• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

League Cup 2015 - Semi Final: Sheffield United (H/A)

Re: League Cup 2014

Depends if you are a fan, or an accountant.

It's overstated anyway - all our CL money last time got eaten up by player bonuses, none went into the infrustructure

And that's how you attract, and keep, the highest caliber of players

And that's how you attract, and keep, the highest caliber of players

But what's the point of having them just to finish 4th?

I'd rather finish 5th and win a cup every season than finish 4th and win nothing every season.

I think we could/should win this.

I'm not really bothered about the league this season - I want a cup or two.

2008 was my second best Spurs supporting moment (after 1991). I'd love to replicate that come March.

Guess it shows what a complete mess Sir Alan made of our club that what was once thought of as a consolation prize with about as much prestige as the Charity Shield is now considered Tottenham' most glorious success in 2 decades.

The 1991 FA Cup win remains by far and away the highlight of my quarter century supporting Spurs and I still remember that day more vividly than either of the League Cup wins.

Having said that, beggars can't be choosers (what with our FA Cup semi-final curse and the difficulty of the Europa League) and we can but hope that picking up some silverware will help Pochettino instill a winning mentality at our club again.

Depends if you are a fan, or an accountant.

It's overstated anyway - all our CL money last time got eaten up by player bonuses, none went into the infrustructure

I don't think it all went on bonuses. Our wages bill went up that season and never went down.

From the Annual Reports http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-club/investor-relations/annual-reports
2010 - 67,073,000
2011 - 91,063,000
2012 - 90,206,000
2013 - 96,087,000

Surely if they were 20m in bonuses due tot he CL they'd be a one off cost.
Its more down to the players Harry brought in on higher wages.
We started paying more in wages with a lower net spend on transfer fees as Harry snapped up his 'bargains' like Gallas, Friedel and Parker

We need any trophy by 2019 to ensure that we keep up out record of winning at least one bit of silverware in every decade since the 50s! And this season seems as good as any to do that :)

We need any trophy by 2019 to ensure that we keep up out record of winning at least one bit of silverware in every decade since the 50s! And this season seems as good as any to do that :)

I think we'd be much better set up to do that in Poch's second year.
Also there is the way he was seen to throw away Southampton's FA Cup campaign last year by fielding a weakened team.
I'm not sure how much interest he'll have in this competition this year.

I think we'd be much better set up to do that in Poch's second year.
Also there is the way he was seen to throw away Southampton's FA Cup campaign last year by fielding a weakened team.
I'm not sure how much interest he'll have in this competition this year.

He's at Tottenham Hotspur now.

The expectations are higher. And he knows it.

Besides which, we have a much deeper squad than Southampton. We can afford to pick a largely second choice team and still be competitive in most cup games.

Of course I would be celebrating. I did not say I would not. But that does not give the League Cup added Value in anyones mind. I am all for prioritizing the Europa as it has a massive Carrot at the end. The FA Cup has the prestige. The League cup has neither of those. But yes. I would still celebrate it, of course.
The Europa League might have a big carrot at the end. Unfortunately this carrot is hanging on a very long stick. After numerous failed attempts to get past the quaterfinal in this competition, I'm not so sure whether this carrot is actually reachable for us.

He's at Tottenham Hotspur now.

The expectations are higher. And he knows it.

Besides which, we have a much deeper squad than Southampton. We can afford to pick a largely second choice team and still be competitive in most cup games.

This ..

The two Europa games shows we can pretty much play a completely separate 11 in Cups and hopefully not effect our PL squad

- Vorm, Naughton, Vlad, Fazio, Davies, Sandro, Holtby, Townsend, Paulinho, Kane, Soldado

That team should get us through any non top 4 engagements in the domestic cups.

This ..

The two Europa games shows we can pretty much play a completely separate 11 in Cups and hopefully not effect our PL squad

- Vorm, Naughton, Vlad, Fazio, Davies, Sandro, Holtby, Townsend, Paulinho, Kane, Soldado

That team should get us through any non top 4 engagements in the domestic cups.

Ok let me just check then :

Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose, Lennon, Dembele, Eriksen, Lamela, Bentaleb?, Adebayor

Subs include: Chadli, Dier

Yep, a decent argument. If we took fringe players as the bench for cup matches eg Caroll, Mason, then you rule out the need for the first XI to travel which affects preparations.

But I'd be wary of motivation... All want to play in the PL and also they know that a more "senior" player could take their place if we progress (and so they should non of this Brad Frickin Friedel if we are into the last 16 again please)

However.... WOW!. Enough passion in that cup team to take on a top 4 team too .... I thought the team on the pitch last night looked good enough to get very far.

Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose, Lennon, Dembele, Eriksen, Lamela, Bentaleb?, Adebayor

Yep, a decent argument. If we took fringe players as the bench for cup matches eg Caroll, Mason, then you rule out the need for the first XI to travel which affects preparations.

But I'd be wary of motivation... All want to play in the PL and also they know that a more "senior" player could take their place if we progress (and so they should non of this Brad Frickin Friedel if we are into the last 16 again please)

However.... WOW!. Enough passion in that cup team to take on a top 4 team too .... I thought the team on the pitch last night looked good enough to get very far.

Well, it can work the other way, if someone shines in Cups, they could be moved to PL squad ..

But the idea is sound, I really hope we don't fall into the old trap of playing 4-6 players in both, especially earlier and then tire at end of season. Time and time again, sides with less cup commitments go far in PL, I believe one of the upsides to the "not knowing your best 11" issue we have, is the 2nd team is quite close (in most positions) to 1st team and we could getaway with a 2 team approach.

That team last night would finish top half of the league IMO.

What was great was the style and character that they kept on plugging away until we got into a no lose position

its rare to see a change of team like we did keep up the same style and momentum

You realise last night's team was a whole new team* compared to QPR, right? I.e. Dier and Chadli and Capoue (who you forgot) played against QPR and looked good, right

*Lloris, Vorm, yadda yadda

Guess it shows what a complete mess Sir Alan made of our club that what was once thought of as a consolation prize with about as much prestige as the Charity Shield is now considered Tottenham' most glorious success in 2 decades.

The 1991 FA Cup win remains by far and away the highlight of my quarter century supporting Spurs and I still remember that day more vividly than either of the League Cup wins.

Having said that, beggars can't be choosers (what with our FA Cup semi-final curse and the difficulty of the Europa League) and we can but hope that picking up some silverware will help Pochettino instill a winning mentality at our club again.

For me, there's no comparison between the Charity Shield and the League Cup. One is a glorified friendly, the other is major trophy. Ever since the final went to Wembley in 67 and also had Europe as a prize, it's been way more important than the Charity Shield, IMHO of course. The Cup took a bit of a dip in the 90s, but I absolutely loved it in 99, and stayed singing and celebrating for something like half an hour after the final whistle. While that wonderful Cup run in 2008 is one of the most magical memorable Cup runs in our entire history, again IMHO. Beating Emirates Marketing Project away in the quarters, then Arsenal 6-2 on aggregate, then Chelsea, maybe the richest club in the world at that time, simply amazing.

You realise last night's team was a whole new team* compared to QPR, right? I.e. Dier and Chadli and Capoue (who you forgot) played against QPR and looked good, right

*Lloris, Vorm, yadda yadda

Didn't realise it was a totally different team. And I can't believe I forgot Mr Possession Capoue!

I remember when Milan were awesome in the 90s and there was talk of them creating two different teams one for the European Cup and one for Serie A. It was partly to justify them buying more than the three foreigners they could field.

CUP SIDE
Vorm, Naughton, Vlad, Fazio, Davies, Sandro, Holtby, Townsend, Paulinho, Kane, Soldado

LEAGUE SIDE
Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose, Lennon, Dembele, Eriksen, Lamela, Capoue, Adebayor

Let's say the subs were on the bench for all matches, effectively providing competition for both teams:
Subs : Friedel, Dier, Bentaleb, Carroll, Mason, Chadli

In theory the cup side have 29 matches maximum against the PL 38. But they also have the incentive of two extra games 2015/16 (Community Shield and Super Cup).... Plus they get first dibs on Champions League places ;)

Re: League Cup 2014 - 4th round: Brighton (H)

couldn't be better.

juicy ones:

Stoke vs Southampton

Liverpool vs Swansea

Emirates Marketing Project vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Last edited:
Back