's an awful lot of gonad*s on the internet, but one thing that makes it wonderful is how it can mobilise support like this.

Absolutely fantastic =D>

The answer to that is that people choose to take part where horses do not.

I'm not against horse racing, in fact I love going to watch the races but races like the grand national with fences taller than me just cause unnecessary deaths in my opinion.

The other day I saw a horse fall at a fence, get up and stamp about on a floppy, broken leg (pressing all its weight on it) falling all over the place. Was terrible to watch.

I think racing should continue but it wouldn't be bad to see some safety measures (like reduced fence size) for animal welfare in my opinion.

Nice to see something good come from something terrible. Perhaps some solace for her family in that.

She should have course have decided it looked a bit dangerous and backed out. A horse probably struggles to communicate the same message. Not that I want to see the GN stopped personally.

The answer to that is that people choose to take part where horses do not.

I'm not against horse racing, in fact I love going to watch the races but races like the grand national with fences taller than me just cause unnecessary deaths in my opinion.

The other day I saw a horse fall at a fence, get up and stamp about on a floppy, broken leg (pressing all its weight on it) falling all over the place. Was terrible to watch.

I think racing should continue but it wouldn't be bad to see some safety measures (like reduced fence size) for animal welfare in my opinion.

I don't want to sound rude, but you two have given the standard answer that is right in the sense a Horse can not talk and say I do not want to go and jump that fence. Having said that though, Horses to refuse to jump at times as Vic Venturi did in this years Grand National so they do make their own minds up to a certain degree. One horse that died this year did not have a rider on it's back and broke it's leg by running around on it's own, that can happen in a field to any horse.

But what people who are only educated by Newspapers every Sunday after the Grand National do not realise is:

1. Horses in the wild run around all day long and jump tall hedges amongst other things, so asking a horse to run and jump is natural.

2. Horses are bred to run 4 and a half miles, humans are not bred to run 26 odd miles.

But what I think is most important and nobody likes to realise this is:

3. If it was not for Horse racing none of these horses would exist in the first place. Horse X is matched with Horse Y to produce Horse Z. So if it was not for racing then two horses would not be put together to produce offspring.

I think that is a vital point the media never put across to show things in a more positive light. These horses only exist in the first place because of racing and if there was no racing or certain types of races then they would have never had a life in the first place. Of course it is terrible when a horse dies, but I think it is better to have lived a good life and doing what you are bred to do rather than not having a life at all.

Safety measures have already been taking with fence this year were made smaller. I think that you can't keep on changing the race because it is such a historical race that is recognised worldwide. I think that if the public realised that the horses would not be alive if it was not for the race and racing in general I really do think they would look ath things in a different light.

People choose whether to run or not, what choice do the horses have? Did they grow up with a burning ambition to be a racehorse? I very much doubt it. Any sport which exploits animals should be banned in my view. Anyway, back on point, it's great that her sad passing is helping to generate such fantastic acts of generosity.

I don't want to sound rude, but you two have given the standard answer that is right in the sense a Horse can not talk and say I do not want to go and jump that fence. Having said that though, Horses to refuse to jump at times as Vic Venturi did in this years Grand National so they do make their own minds up to a certain degree. One horse that died this year did not have a rider on it's back and broke it's leg by running around on it's own, that can happen in a field to any horse.

But what people who are only educated by Newspapers every Sunday after the Grand National do not realise is:

1. Horses in the wild run around all day long and jump tall hedges amongst other things, so asking a horse to run and jump is natural.

2. Horses are bred to run 4 and a half miles, humans are not bred to run 26 odd miles.

3. If it was not for Horse racing none of these horses would exist in the first place. Horse X is matched with Horse Y to produce Horse Z. So if it was not for racing then two horses would not be put together to produce offspring.

I think that is a vital point the media never put across to show things in a more positive light. These horses only exist in the first place because of racing and if there was no racing or certain types of races then they would have never had a life in the first place. Of course it is terrible when a horse dies, but I think it is better to have lived a good life and doing what you are bred to do rather than not having a life at all.

Safety measures have already been taking with fence this year were made smaller. I think that you can't keep on changing the race because it is such a historical race that is recognised worldwide. I think that if the public realised that the horses would not be alive if it was not for the race and racing in general I really do think they would look ath things in a different light.

I don't agree with most of that.

Horses are bred for our entertainment and business they generate. That doesn't mean that them being bred in the first place means they owe us the gratitude of life.

We are a modern World. Formular 1 racing is an example where new technology and an overhaul of safety can prevent unnecessary death and that sport is doing better than it ever did.

As I said I'm not against horse racing as I'm a fan myself. I do however think lowering fences by a considerable amount will have no effect on lowering crowds and both the horses/owners will benefit.

Having a shortarse sat on them hitting them with a whip to make them do it as fast as possible probably isn't natural.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion, humans are well capable of running large distances? We might not individually be bred for athletic capability, but it would seem to me the majority of us have the ability to do just that, or at least the ability to obtain it.

I'm sure we're all aware of that, the same goes for any number of animals.

As I said, I don't want to see the GN stopped, although it means very little to me personally. It was you who wanted to draw the comparison between the two events. At a guess I'd say that if the London Marathon had had the same mortality rate as the National (40 runners I think in the National, 2 deaths - 5%, compared to what, 30 thousand odd runners and 1 death?) then there would indeed have been calls to stop running it.

Seedy and Spursman that's fair enough we have differing opinions and nothing will change that.

I was just drawing a comparison from the perspective of a massive racing fan which I am and of the thinking that human life is more worthwhile than an animals.

Yeah the National does have a high percentage of deaths, but the race is like a tradition and been going as early as the 1830's. I just think it would be a shame if it changes too much to meet the demands of the viewing public who feel it is wrong to treat horses in that way, yet are happy to watch the race and have 50p e/w on one of the horses.

I know the percentage of deaths in a marathon is low due to the number of runners. But if you consider 11 deaths in the 32 runnings of the event then you are looking at a death every third year. That is quite high.

Back