• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lionel Messi

I look at it like this.

Would Messi be as successful in there day - Yes

Would Pele and Maradonna in there prime be as successful in todays game - very much doubt it

I look at it like this.

Would Pele and Maradonna in there prime be as successful in todays game - very much doubt it

you picked the wrong two guys...pele definately would and maradona IMO without a doubt

I don't know hoe anyone can sit there and compare Messi with the likes of Pele and Maradonna as it has been different era's and let face it back in the Maradonna and Pele days i could have skipped past that poor defending.
For sure. You can't compare them at all, they played in different eras and must be respected as the best if their time. IMO you can only compare people of the same time that shared the same pitches as each other (for example, Eusebio and George Best, Maldini and Zidane etc)

I look at it like this.

:ross:

Maradonna would light up any league in the world today, and I would guess any league in 50 years time

I am guessing you are a very young

back then the game was referred in a different way, look at Pele in the 58 World Cup, he was assaulted every time he got the ball, likewise Maradonna had to put up with some shocking tackles and was lucky on many occasion that his career wasn't ended

if anything I'd say its the other way around and Messi would not have been the same player in those previous era's, solely down the physical violence that went for tackling back then

I think when making comparisons between ages you have to give benefit of doubt to the ability of the older era players to successfully utilize the more professional training and adapt their game to the higher fitness levels or to the ability of the modern player to handle the harsher more physical side of the game in the past. If Messi was take back in time he would run rings around the players in Pele's or Maradona's time because of this superior fitness and would be a far better player if he could survive the hacking. Similarly if Pele or Maradona came forward in time and trained the modern way and weren't subjected to the physical maltreatment they would be even better players than they were. Another uncertainty is if the players could handle the more professional lifestyle, e.g. George Best would be a failure with his party lifestyle.

you could factor that in as we'll
I suppose, had Best been a Fergie player his lifestyle may have been quite different

i still have to reply to jurgen...if only he didnt have too much sense in that post.....

anything i say from now on this matter is probably going to have about 50% devils advocacy in there..just so jimmyb and jurgen know

all i can say is that its a gut and appreciation of legends thing that makes me rate those that trend set over the amazing players that are playing now.

i will still reply jurgen...

Whose idea is it to keep amalgamating threads? There only three non stickied threads threads on the front page younger than August. It's crap.

Whose idea is it to keep amalgamating threads? There only three non stickied threads threads on the front page younger than August. It's crap.

You know whats really crap?

Posting the same thing in three threads and not explaining your reasoning.

Has just signed a new deal with Barca till 2018. They have also tied up Xavi and Puyol to 2016.

Has just signed a new deal with Barca till 2018. They have also tied up Xavi and Puyol to 2016.

Barca doing things their way still I see.

Puyol is 34 and injury prone and they give him a new contract that's 3.5 years because he is who he is. Xavi is 32 and not getting any younger either. Might be that there are some clauses in the contracts about them retiring if they get some really bad injuries, struggle to see either of them staying beyond their expiration date just to pick up the last bit of wages anyway.

Still very different from Arsenal for example who seem to only give one year extensions to most of their 30+ players.

Edit:

On the whole "how would Messi do in England" debate.

Having seen the goals from the Reading - Scum game last night, how many goals would Messi have scored against teams like Reading if he was playing for a top PL side?

Maybe he wouldn't score 90+ in a calender year playing in England, but I would guess 60+ at least.

Last edited:
Barca doing things their way still I see.

Puyol is 34 and injury prone and they give him a new contract that's 3.5 years because he is who he is. Xavi is 32 and not getting any younger either. Might be that there are some clauses in the contracts about them retiring if they get some really bad injuries, struggle to see either of them staying beyond their expiration date just to pick up the last bit of wages anyway.

Still very different from Arsenal for example who seem to only give one year extensions to most of their 30+ players.

Edit:

On the whole "how would Messi do in England" debate.

Having seen the goals from the Reading - Scum game last night, how many goals would Messi have scored against teams like Reading if he was playing for a top PL side?

Maybe he wouldn't score 90+ in a calender year playing in England, but I would guess 60+ at least.

Stoke would fudging murder him, though.
And Foy would let them break his legs and elbow his face with no punishment, if he was refereeing their game.

Going back to the era 'debate', another small factor is the ball itself. They are designed now to such perfection that massively favours attacking players.

Back