• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lennon's back baby!

Lennon has been one of my favourite players since he burst on the scene for us back in 2005/2006. I've backed him through the 'We should sell him' days when he looked like he was at a standstill, but he has improved his all round game I feel, not only has his final ball improved but I think his awareness among other things has also improved.

I can definitely see Lennon staying at Tottenham for a VERY VERY long time, probably until he's early 30's to be honest, amazing to think he is still ONLY 24 years of age!!

Lennon has been one of my favourite players since he burst on the scene for us back in 2005/2006. I've backed him through the 'We should sell him' days when he looked like he was at a standstill, but he has improved his all round game I feel, not only has his final ball improved but I think his awareness among other things has also improved.

I can definitely see Lennon staying at Tottenham for a VERY VERY long time, probably until he's early 30's to be honest, amazing to think he is still ONLY 24 years of age!!

All depends on how he deals with losing his pace. As it is now, while he does have good touch and control, I don't think he has enough about him to stay at the top without his speed. If he can learn to adapt his game he can try and follow in the footsteps of Giggs, but players like him are extremely rare.

All depends on how he deals with losing his pace. As it is now, while he does have good touch and control, I don't think he has enough about him to stay at the top without his speed. If he can learn to adapt his game he can try and follow in the footsteps of Giggs, but players like him are extremely rare.

Very true. I think Lennon has almost everything else going for him in that respect though, he is a pretty good passer of the ball, an underrated part of his game for sure. His defensive work as we all know is good and I think his vision is pretty spot on. Wasn't it Martin Jol who once said Lennon could play down the centre one day?

In praise of Aaron Lennon

I know this is hardly revolutionary or particularly exciting - and perhaps this is a little indulgent - but I don’t think Lennon gets anywhere near the praise he deserves as a footballer from the masses, and as a Spurs player, from us:

• He’s been with us for about 7 years;
• He works hard every game – in fact, it’s only us Spurs fans who know the support he gives his full back;
• His first touch is brilliant – probably the best in our squad alongside Van der Vaart;
• He shifts his weight very, very well;
• He’s improved over the last few years, particularly his variety of crossing;
• You never see him moaning and whining on the pitch;
• I don’t recall him ever diving and it would be easy to do, given his speed and small frame;
• You never see him acting a fool off the pitch.

It’s a real shame he’s never been able to develop some ‘punch’ to his game – either with very consistent crossing or carrying a goal threat, like Bale.

Ultimately, I feel like he’ll need to be replaced with someone who’s able to provide 10 goals a year, particularly with the current trend of dispensing with two strikers, which has obviously put greater goalscoring responsibiliy on the midfielders. There may well be hope if we bring back Corluka, considering they work so brilliantly together, but sadly, that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

Overall though, it’s great to have a very good footballer and a seemingly decent bloke, who still has plenty of potential, in the squad.

As you were...

Last edited:
2w65pwm.jpg

2u408za.jpg

When he's on form, he's one of our most dangerous players. He's given some of the best left backs in the league an absolutely torrid time on numerous occasions.

My only criticism of him is he doesn't get enough goals. He's definitely a far better player than Walcott and a much better crosser of the ball, but Walcott is more clinical. Maybe a bit unfair as Walcott used to be a striker, but Lennon gets himself into good positions. They were saying on Soccer Saturday yesterday that you rarely see Lennon pop up in the box when Bale gets crosses in, which is a fair point.

Agree to an extent. A lot was said about our decline and Arry's links with England. It also coincided with our lack of a right winger and I refer to Azza. I like the guy, been at the club for ages - not made much noise and plays his game. He's also matured and is steadily using both feet. Not perfect but a real Spurs player IMO.

My fave player - part of the furniture and long may it continue.

I love him and he gets me off my seat - one of few players.

You forgot one point - he is by far the most unselfish player we have. In fact, sometimes I'd like to see him take a swing himself in some of the openings he creates.

We also have no one that tuned in to Defoe's game either, without having any statistics to back it up I think Lennon has done far more for Jermain's goal tally than anybody else except himself. Much like Corluka who you mention has been important to timing when to release Lennon and when to hold him back.

Walker hasn't got that sense yet, is a completely different and less experienced fullback, and often occupies space leaving Lennon to track back because he hasn't developed the overview yet, and add to that he wants to be the hero too often it seems. Sure he's a (tad over)confident and young lad, but at present I know who I prefer leaving the wing space to.

This method of flank play has been neglected since, expecting Lennon to perform miracles when in possession, and way too often leaving great runs unattended and too many misunderstandings on when to switch play and when to release. You can often see Lennon jumping up and down in fury because our players don't follow his runs, but instead passes to Bale and Adebayor heavily marked and facing the wrong way. Even Modric does this, I have a faint memory of Hudd being the only one able to switch effectively, but memories do have a tendency to be rosier as time goes by.

I don't want to sound too critical of Walker, but hopefully he will learn to lift his head a little, instead of regarding getting a cross in towards someone who may or may not there as his main goal. In that regard it reminds me a tiny little bit of how Johnson ruined Lennons world cup. But Walker will come good I'm sure.

I almost see our vision in having two lethal wingers as being a pipe dream, as our players seems unable to grasp that you actually can use both wings depending on flow of play. Bale suddenly seeing reflections of Cristiano in his mirror doesn't exactly help either.

Lennon adds a lot to our game our threat while carrying a lot of work defensively.

Really good player and to others point, no question we struggled minus him. Unfortunately he does get injured fairly regularly and then takes 5-6 games to get back to his best.

We absolutely need some cover/rotation for him, to allow him some rest, be able to keep him at his best for more of season.

Lennon adds a lot to our game our threat while carrying a lot of work defensively.

Really good player and to others point, no question we struggled minus him. Unfortunately he does get injured fairly regularly and then takes 5-6 games to get back to his best.

We absolutely need some cover/rotation for him, to allow him some rest, be able to keep him at his best for more of season.

You would think a player like him would be crap at defending... but the guy is very very good at carrying out his defensive duties. He tracks back and is actually pretty effective at it.

He is one of our most important players and when he is not playing we are a far weaker team, i really hope that next season he can be injury free because if he is then he will be one of the best players in the Prem.

Isn't he now the 2nd longest serving first teamer behind ledley king? He's very underrated in terms of workrate and technical ability, the only thing Lennon needs is a big confidence booster. On his day he is unplayable as his close control at pace is second to none in the league.

One thing I will say about Azza is his touch is exceptional. Have you noticed how he is able to bring it down with little trouble so often. Very underrated aspect to his game.

I know this is hardly revolutionary or particularly exciting - and perhaps this is a little indulgent - but I don’t think Lennon gets anywhere near the praise he deserves as a footballer from the masses, and as a Spurs player, from us:

• He’s been with us for about 7 years;
• He works hard every game – in fact, it’s only us Spurs fans who know the support he gives his full back;
• His first touch is brilliant – probably the best in our squad alongside Van der Vaart;
• He shifts his weight very, very well;
• He’s improved over the last few years, particularly his variety of crossing;
• You never see him moaning and whining on the pitch;
• I don’t recall him ever diving and it would be easy to do, given his speed and small frame;
• You never see him acting a fool off the pitch.

It’s a real shame he’s never been able to develop some ‘punch’ to his game – either with very consistent crossing or carrying a goal threat, like Bale.

Ultimately, I feel like he’ll need to be replaced with someone who’s able to provide 10 goals a year, particularly with the current trend of dispensing with two strikers, which has obviously put greater goalscoring responsibiliy on the midfielders. There may well be hope if we bring back Corluka, considering they work so brilliantly together, but sadly, that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

Overall though, it’s great to have a very good footballer and a seemingly decent bloke, who still has plenty of potential, in the squad.

As you were...

I think many fans give him too much praise if anything.

His game is very one dimensional, cutting the ball outwards 9 out of 10 times when taking on a defender. Many times this season he has been in the defenders pockets.

Can't see many other clubs bigger than us taking him on tbh.

He did have a good season a couple of seasons ago mind you so he does have the ability, just haven't seen similar form in some time. Definetley above Wallflop.

Last edited:
Back