• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Late goals

Jurgen the German

Tommy Harmer
United and Arsenal have a history of scoring late goals. Chelsea got one today. Liverpool used to score late goals when they were at the top. All the top teams seem to be able to do it, except for us. What is it that makes teams do it so often? Is it fitness or is it the teams mentioned don't give up until the final whistle?

United and Arsenal have a history of scoring late goals. Chelsea got one today. Liverpool used to score late goals when they were at the top. All the top teams seem to be able to do it, except for us. What is it that makes teams do it so often? Is it fitness or is it the teams mentioned don't give up until the final whistle?

I think it's more down to the opposition teams feeling more and more pressure and caving. Self fulfilling prophecy and all that.

We do get a few, none this season, but the ones i remember are:

Lennon vs loserpool
Kranjcar vs bolton
Pav vs birmingham
Lennon vs birmingham
Lennon vs wet spam

We have done it sometimes. Rafa against Stoke this season, Lennon against Liverpool last season. I'd say we're good for one a season. But I agree, we don't do it nearly as much as we should. We don't exert enough pressure, don't tire the other team out mentally. That's what makes the difference.

We did get one against Stoke.

THIS SEASON.

But yeah generally there arent too many

Nothing better than a late winners for your team in front of your end, fudging marvellous. In terms of us getting late goals - United and such seem to work at the same rate until the whistle has been blown. I'm not sure we're the same...

In the last 10-15 minutes today there were at least twice where Sunderland passed the ball back to Mignolet and we just stood around allowing him to waste time. That was after both Defoe and Saha had been brought on and neither one of them should have been even close to tired.

We just didn't want it today. Sunderland seemed happy with a draw and played like it, and so did we by the looks of things.

In the last 10-15 minutes today there were at least twice where Sunderland passed the ball back to Mignolet and we just stood around allowing him to waste time. That was after both Defoe and Saha had been brought on and neither one of them should have been even close to tired.

We just didn't want it today. Sunderland seemed happy with a draw and played like it, and so did we by the looks of things.

Agree with all of the above.

They got one at home against Wigan.
We got a point at a Sunderland side who played like the away side and parked the bus. Seriously, don't be downhearted...we will make it...

Nothing better than a late winners for your team in front of your end, fudging marvellous. In terms of us getting late goals - United and such seem to work at the same rate until the whistle has been blown. I'm not sure we're the same...

Yeah I agree. Watching United on Monday night, you just knew they would score eventually, and I think even their fans know it too!

They got one at home against Wigan.
We got a point at a Sunderland side who played like the away side and parked the bus. Seriously, don't be downhearted...we will make it...

I'm actually not too disappointed with a point, just the performance wasn't good enough imo. Arsenal have won something like 13 points in the last 15 minutes of games this season.

I'm actually not too disappointed with a point, just the performance wasn't good enough imo. Arsenal have won something like 13 points in the last 15 minutes of games this season.

Which means we've accumilated more points in earlier minutes of matches. Stats like that are pointless, all that matters is that we have enough points to finish 3rd, I couldn't give a monkeys whether the points are won in the 3rd or 93rd minute of the match.....

Which means we've accumilated more points in earlier minutes of matches. Stats like that are pointless, all that matters is that we have enough points to finish 3rd, I couldn't give a monkeys whether the points are won in the 3rd or 93rd minute of the match.....
You're completely missing the point. If we played with the same belief and determination right up to the final whistle as do United we'd be up there with them by now. Parker's extraordinary long backpass to Friedel in the dying seconds today reveals why we do not have the awareness and nous to create chances that snatch critical points at the death.

The season we nearly got 4th but for lasagnegate we conceded so many last minute goals. Fulham and Gallas for Chelsea come to my mind plus many more. We've never scored many late goals and I believe it comes from the mentality of the manager down to the players.

I used to call scum lucky cos of all the late goals but there must be more to it than luck.

We have done it sometimes. Rafa against Stoke this season, Lennon against Liverpool last season. I'd say we're good for one a season. But I agree, we don't do it nearly as much as we should. We don't exert enough pressure, don't tire the other team out mentally. That's what makes the difference.

Arsenal and United also play with heightened intensity at key times, especially towards the end of each half, which ramps up the pressure even more. We'll do it occasionally if we're chasing a game, but I doubt we'd have scored their winner against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, for example. We'd have settled for the 1-1.

Back