• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

If it's fickle to be honest about a player that used to be magnificent but is now no longer performing to those standards then sure.

It's fickle that after a great game from the King, people will once again be on his dingdong. I've seen what it's like after a bad game from King on here (Arsenal away two years ago springs to mind), people were saying it was over, only for him to then put on a string of world class performances for the next year and a half.

It's fickle that after a great game from the King, people will once again be on his dingdong. I've seen what it's like after a bad game from King on here (Arsenal away two years ago springs to mind), people were saying it was over, only for him to then put on a string of world class performances for the next year and a half.

To average it out he'd have to play well in 5 or so remaining games this season. I can't see him playing that much.

I also worry about the permanent damage he is currently doing to his knees.

To average it out he'd have to play well in 5 or so remaining games this season. I can't see him playing that much.

I also worry about the permanent damage he is currently doing to his knees.

Up to him really. He should have retired ages ago but he hasn't because he loves the club, loves playing football and wants to play every time it's possible, he's effectively putting his body on the line to play for Tottenham and I can't fault the man, even if he does get away with a potential penalty decision at home to Norwich, not like he conceded one, I've seen the greatest of defenders concede penalties, doesn't mean they've lost it.

Dude I have to call out on this one. I love Ledley, but no way is he currently our best centre back, if you think he is then I will question how often you have seen Spurs play this season. At their best Ledley and Campbell have been far and away the two best centre backs I have ever seen play for Spurs but right now even though Ledley may have the experience Kaboul is definitely our best centre back right now and has been all season
kaboul is definately more physical, and yet not enough for his size. but the bits of a CB that come from the brain isnt kabouls main strength......its kings though. kaboul is not on ledley's level at all

Sadly I have to agree :( He still reads the game well but can't seem to cope with the physical aspect any more as we've seen recently against Stoke, Everton, ManU, ARSEnal and Norwich.

King didn't play against Swansea afaik...

spot on, reflex defense mechanism. king didnt play. was gallas that stood his ground

I often hear Ledley being called a legend, so I decided to look at the real definition of the word. It reads that a legend is "a very old story or set of stories from ancient times, or the stories, not always true, that people tell about a famous event or person".

Now I have seen some awesome performances from the King over the years, but I am beginning to believe that we are starting to see some chinks in his armour? So based on the definition shown above, I want the stories we tell about him now and in the future to be true. I don’t want the stories about him to be laced with sadness about what he became at the end, or what could have been?

So, the $64k question is this, do we allow our respect, our love and our emotion for the King to hope that Redknapp picks him in the starting line up tomorrow? My heart says "yes", but my head says "no"!

Whatever happens at the end of the season, I am afraid to say that we must begin to plan for a future without him as a player. By all means, give him a coaching role, or an ambassadorial role for the club, but let’s hope that he is allowed to retire with dignity?

On ability, sure he is still better than Kaboul and Nelsen, by some distance! But he simply can't run anymore. I'm not exaggerating by saying that he must be one of the slowest defenders in the league now. If you get bullied, out muscled and done for pace by Grant Holt, then there is clearly a problem.

King has always been bullied and made to look bad by strong forwards its been his only weakness, I can remember Ferguson giving him a right torid time but back then he could recover and get in a second challenge, King needs someone to attack the ball along side him and that is not Gallas, if Chelsea go for two up top then I would start with Nelsen.

King has always been bullied and made to look bad by strong forwards its been his only weakness, I can remember Ferguson giving him a right torid time but back then he could recover and get in a second challenge, King needs someone to attack the ball along side him and that is not Gallas, if Chelsea go for two up top then I would start with Nelsen.

Not sure I agree, he's had Drogba in his pocket on many occasions.

Not sure I agree, he's had Drogba in his pocket on many occasions.

I dont think he has, dont get me wrong I think King has been a terrific player but "has" is the telling word, Carlton Cole is another player that has given him a hard time, out of all the centre halfs I have seen at Spurs Norman and King would be my favourite pairing followed by England and Gough.

While on the subject Phil Beal would be excellent in the modern game, be stayed on his feet, very clean tackler and read it well.

First game in ages without king and what a difference. Solid, assured, no nervousness.
Admittedly Blackburn offered nothing in attack but either way our defence looks best without king in it.

Looking at the tweets from Ben Pearce from todays press conference, I would be very surprised, if Ledley gets offered a new contract.

Ben Pearce ‏ @BenPearceSpurs

#thfc Redknapp: 'He (King) was doing so well and then he took a bad knock and bent his knee. He's never felt the same since...'

#thfc HR: 'Hes kept going for the sake of the team, but he'd be the first to admit he hasnt been the same, his movement hasn't been as good'

Time to move on now - both for Spurs and for Ledley. Hopefully they will offer him some kind of coaching position.

Looking at the tweets from Ben Pearce from todays press conference, I would be very surprised, if Ledley gets offered a new contract.

#thfc Redknapp: 'He (King) was doing so well and then he took a bad knock and bent his knee. He's never felt the same since...'

#thfc HR: 'Hes kept going for the sake of the team, but he'd be the first to admit he hasnt been the same, his movement hasn't been as good'

Time to move on now - both for Spurs and for Ledley. Hopefully they will offer him some kind of coaching position.

At least that explains some stuff

It really was baffling as the one thing ledley always was, was consistent, consistently brilliant.

To persist with playing when you know you're limited is brave indeed.

Ledley has done so much for us, now is the time we do something for him, look after him jobwise and healthwise, don't ruin the next 50yrs by continuing.

Absolutely spot on. Retire now and preserve his dignity as an absolute Tottenham Hotspur legend and the best player we've produced in a decade. A fitting testimonial is well in order just to add.

Last edited:
Absolutely spot on. Retire now and preserve his dignity as an absolute Tottenham Hotspur legend and the best player we've produced in a decade. A fitting testimonial is well in order just to add.[/QUOTE]

We always have a home friendly the week before the season starts (assume it will Aug 11th/12th). I think the club should make it his testimonial game this year, with a fitting opponent. Somebody like Juventus, Ajax or Bayern Munich, a name that befits his status

Absolutely spot on. Retire now and preserve his dignity as an absolute Tottenham Hotspur legend and the best player we've produced in a decade. A fitting testimonial is well in order just to add.[/QUOTE]

We always have a home friendly the week before the season starts (assume it will Aug 11th/12th). I think the club should make it his testimonial game this year, with a fitting opponent. Somebody like Juventus, Ajax or Bayern Munich, a name that befits his status

Real Madrid then..

Back