• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

When I think of Ledley, I find myself thinking if only, if only the Tottenham teams during his time at the club were stronger , if only he didn't suffer those knee injuries. I actually put Ledders up there with Moore, Baresi, Maldini, Beckenbauer and it were just a shame, we as a club were unable to showcase his talents on the European stage due to the CL Sky Four dominance and also, our demise, due to the footballing neglect our club endured during the Alan Sugar years.

For me he was always the first name I'd look for prior to the Spurs team being announced and my confidence levels on winning a game would rocket on seeing that he were playing.

Disgraceful that he only has 21 England caps.

It's a sad day but it's the right thing , good health is more important....

Thank You Ledley King .... COYS

Ledley King retired from the game on Thursday with just 21 international caps. He could easily have won 100.

How different both Tottenham and England's fortunes over the past decade could have been if the classy centre-back's career had not been cursed with an ongoing knee injury.

The 31-year old has confirmed he has hung up his playing boots and taken up an ambassadorial role at the club that he has served so selflessly for the past 17 years.

"He is likea magnet for the ball, a thoroughbred of a defender and the best centre-half in the country." - JAMIE REDKNAPP

"King would get the ball off you without you even noticing … he’s the only defender in England who doesn't hold onto you, and he sometimes still gets the ball off my feet easily." - THIERRY HENRY

"Without doubt, King is one of the best central defenders in England." - FABIO CAPELLO

"He is the best central defender I have ever seen." - MARTIN JOL

"He is an absolute freak.” - HARRY REDKNAPP

King joined Tottenham at the age of 14 in 1995, but, unlike many other talented players that have graced White Hart Lane in recent years, he never left.

Seventeen years and 323 first-team appearances later, King is retiring from the game and taking up an ambassadorial role.

For any normal player appearing that number of times for a Premier League club would be considered a superb achievement. In the case of King however, such figures seem unfairly low.

The graceful defender has been plagued by an chronic knee condition in recent years that has made it impossible for him to train with the rest of the first-team squad, and limiting his ability to play two games within the space of a week.

Such is the severity of the condition that every time he does play, it is in pain.

Despite this, King is still regarded within the game as one of the most talented centre-backs of his generation, a belief enhanced by the manner in which he has seamlessly slotted into the Tottenham line-up whenever his fitness has allowed it.

He performed superbly and did so at the highest level despite his lack of preparation with his team-mates.

The former Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp described him as "an absolute freak", such were the levels of his performances after lengthy spells on the sidelines, while a rival legend from down the road, Thierry Henry, spoke of how King was one of the best defenders he has played against.

It seems absurd to think that King won just one trophy in his playing career, Spurs’ League Cup victory over Chelsea in 2008 representing the only piece of silverware for a player who was as good - if not better – than the likes of John Terry and Rio Ferdinand.

In fact, Terry and King played together as youngsters for the Sunday League team Senrab FC in East London, but that was where their paths and achievements would part.

Terry has gone on to win three Premier League titles, five FA Cups, two League Cups, and then last year, the Champions League. He has also accumulated 77 England caps.

Watching some of King’s performances for Spurs you cannot help but feel devastated that he never achieved similar success. He certainly was good enough.

It is common for highly rated defenders, like Terry, to garner plaudits based on their knack for making last-ditch tackles or goal-bound blocks, King however, was from a whole different breed.

Not many centre-backs can be described as a luxury player, but King certainly fell - or perhaps glided - into that elite category.

His ability to read the play and position himself accordingly made it unnecessary for him to career around the pitch making a nuisance of himself.

When playing for Spurs he provided a calm aura that filtered through to his team-mates and made them a far more accomplished side.

Their win percentage improved dramatically with him in the side, and also made them a more attractive team to watch.

King would get the ball down on the deck and look to neatly pass out of defence, or on occasion dribble forward with the ball at his feet.

His passing ability and composure on the ball was highlighted when at the Euro 2004 he was used as a holding midfielder for England, and even there he shone, particularly in the 2-1 defeat to France in Lisbon.

To Ledley King, the best defender Tottenham and England barely had.

Arsenal fans on twitter having a field day. Pricks, he still won more trophies than the majority of there team have in England :lol:

Words like "great", "legend" and "world class" are often overused by fans and pundits alike. However with Ledley they and a lot more are all applicable. Suffice to say I would take a "fit" Ledley King ahead of evey other central defender that has ever played in the Premiership.

A very special player. I hear there will be a testimonal at the end of the season, for me the must see game of 2012

They'd love to have that sort of one club man.

Instead, they buy kids who fudge off when they're half decent.

It's hilarious, a favourite mine was a picture of King on the left with "Ledley" written under and ****ball on the right with "King" written under. Just shows how deluded they are.

It is sad to think, in this modern era will we ever have another 'one club man' like Ledley? Someone who comes through the ranks and stays with us their whole career? Difficult to see it happening. Man this is an upsetting day.

It's hilarious, a favourite mine was a picture of King on the left with "Ledley" written under and ****ball on the right with "King" written under. Just shows how deluded they are.

Campbell a 'king'?

"...it was the away side who took the lead on 25 minutes when Campbell's horrific attempted clearance allowed Reo-Coker a free run on goal from which the skipper coolly slotted past Jens Lehmann.

The Hammers then doubled their lead when Zamora shrugged off Campbell in the box and curled his effort superbly into the Arsenal net on 32 minutes.

Campbell failed to re-appear for the second half".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4657206.stm

Sad, sad day! Easily the best English defender of his generation. He started to deteriorate last season so I think he's doing the right thing. He needs to think about himself for a change and loof after himself! I'm worried about how we will cope without him. He gives the team and our fans such a lift when he's in the lineup. Only 8 yellow cards in the Premier League! Staggering!

Danny Rose ‏@Danny25Rose
Let me rephrase that ... How to make the game look easy !!! The king !!! #26

Hopefully he'll keep himself fit.

Halfway through the season when Caulker, Dawson and Vert are injured, with bassong suspended. We'll resign him for the rest of the season to fill in. 8-[

Everything already said about him, think it's the right timing, good to see him stay with club.

All the best and thanks Ledley

I used to have debates with fans of all kinds of other clubs. They'd say this or that centre back was better. Carragher...Chris fudging Riggot a fair few years ago now. But anyway, I used to always absolutely LOVE when you're in a debate about how good King is and simply say to them 'ok then, tell me his weakness'. Every single one of them were always stumped. Some of them would shut up. Some of them would mumble something that made no sense. But it was just fantastic. Because it was true, as a player in his position, he has no weakness.

Darren Bent ‏@DarrenBent
Sad to see Ledley King has been forced to retire. A truly great player, working with him has made me a better player. Wish him all the best!

Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker
I see Ledley King has announced his retirement from football. A truly wonderful player and credit to his sport. Wish him well. #spurslegend

Steve Nash ‏@SteveNash
Ledley King is a legend at Spurs. Different team when he was on the pitch. Wish him every success in his next chapter. COYS

Complete legend. Glad he is staying on in some capacity.

Easily the best English defender of his generation.

Will 100% be at the testimonial.

What a quality player. A question of what if i'm afraid but still a legend. Best performance or at least what he will be remembered for will be the chelsea 2-1 I suppose. I remember over the years watching spurs live, you can always tell the truly good players from the rest as on TV it is not always clear, but I remember thinking he was our best player by miles when I saw him live. Long live the King

Back