• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Liverpool will have a better team than us.

No one has answered the Levy will mess it up premise.

We are likely to sell Bale and we are also likely to not buy Lamela or Willian. Last years we ended up with Dempsey and Sigi.

The same people who doubt this thread probably thought they were great signings. If this happens a few games in and you will all be saying the same thing, just as everyone was moaning about not getting the crucial signing of Moutinho last year.

We are likely to sell Bale and we are also likely to not buy Lamela or Willian. Last years we ended up with Dempsey and Sigi.

The same people who doubt this thread probably thought they were great signings. If this happens a few games in and you will all be saying the same thing, just as everyone was moaning about not getting the crucial signing of Moutinho last year.

Do you know what, I kind of agree with when you say you're not confident Levy will deliver on Willian and Lamela, but are you not impressed with the other signings we've made? Soldado will score goals this season, I have no doubt about it. Paulinho and Chadli both look very shrewd pieces of business.

Every season people get excited about Liverpool, "is it their year to return to glory" etc. Just like Spurs potentially finishing above Arsenal, I will believe it when it happens. Liverpool are just a name these days, still living in the past. Their fans still think it's the 80s when they were the biggest club in England.

Coutinho top tier? How you can say that at this stage?

Suarez? Undoubtably a great player, but I would be surprised if he manages more than 25 games this season what with his tendancy to pick up thoughtless suspensions/bans. In fact, 20 games might be a push for him, he's missing the first 6 games already.

Do you know what, I kind of agree with when you say you're not confident Levy will deliver on Willian and Lamela, but are you not impressed with the other signings we've made? Soldado will score goals this season, I have no doubt about it. Paulinho and Chadli both look very shrewd pieces of business.

Every season people get excited about Liverpool, "is it their year to return to glory" etc. Just like Spurs potentially finishing above Arsenal, I will believe it when it happens. Liverpool are just a name these days, still living in the past. Their fans still think it's the 80s when they were the biggest club in England.

Coutinho top tier? How you can say that at this stage?

Suarez? Undoubtably a great player, but I would be surprised if he manages more than 25 games this season what with his tendancy to pick up thoughtless suspensions/bans. In fact, 20 games might be a push for him, he's missing the first 6 games already.

It is not really about Liverpool as such, it is about not realising that some players are worth going the extra mile for. It would be foolish to spend £9m on Capoue and not sign Lamela and or Willian for the sake of another £5 or even £10m.

We seemed to have made solid signings who will fit in very nicely and improve us, but only if we have that little bit extra to go with it.

Soldado is the sort who scored from chances created. He is not one to score out of nothing, so if we do not create enough chances , he will not score enough. Last year we did not create enough chances, we had to rely on Bale.

The media keep saying we have bought well, I am not so sure, especially if we do not compliment the solid signings we have made.

As a keep saying, Levy if he follows form, will not deliver the key players and Wenger will possible pluck one out as he did last year with Cazorla.

It is not really about Liverpool as such, it is about not realising that some players are worth going the extra mile for. It would be foolish to spend £9m on Capoue and not sign Lamela and or Willian for the sake of another £5 or even £10m.

We seemed to have made solid signings who will fit in very nicely and improve us, but only if we have that little bit extra to go with it.

Soldado is the sort who scored from chances created. He is not one to score out of nothing, so if we do not create enough chances , he will not score enough. Last year we did not create enough chances, we had to rely on Bale.

The media keep saying we have bought well, I am not so sure, especially if we do not compliment the solid signings we have made.

As a keep saying, Levy if he follows form, will not deliver the key players and Wenger will possible pluck one out as he did last year with Cazorla.

Soldado won't score 30 yard screamers every week, but he is a very, very good finisher in and around the box. I don't think he will need that many chances, certainly nowhere near as many as Adebayor. I've seen Soldado score the odd screamer for Valencia so he has got it in his locker every now and then.

Creativity is an issue, no doubt about it. But Paulinho should add goals, I've heard him described by Tim Vickery as a "tropical Frank Lampard". Chadli looks like quite a creative player to be fair. And every team has weaknesses. I don't think many teams will be able to cope with the brute strength of our midfield.

I think we'll be 5th this season, but 4th is within our grasp.

Wouldn't pay more than 20m

Fair enough. I think Willian would add more to our team than say Lamela. To get the best out of Soldado we really need to feed him a decent amount of chances and when I look at our team (on paper) to me it looks like we will be rather direct in our approach. It may not pan out exactly like that but Willian is a dribbler/creator type and would complement Soldado's ability to find space and his sneaky-as-fudge movement around the box. It would be a shame that after signing a top number 9 he ended up ducking out of the way of shots from the artillery line behind him all the time.

It will be interesting to see the team dynamics when all the main players are out there, but I do echo the call for a more creative player somewhere in our front 4.

careful Jurgen, you almost sound optimistic :eek:

Realistic mate. I don't like being called a pessimist. When I was at school, everyone slated me for being literally the only one who said England won't win the World Cup/Euros every two years. I look at our squad on paper and I believe we have what it takes to get into the top 4, but I still worry about the mentality side of things, and the full backs worry the life out of me.

Under Levy's watch we've emerged from mid table also rans to consistent top 4 challengers, twice in 4 seasons and a hairs breath away the other two. This in the ridiculously challenging modern era. You cannot pick one or two cases to prove your point, you have to look at the whole picture. Bar Ledley King, every other key player has been brought in on his watch. Yes we are likely to sell Bale. Probably wont sign either of Lamela or Willian. And yes we did sign Sigurdsson and Dempsey last year. But there is much, much more to our squad management than that.

I do not know the ins and outs on these deals, I am not on the Tottenham board. Speculation has linked us strongly with certain players who have not signed for whatever reason. We're led to think they were close. Moutinho, Cahill, Arsharvin.
You speak as if you KNOW that the Moutinho deal was there for the taking and that there was a clear failure on the part of Mr Levy. Are you a member of the board? Have you discussed this personally with Mr Levy? Or any other board member? Or anyone directly involved in the negotiations?

I'm sure Levy has made mistakes in the past but, by looking at his pattern of trading, I suspect he is very good at learning from his mistakes. I suspect that he believes every player has their price, I suspect that he drives a hard bargain when purchasing, I suspect that we do not let key players go cheaply. And I suspect that our biggest players are sold at prices over the odds.

"The same people who doubt this thread probably thought they were great signings" - what an utterly stupid thing to state. You cannot draw an assumption (look it up) like that. However, I will happily admit that I doubt this thread is because it was started by someone who has a track record of making ill-though out, illogical, negative, idiotic statements. I suspect you are here on the wind up, a troll, maybe even a fan of some rival. Don't know, don't care. But I do not see how you can claim to be a Tottenham supporter.

Under Levy's watch we've emerged from mid table also rans to consistent top 4 challengers, twice in 4 seasons and a hairs breath away the other two. This in the ridiculously challenging modern era. You cannot pick one or two cases to prove your point, you have to look at the whole picture. Bar Ledley King, every other key player has been brought in on his watch. Yes we are likely to sell Bale. Probably wont sign either of Lamela or Willian. And yes we did sign Sigurdsson and Dempsey last year. But there is much, much more to our squad management than that.

I do not know the ins and outs on these deals, I am not on the Tottenham board. Speculation has linked us strongly with certain players who have not signed for whatever reason. We're led to think they were close. Moutinho, Cahill, Arsharvin.
You speak as if you KNOW that the Moutinho deal was there for the taking and that there was a clear failure on the part of Mr Levy. Are you a member of the board? Have you discussed this personally with Mr Levy? Or any other board member? Or anyone directly involved in the negotiations?

I'm sure Levy has made mistakes in the past but, by looking at his pattern of trading, I suspect he is very good at learning from his mistakes. I suspect that he believes every player has their price, I suspect that he drives a hard bargain when purchasing, I suspect that we do not let key players go cheaply. And I suspect that our biggest players are sold at prices over the odds.

"The same people who doubt this thread probably thought they were great signings" - what an utterly stupid thing to state. You cannot draw an assumption (look it up) like that. However, I will happily admit that I doubt this thread is because it was started by someone who has a track record of making ill-though out, illogical, negative, idiotic statements. I suspect you are here on the wind up, a troll, maybe even a fan of some rival. Don't know, don't care. But I do not see how you can claim to be a Tottenham supporter.

At no time did I claim to have inside knowledge of the Moutinho deals or any other one.

I just pointed out, that we often spend a lot on mediocrity and balk at spending more on more.

Sigi and Dempsey were poor signings last year, Levy has previously spent big money on Bent and Bentley.

Levy wins the battles but loses the war - in all these years in which in most we spend more than Arsenal, don't you think we should have finished above them once? [ I know they spend more on wages, but we should have managed once.

For instance had we bought Cazorla last year instead of Sigi and Dempsey [ same money ] we would have done.

I am merely pointing out , the same thing could easily happen this year, we lose out on the true quality, which our rival snaps up.

Levy has made more than a few mistakes. He is has not been a winner and thus far has not shown the required good judgment to be one.

Selling Bale for a world record fee, was a once only chance. I just don't trust him not to blow it, not because his motives are wrong, but just because he is not good enough.

liverpool do improve a lot if they get willian and keep suarez. remains to be seen which is the better team though.

Colin:

Do you think Cazorla would have signed for us over Arsenal considering that they were in the CL and we were not? Seriously?

Picking one signing from Arsenal that was arguably their best signing in years and comparing it to two of our signings that (so far) worked out alright, but not much more is not really a fair way to compare how competent the two clubs are at signing players.

A very similar argument could have been made the other way using Vertonghen and Lloris. If you were an Arsenal fan you could be complaining about Wenger and the board not picking up those two players that they could have afforded that would have made a massive difference.

Cherry picking individual transfers made by the two clubs to support your statement that Levy "wins the battles, but loses the war" is just a non starter of an argument. Obviously Levy doesn't on his own decide who we buy and sell, but beyond that no manager, chairman, DoF or head coach has a perfect record. Far from it actually, even the best in the business have several massive stains on their transfer histories. To evaluate fairly surely we must move beyond "if we had signed Cazorla" type rhetoric?

Levy took over in February 2001, that season we finished 12th, Arsenal finished 2nd. We were 21 points behind them. The season before that we finished 10th, they finished 2nd. We were 20 points behind them. Not many Spurs fans that remember the '90s need more reminders about what the situation was like when Levy took over. Since then Arsenal have continued enjoying what must surely be one of their most stable periods of high performance in their history, they have by no means been easy to compete with.

If what Levy has done so far constitutes "losing the war" then I struggle to think of what words you would have used to describe owners, chairmen and managers. Serious question. What words would you use?

Edit: The starting position Levy found himself in was actually considerably worse than I presented above. Having seen Arsenal cement a spot in the top 4 during the major injection of money during the PL and CL transformations they had gotten a rather ridiculous head start on us just by that. Added to that they were well on their way getting their new stadium project started. To illustrate how big their starting advantage was, the only clubs that have managed to break into the top 4 for more than a season since then have been backed by owners willing to inject absurd amounts of money into the clubs. That was the challenge facing Levy.

To use your war analogy, by the time Levy took over the war looked lost. He, if anything, brought the war back to where Spurs fans again could seriously talk about winning it.

Last edited:
Back