• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

LCBs

1.91 m. He's a fair sized lad, especially at this resolution :)

p244954_t449_2022_0_001_000.png

Slow and absolutely atrocious in the air for his size.

https://fbref.com/en/players/532e1e4f/Pau-Torres

In the 18th percentile for headers won, for a player of his size, is ridiculously bad. He's the inverse Lisandro Martinez.

And that's in a slow, sedate, largely possession-based league. The Prem will absolutely eat him alive - stay clear.

Slow and absolutely atrocious in the air for his size.

https://fbref.com/en/players/532e1e4f/Pau-Torres

In the 18th percentile for headers won, for a player of his size, is ridiculously bad. He's the inverse Lisandro Martinez.

And that's in a slow, sedate, largely possession-based league. The Prem will absolutely eat him alive - stay clear.

You’re correct, yet he’s silll an upgrade. Maybe someone like that Lille defender - with pace - makes sense. Who’d you go for?

You’re correct, yet he’s silll an upgrade. Maybe someone like that Lille defender - with pace - makes sense. Who’d you go for?

Fair shout, if you mean Djalo? But he's right footed iirc, so not ideal if we're looking for a traditional LCB.

I'd go with Evan Ndicka. Available right now (will be free in the summer, but no doubt Frankfurt will take what they can get now), and has the right physical and defensive qualities to succeed in the Prem, as well as being reasonably technically gifted.

if we push it to the summer, Hincapie - not because he's good in the air, he 100% isn't, but at least he has loads of recovery pace, and his playing style is so similar to Romero's that it would he amusing to have two aggressive South Americans either side of our CCB hassling and harrying opponents. :p

1.91 m. He's a fair sized lad, especially at this resolution :)

p244954_t449_2022_0_001_000.png

Height is not his problem. But he's not physically strong from what I've seen and can be bullied by physical attackers. Not sure the PL is a good fit for him.

Could be wrong of course, but would have reservations about paying a lot of money for him. Particularly when/if we move to a back four.

Very good player in a lot of other areas though.

Agreed. Also, regarding CCB, one interesting thing I found looking up options was that Nico Elvedi (26, 1.89m, Swiss CB playing for Gladbach, contract ends in 2024) has a statistical profile most similar to..Eric Dier. Like, Dier is the top comparison for Elvedi (along with a lot of other players who would be good as CCBs - De Ligt, Skriniar, Romagnoli, etc.) -

https://fbref.com/en/players/48035304/Nico-Elvedi

...however, his technical quality has always been miles ahead of Dier's. Remember City were interested in him before he extended at Gladbach, in part because of his reliability on the ball.

Wonder if he's worth moving for now or in the summer? Seems perfect for our needs.

Agreed. Also, regarding CCB, one interesting thing I found looking up options was that Nico Elvedi (26, 1.89m, Swiss CB playing for Gladbach, contract ends in 2024) has a statistical profile most similar to..Eric Dier. Like, Dier is the top comparison for Elvedi (along with a lot of other players who would be good as CCBs - De Ligt, Skriniar, Romagnoli, etc.) -

...however, his technical quality has always been miles ahead of Dier's. Remember City were interested in him before he extended at Gladbach, in part because of his reliability on the ball.

Wonder if he's worth moving for now or in the summer? Seems perfect for our needs.
Left footer too
Was a player a few years back but I haven’t seen anything of him for a few years

I'm still bummed we didn't go for Badiashile. I've been harping about him for the last 3 years. He'll be a top player.
We really needed a left-footed CB... he would've gotten much more playing time here than at Chelsea. Gvardiol is out of our reach but this guy was gettable IMO. Too busy getting Lenglets and Sanchezes (not even the dirty kind, unfortunately)...

I posted this back in April 2021.... when discussing players I would've liked us to sign for our positions of need:
'Elvedi. 1 year left on contract, fantastic ball playing centre back similar to John Stones but without the calamities.'

We really needed a left-footed CB... he would've gotten much more playing time here than at Chelsea. Gvardiol is out of our reach but this guy was gettable IMO. Too busy getting Lenglets and Sanchezes (not even the dirty kind, unfortunately)...
I think we're tight on money (hence the very late hijack for Danjouma that only ended up possible because the player's agent didn't submit the registration after Everton sacked Lampard)

I think we're tight on money (hence the very late hijack for Danjouma that only ended up possible because the player's agent didn't submit the registration after Everton sacked Lampard)
We must be
Can’t work out why with the cash injection and profit that we must have made last season
Looks to me like we are only spending the £150m and we hadn’t even drawn down the full amount before Christmas
All seems odd to me

Paul O'keefe tweeted that we were looking at loan to buy and out of contract in the summer type deals. So probably fairly tight if Porro goes through.

Could end up with a sizeable net spend on total though, so "tight" is a relative term.

As an aside Finney, do you have a good source on the Danjouma story?

Always found these late "hijackings" interesting. Are clubs just suddenly realising that a player is available and they scramble at the last moment. Agents doing a last round of checking for options before signing. Or is it more a case of clubs letting agents know that they may be interested, ask them for a call before the deal is completed as they may or may not want to make the deal.

Seems so strange to just suddenly move on a player with no previous contact just at the brink of them signing for someone else. Particularly with players where they're more or less publicly known to be available.

As an aside Finney, do you have a good source on the Danjouma story?

Always found these late "hijackings" interesting. Are clubs just suddenly realising that a player is available and they scramble at the last moment. Agents doing a last round of checking for options before signing. Or is it more a case of clubs letting agents know that they may be interested, ask them for a call before the deal is completed as they may or may not want to make the deal.

Seems so strange to just suddenly move on a player with no previous contact just at the brink of them signing for someone else. Particularly with players where they're more or less publicly known to be available.
No. No source at all. However the fact that the player had completed his medical and done his media session shows that the deal was done bar him signing and submitting the contract. Now I don't blame the player/agent at all for holding off on that when news started to emerge that the manager might be sacked but in normal circumstances it would be quite bad form for an agent to go round and start trying to do deals with other clubs at that stage.

My guess on this (and it is just a guess) is that the club thought they might be able to get both Zaniolo and Porro (who seemed to be the top targets) for lower transfer fees (or at least lower up front payments) than has ended up becoming the case so we've brought in a cheap deal to provide cover up front which will leave enough funds to do just the deal for Porro.

To be frank here I was pleased that we did jump in and sign Danjuma as I was a bit frustrated that we weren't in for him at the outset. I think he has good attributes for the PL, he is fast, has good touch, is the right age and has the right experience to be coming to the PL, has good physical strength and balance and (most importantly) he dribbles, passes and finishes with both feet, which tends to allow a player to appear to have more time on the ball. I actually think that we're starting to put a decent squad together and really just need a bit of work to find a top class keeper and a top class CB to play alongside Romero and we'll be competitive.

No. No source at all. However the fact that the player had completed his medical and done his media session shows that the deal was done bar him signing and submitting the contract. Now I don't blame the player/agent at all for holding off on that when news started to emerge that the manager might be sacked but in normal circumstances it would be quite bad form for an agent to go round and start trying to do deals with other clubs at that stage.

My guess on this (and it is just a guess) is that the club thought they might be able to get both Zaniolo and Porro (who seemed to be the top targets) for lower transfer fees (or at least lower up front payments) than has ended up becoming the case so we've brought in a cheap deal to provide cover up front which will leave enough funds to do just the deal for Porro.

To be frank here I was pleased that we did jump in and sign Danjuma as I was a bit frustrated that we weren't in for him at the outset. I think he has good attributes for the PL, he is fast, has good touch, is the right age and has the right experience to be coming to the PL, has good physical strength and balance and (most importantly) he dribbles, passes and finishes with both feet, which tends to allow a player to appear to have more time on the ball. I actually think that we're starting to put a decent squad together and really just need a bit of work to find a top class keeper and a top class CB to play alongside Romero and we'll be competitive.
Lampard leaving was key apparently
He realised the club he would join was a mess
His agent has also been all the teams in England selling him (in agreement with Villarreal)

Back