• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lets Talk About Wages

You make a good point, however should that make a difference for a prospective employer?

In my opinion it should not. He should be paid how much he is worth and then he can feel free to do with it what he will. He's a nice guy for donating it though, yeah.

As for the second part lets alter it slightly, and say that if he was going to be 10m on 80-100k, would you want him?

Lets be honest here we are not in a position to get someone of Ades calibre for less than 100k a week and no cheaper than 10-15m so yeah he is worth the money.

The reason he performed in patches was he really did not have any competition last season hence the importance of getting in someone who is ready to challenge Ade. Thats why I want two strikers and not one.

Ade makes my pants sticky up top he links play, runs the channels, can hold the ball up and whilst he is pretty brick finisher he brings others in to the game who can then finish.

Lets be honest here we are not in a position to get someone of Ades calibre for less than 100k a week and no cheaper than 10-15m so yeah he is worth the money.

The reason he performed in patches was he really did not have any competition last season hence the importance of getting in someone who is ready to challenge Ade. Thats why I want two strikers and not one.

Ade makes my pants sticky up top he links play, runs the channels, can hold the ball up and whilst he is pretty brick finisher he brings others in to the game who can then finish.

Very well said. We need a quality forward, a donkey would not suit our style of play. But they aren't two a penny and, given that we know what we are getting with Adebayor it's almost a nobrainer. I have reservations over his disruptive tendencies and that doesn't sit well after AVBs Chelsea story. But you have to roll a dice right now and I think we have to go for him.

He doesn't have a winning mentality. I've seen him being subbed off with a huge smile on his face too many times.
And there those games where nothing he attempts to do comes off, where he can't even control the ball. He's so frustrating.
I think we'll be doing Emirates Marketing Project a financial favour if we take him off their hands. Notice there isn't exactly a race to sign him. The 18m we're saving City in wages over the next 2 years will be what they're using to buy RVP.

I think we do Ade a disservice. I is obvious that 170k is ludicrous but he does give alot of that to Charity - SO he wants to make sure that his Charities also see the benefit that they have been seeing for the last few years. Its admirable.

I do think the fact that we could get him for 5m means we give him a 5m payment to offset the losses he will make by getting 80-100k a week. Its kinda the same.

We should do a deal with him then whereby Spurs contribute the charity money on his behalf then they can declare it as tax deductable on the accounts and also wont be required to pay NIC on it

We should do a deal with him then whereby Spurs contribute the charity money on his behalf then they can declare it as tax deductable on the accounts and also wont be required to pay NIC on it

Awesome, quick! Anyone know Levy's e-mail? :p

Unfortunately, wages have risen across the board everywhere thanks to Emirates Marketing Project/Chelsea/PSG/Malaga etc etc inflating wages all over the board, Juve back to spending big money, the strength of the German clubs, etc. If you want a half-decent striker that can get you into the CL, you have to pay ridiculous money nowadays. How much do you think the likes of Falcao, Lewandowski, Cavani, Jovetic, Hulk etc would demand? I doubt they would come that much cheaper than Adebayor.

Just look at the way players are holding their clubs to hostage these days by refusing to sign new contracts until they get their pay rise. We are not the only ones near the top facing a wage problem. Man Utd are the obvious candidate with Nani and Welbeck in contract tussles and the Rooney saga, and they are real title contenders with CL and a top-class manager. It is slightly amazing we have not faced more discontent given our lack of CL and relatively reasonable wages.

Adebayor's wages are an issue, but he is proven here, he can hit the ground running, his transfer fee is low, he fits us stylistically, and he is among the best that we can attract given that we have no CL. We simply cannot get the top tier, the Falcaos or Higuains or Lewandowskis of the world to even look at us right now. Hell, we can't even convince Damiao to come, and we've been trying for two seasons.

I am perfectly fine with going with less proven, cheaper, younger strikers, but I think they would better replace Defoe and some other deadwood, because at least Ade can fit in AVB's system whereas we know Defoe cannot (and therefore he would be an even bigger waste of wages).

I don't like hearing that our wage structure may have to be broken to keep us competitive, but I believe this is the new reality. In the league, we are behind five other clubs in terms of spending power - two of whom have essentially unlimited funds, the other two with stadiums and CL money, and Liverpool with their massive sponsorship deals. And yet we want top four - hell, top three! In this scenario we have to gamble a bit to keep the right to play at the top table.

Any other chairman, and I would be worried that they are getting delusional. Levy, however, is rather less concerned with what fans think. I trust Levy to safeguard the long-term future of this club regardless of accusations of "lack of ambition" and whatnot. If Ade is getting large wages, they won't be flat; they'll be a combination of bonuses, add-ons, and signing-on fees, with a good dose of support from Emirates Marketing Project.

Either that, or we've come into some Qatari money :lol:

He doesn't have a winning mentality. I've seen him being subbed off with a huge smile on his face too many times.
And there those games where nothing he attempts to do comes off, where he can't even control the ball. He's so frustrating.
I think we'll be doing Emirates Marketing Project a financial favour if we take him off their hands. Notice there isn't exactly a race to sign him. The 18m we're saving City in wages over the next 2 years will be what they're using to buy RVP.

He can be the most cheerfully-substituted man in the world as far as I'm concerned, as long as he gets the same number of goals and assists that he did last season. The legendary 'winning mentality' he's perfectly entitled to leave to the likes of AVB and Vertonghen.

As for the second bit, so we strengthen ourselves while simultaneously weakening our dear neighbours? Get him in, get him in!

The possibility of us paying towards Adebayor's wages is very possible IF these wages aren't discredited due to amortisation. I'm not an expert on FFP, but I know that the reason we payed a large chunk of his wages during last year is because his contract isn't included when considering the finances regarding FFP.

Say Adebayor signs a contract tomorrow, and we're paying 70,000 quid for him to play for you for 5 years. If we indeed do have to include this in out accounts, that's a full 18 million/3 million+ a year given straight to you. Now, I know some people's perceptions on here about my club's finances, but our accountants aren't stupid. Unless us paying Adebayor's wages don't add onto FFP, it will all be down to you imho.

ok, you have to give us some alternatives, because i really dont see many strikers of Ade's qualities available on the market

and remember that most decent strikers will come to Spurs demanding around 100k a week.

He scored some goals last season, but did he score crucial goals? Or did he just add to the tally?

He scored some goals last season, but did he score crucial goals? Or did he just add to the tally?

Scored the opener against wolves that kickstarted our season
scored the opener against Chelsea at the Lane
scored the equaliser against Villa before the end of the season
scored the opener against Fulham in the final game

And that's just off the top of my head. There's a lot more he's scored that have set us on our way to a result.

Not even about his goals, he set up what was it? 12 goals!?

He set up all 4 and scored 1 in the 5-0 win at home to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, that is ridiculous!

I'll back down :p

Im just worried that his lack of clinical finishing in many situations can cost us at some point...

But thats just me being negative

I love the fact we will get to see a week in week out Adebayor, his career has been stop start over the past few years, last season was probably the most he played back to back in sometime, even then he provided a great platform with his goals and assists.

A quality quality player to have for a few years, exciting times

We give him a 4 mill signing on fee then a year down the line he kicks up a fuss and say he wants out? It's a no from me

Signing on fees do not work like this. They are spread over the length of the contract and typically paid in quarterly installments. If the club sells the player without the player having requested a transfer then the club have to pay the remaining installments of the signing on fee (or loyalty bonus as it is often laughingly called these days). However if the player requests a transfer and is then granted that transfer and leaves then the club no longer have to pay the remainaing installments. This is the reason why clubs ask players to submit written transfer requests when they want to go.

Something that many people fail to consider is that ANY football deal includes both an element of weekly wage and loyalty bonus. Even players resigning new deals at the same club. For instance Gareth Bale's recent reported £100k a week deal probably consists of something like £80k a week of wages and a £4 million loyalty bonus.

Something to consider with Adebayor is the following. When he signed on a Emirates Marketing Project for his reported £170k a week. That deal would've consisted of a certain amount of wages (let's say £6.5 million a year - i.e. £130k a week) and also a signing on fee - let's call this £10 million (i.e. the equivalent of another £40k a week over the 5 year deal).

Adebayor has 2 years remaining on his Emirates Marketing Project contract. He has not put in a transfer request and therefore Emirates Marketing Project still have to pay him his remaining installments of his original signing on fee. Therefore he will probably be receiving a £4 million pay off from Emirates Marketing Project.

Therefore to break even with his previous wage level at Spurs he would need to earn the remaining £6.5 million a year. So let's assume a 4 year deal. £100k a week wages and a £6 million signing on fee (which as I said before is spread over length of contract). Adebayor is therefore earning the same money at Spurs that he would've earned at City for the next two years (effectively £6.5 million from Spurs and £2 million from City in each of those two years) and then in the remaining 2 years he will only earn £6.5 million a year all paid by Spurs.

While I am on the subject of Adebayor I get frustrated by the amount of people who criticise his finishing and say "We need a more clinical striker". The facts last season were that Adebayor scored 17 goals and assisted another 11 (he also had 4 perfectly good goals chalked off). Whenever you consider a striker do not consider how many chances they miss, consider how many they score. Better to have a striker who get's 100 chances and scores 20 goals than a striker who get's 15 chances and scores 10 goals. A HUGE part of football is having the ability, strength, positional sense and desire to get into those goalscoring positions. People used to slag off Andy Cole because "He needs 8 chances to score a goal" but those such as Fergusson knew that getting the chance in the first place was half the battle.

We could get Leandro for 24m pay him 50k a week and that would cost us 32m over 3 seasons. But we could sell the Brazilian international striker on for a 30+m.

Alternatively we could buy Leandro, he could fail to adapt to English football and we only recoup £10 million for him with our league position having suffered in the mean time? We know what we are getting with Adebayor and that is a player that is ideally suited to English football and has proven that he can score and create goals for us and not only that but he also works incredibly hard for the team.

I cannot think of a better striker than Adebayor that we could possibly hope to sign. I am delighted that he is signing for us permanently.

Scored the opener against wolves that kickstarted our season
scored the opener against Chelsea at the Lane
scored the equaliser against Villa before the end of the season
scored the opener against Fulham in the final game

And that's just off the top of my head. There's a lot more he's scored that have set us on our way to a result.

Goal against Swansea to make it 2-1 when we looked nervous

Wages

ARSENAL’S board will face more questions when bitter rivals Spurs release their figures for last season.
They are set to reveal Tottenham spent £1million less PER WEEK on wages than the Gunners.
Arsenal have already confirmed a wage hike of 15 per cent to £143.4m in 2011-2.

If reports are correct, that Spurs remained at their 2010-11 level of £91.1m — or below it — it would mean Arsenal spent £52m more to finish just a point ahead.

Gunners chief executive Ivan Gazidis will say ‘Ah, but we qualified for the Champions League.’
Yet it was only Chelsea’s Munich miracle which denied fourth-placed Spurs and the Gunners will recoup that £50m from this season’s competition only if they win it.
Some Arsenal fans will also see further evidence the club are not using their wage budget effectively.
There is particular dismay about “deadwood” like Marouane Chamakh, Sebastien Squillaci and Johan Djourou, who earn the best part of £150,000 per week between them but are yet to make a Premier League appearance this season.

Mods feel free to merge this post with a more appropriate thread

Last edited:
Back