• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lennon's back baby!

Re: Lennon's workrate

He has pace, which always helps. He's got the ability to quickly change direction, which is good for a dribbler like him. And, in the past couple of seasons, he's had to learn how to come inside as well. Occasionally, he pulls it off (see Fulham where he scored from the left wing last season) but more often than not, he doesn't. However, he's only had a season and a bit of trying to do it. Converting from an orthodox right winger to a genuine two-footed inside forward isn't easy, especially with so little real practice.

He'll get better.

sure he is vvery quick but you questioned Pirate55's list and justified by because he has many appearances and 25 goals...all of pirates points are vvalid. my onl hope is that now that we havve a manager who seemingly has more tactics than redknapp who by all accounts (vdv INTERVIEWS gave it away) had few tactics and coaching, that him and defoe might get better..i say might.

sure he is vvery quick but you questioned Pirate55's list and justified by because he has many appearances and 25 goals...all of pirates points are vvalid. my onl hope is that now that we havve a manager who seemingly has more tactics than redknapp who by all accounts (vdv INTERVIEWS gave it away) had few tactics and coaching, that him and defoe might get better..i say might.

You asked if he had the tools, correct? I pointed out that he did. Simple.

You asked if he had the tools, correct? I pointed out that he did. Simple.

but you dismissed the flaws based on a stat of performnces/goals..and an assertion that he will get better....not sure if that is particularl cnvvincing..but hey ho

lennon's issue is his consistency.

at his best he looks a world beater, leaving players for dead.

at his worst he looks like he avoids responsibility, retracts into his shell, becomes invisible.

my personal experience with lennon is equally frustrating

when he goes on a run and i start to warm up that he can become great, he gets injured .

how much has he improved since we bought him?

When fully fit and confident he is world class. Then he picks up an injury and on his return it seems to take him about 6 matches to get back to his best. Stay injury free and he'd be incredible.

The thing that I like about Lennon is that even at his worst, he is still a 'safe' player. IMO he's excellent defensively for a winger, always tracking his full-back and helping out his own. And for someone whose biggest strength is running at defenders, he hardly ever loses possession for us! I appreciate that people actually want him to take more chances, but at least his bricky days come in the form of not having much of an impact, rather than constantly losing the ball and not working hard defensively.

Plus I love him because you NEVER see him diving, feigning injury, or getting aggressive with opposition players or the officials. For a speedster who gets fouled a lot like he does that's impressive, and I love him for it. Makes me proud that he's a Spurs player.

No homo.

The thing that I like about Lennon is that even at his worst, he is still a 'safe' player. IMO he's excellent defensively for a winger, always tracking his full-back and helping out his own. And for someone whose biggest strength is running at defenders, he hardly ever loses possession for us! I appreciate that people actually want him to take more chances, but at least his bricky days come in the form of not having much of an impact, rather than constantly losing the ball and not working hard defensively.

Plus I love him because you NEVER see him diving, feigning injury, or getting aggressive with opposition players or the officials. For a speedster who gets fouled a lot like he does that's impressive, and I love him for it. Makes me proud that he's a Spurs player.

No homo.

This!

Also has an amazing first touch which is often overlooked. Probably the best of anyone in our squad.

No homo.

Absolutely. Was speaking to a mate a while back, and he was telling me about a mate of his who's a sports physio in London, and has had contract work with several London clubs. Apparently he regards most of the players as a bunch of spoilt tossers who treat him like some kind of servant. Like Darren Bent on the phone while he's having a massage, discussing not being arsed to play the next weekend. Anyway, this guy specifically singles out Lennon as an example of a really sound bloke.

And that's as ITK as I get!

How many times do you see Lennon knocked flying to the ground? He usually gets up and gets on with it. No diving, no waving an imaginary card. One of my favourite players.

When fully fit and confident he is world class. Then he picks up an injury and on his return it seems to take him about 6 matches to get back to his best. Stay injury free and he'd be incredible.

"world class" "incredible"...come on do me favour

Also has an amazing first touch which is often overlooked. Probably the best of anyone in our squad.

i appreciate all that. first touch, clean player etc.

however he comes across like a boy in terms of temperament - not willing to impose himself, not trying to control the play, not trying to make his presence felt, not trying to annoy the hell out of defenders, all of which he should do given his talent.

kinda like Jenas, probably a problem in the head more than anything else. frustrating to watch bridled potential.

however he comes across like a boy in terms of temperament - not willing to impose himself, not trying to control the play, not trying to make his presence felt, not trying to annoy the hell out of defenders, all of which he should do given his talent.

kinda like Jenas, probably a problem in the head more than anything else. frustrating to watch bridled potential.

Fair point. I do think Lennon, when on song, can impose himself on games. Was it two seasons ago that he spent the whole second half against ManUre absolutely tormenting Patrice Evra? Seemed that he just ghosted past him at will, again and again, only for our forwards (Defoe? Crouch?).

The problem is that he's such a confidence player that he doesn't do it consistently. Bale's almost the exact opposite -- full of confidence at the start of every match, but sometimes gets marked out of it and ends up anonymous.

Perhaps AVB will bring in a sports psychologist or two who can sort him out? Can't see Redknapp doing that, but then, different managers have different strengths.

I disagree. I think Lennon always looks for the ball. He is also very intelligent in his play in terms of when he tries to beat his player or when he just lays it back or inside. If you watch him he will typically look to beat his player (and often does) when there will be options in the box for him to pass/cross to. However he doesn't aimlessly beat a player if he can see that doing this will just leave him near the byeline with no option in the box.

Most wingers will get around the outside of their marker and into a crossing position a couple of times in a game of football. Lennon achieves this two or three times that amount. IMO there isn't a better wide player that we could hope to get and our poor period last season coincided with him being out of the team (I am still annoyed that Harry didn't start him against QPR at Loftus Road).

Lennon's form has always dipped when we haven't had a ball player in central midfield, it was the same when Carrick left and we had Jenas and Zokora. Lennon's form picked up again when Hudd broke into the first team and continued with Modric there. Hopefully Dembele can fill this void but I am concerned that there won't be a place for him if we switch to 4-3-3.

Ive always felt Lennons form is dictated more by who is playing RB than CM.

Lennon and Stalteri = good Lennon
Lennon and Chimbonda = Bad Lennon
Lennon and Hutton = Very bad Lennon
Lennon and Corluka = Great Lennon
Lennon and Walker = kind of indiffernt, very good first half of last season but not since

lennon's issue is his consistency.

at his best he looks a world beater, leaving players for dead.

at his worst he looks like he avoids responsibility, retracts into his shell, becomes invisible.

my personal experience with lennon is equally frustrating

when he goes on a run and i start to warm up that he can become great, he gets injured .

how much has he improved since we bought him?

I think thats about right. IMO he has absolutely everything to be a top top player, except the mentality.

When he gets his tail up he is un playable, if only he could own games a bit more. KNOW he can score and take the shot instead of deferring to a team mate, WANT to score and make runs to the box instead of staying wide...

He has it all IMO, I just wish he would realise it

Ive always felt Lennons form is dictated more by who is playing RB than CM.

Lennon and Stalteri = good Lennon
Lennon and Chimbonda = Bad Lennon
Lennon and Hutton = Very bad Lennon
Lennon and Corluka = Great Lennon
Lennon and Walker = kind of indiffernt, very good first half of last season but not since

Lennon is very good at covering his full back, if you play him in front of a full back who is less good he will inevitably hold back a bit more. With regards to Lennon and Walker, there is only the beginning of last season when Lennon was superb, since then he has been injured or coming back from injury*.

* I wouldn't read too much into his form right now.

Back