• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

Despite his short career, I think King can be proud of the fact he won the League Cup with us. Not many Spurs captains managed to do that over the years. It was really a proud and emotional moment when King went up to receive the Leagup Cup after beating Chelsea in 2008.

Kings first eleven of players hes played with:

......................Gomes.........................
Carr......Dawson....Ferdinand.....Cole
....................Davids..........................
.........Gerrard.........Scholes...............
Ginola.........................................Bale
.....................Keane..................

What! No Woodgate?

Do fans of other clubs realise how good Ledley was? I really, really don't think so. I think they think he was just a standard good/loyal Spurs club man. It really frustrates me that unless you watched him a lot you just don't realise that he was one of the most naturally talented English defenders, well, ever.

I recall King having an immaculate start to one of his last seasons. He did so well, and was very very busy - yet in the first 5 matches he didn't get a yellow card ..... nor did he even concede a free kick !

What an asset.

That said, from his 'best' players ever .... I do hope he doesn't come to us as a Manager.

I recall King having an immaculate start to one of his last seasons. He did so well, and was very very busy - yet in the first 5 matches he didn't get a yellow card ..... nor did he even concede a free kick !

What an asset.

That said, from his 'best' players ever .... I do hope he doesn't come to us as a Manager.

Didnt Ledley go a whole season without being cautioned? I find that incredible for a defender.

Didn't Henry say something about him being his most difficult opponent?

Something along the line of King being the best defender he played against and being able to take the ball off him without ever fouling him or roughing him up. High praise indeed.

I hated the lack of appreciation around from most pros when he retired. He should have been hailed.

Begovic looked just as embarrassed as Boruc when his Stoke team-mates raced back to celebrate a goal that narrowly failed to dislodge Spurs defender Ledley King's effort after 10 seconds against Bradford in 2000 as the fastest Premier League goal.

Respect.

Probably the best English CB of his generation and the greatest defender I've seen at our club over the past 3 decades. Such a shame that injuries denied him the chance to cement his place in the national side and he happened to be at Spurs in the wake of the dire Sugar era and thus only has a measly League Cup winners medal to show for his immense ability. Can only imagine how formidable a partnership a fully fit King would've formed alongside Vertonghen...

Henry rates King as only defender to tackle fairly - International - Football - The Independent
"I don't like defenders who hold the shirts of other players. The only defender here who doesn't do that and sometimes still gets the ball off my feet easily is Ledley King.

"He is the only guy who doesn't hold players. He will get the ball off you without you even noticing. For me, that is a good defender.

"He plays without any contact yet is somehow still strong and gets the ball without doing any fouls."

[video=youtube;1bdixs4xqew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bdixs4xqew[/video]

i recall a time when gardner was ahead of king - including a number on here too (haha!) ...and was it pleat who gave him a brief spell as a defensive midfielder? he came back from that a much better player. In his early days he was faster and lighter compared to the later stages of his career. but like a true professional, he adapted, somehow trading cadence for a longer stride - and somehow still maintained his speed (over distance). short career, but was good to witness it from start to finish, all at WHL.

i recall a time when gardner was ahead of king - including a number on here too (haha!) ...and was it pleat who gave him a brief spell as a defensive midfielder? he came back from that a much better player. In his early days he was faster and lighter compared to the later stages of his career. but like a true professional, he adapted, somehow trading cadence for a longer stride - and somehow still maintained his speed (over distance). short career, but was good to witness it from start to finish, all at WHL.

I think a lot of central defenders benefit from playing different positions (either dm or full back) at some stage early in their careers. Perhaps the big strong and slow centre backs are exceptions, not sure.

haven't seen this on here before

1zdbxg9.jpg

Back