• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Laser Eye Surgery

Leeds Spur

Banned
I'm looking into this.

I have astigmatism in both eyes but I don't have a particularly strong prescription, 1.75ish in both eyes.

Looking at LASIK with Wavefront and Intralase.

I'm expecting to pay around ?ú3k?

Experiences, recommendations etc??

I'm booked in for a consultation at Optimax tomorrow but won't be rushing into anything.

Seriously interested in this clinic based at St. James Hospital in Leeds as the money goes to the NHS and they surgeons are not salesmen!

http://www.stjameslaservision.co.uk/content/pages/index.asp

I had it done 12 years ago, cost ?ú3,000 was one of the first Lasik's, still to this day I have perfect 20/20 vision, one of the best decisions I ever made..

The aftercare took longer than it does now, ie about 10 days, thats obviously massively different now

I used to spend about ?ú400 plus a year on glasses and sunglasses so ive saved money already, a no brainer for me

i would consider this, but i think my eyesight is deteriorating too much.
am i right in thinking if you're eyesight is getting worse and worse, it will still continue to do that after the surgery, making it (albeit in awhile) as bad as it started?

Depends on the rate of decline.

93% of people get BETTER than 20/20 vision....so your eyesight could deteriorate further and you'd still have great vision, certainly good enough to drive legally.

i would consider this, but i think my eyesight is deteriorating too much.
am i right in thinking if you're eyesight is getting worse and worse, it will still continue to do that after the surgery, making it (albeit in awhile) as bad as it started?

i had Lasik with wavefront 1.5years ago (?ú3900 i think, with Ultralase)
gotta say Ultralase St Albans were not pushy at all,very open and honest, answered any questions i had.

astigmatism of 1.75 and 2.25 i think - if you feel ready to do it, i would say do it. just make sure you feel happy with everything.

remember its surgery, things can go wrong. no one knows the long term effects yet - we are essentailly guinea pigs in that regard.

i get a bit of halo-ing now in low light (this is a common side effect), but nothing major and certainly less than a smudge on glasses lenses cause.

whoever you go with, do your research on the company and check what their aftercare policy is

in total i took 10 years to decide to do it and took a month or so after my Ultralase consultation (actually two consultations i think)

I have -0.5 in each eye but I use computers a lot, wouldnt mind getting it 20/20 at some point.

Think only place I would want to go is Moorfields (http://www.moorfields-private.co.uk/home) which is supposedly one of the worlds leading eye hospitals.

The website has a lot of detailed info on it.

Says Lasik recovery is only 2 - 7 days.

I have never needed it - but my wife did, and she would recommend it to anyone who would benefit.

My best memory was the morning following the operation, when she got up and looked out of the bedroom window and said "I can see everything"

sadly she then looked at me and realised for the first time what an ugly bastard I am.

I've had to keep her in the cellar since then...........

i had Lasik with wavefront 1.5years ago (?ú3900 i think, with Ultralase)
gotta say Ultralase St Albans were not pushy at all,very open and honest, answered any questions i had.

astigmatism of 1.75 and 2.25 i think - if you feel ready to do it, i would say do it. just make sure you feel happy with everything.

remember its surgery, things can go wrong. no one knows the long term effects yet - we are essentailly guinea pigs in that regard.

i get a bit of halo-ing now in low light (this is a common side effect), but nothing major and certainly less than a smudge on glasses lenses cause.

whoever you go with, do your research on the company and check what their aftercare policy is

in total i took 10 years to decide to do it and took a month or so after my Ultralase consultation (actually two consultations i think)

Took a month or so to settle down?

Booked in at Jimmy's Hospital in Leeds on Friday, would rather put ?ú3k back into the NHS!!

Depends if they offer finance!

I had it two months ago. My left eye is perfect now, my right eye isn't. I had mild swelling (edema) in my right eye. Have to go back in April to get a touch up on my right eye. Not a big deal, just not perfect, which is annoying.

Yeah, they said that 4-5% of people need follow up treatment.

These atropine drops are tinkling me off, feel like i'm on ecstasy!!

Took a month or so to settle down?

if i remember, more like three months to settle totally - but let me detail my experience;

left surgery 2pm ish thurs
taxi home (couldnt really see anything - much like an out of focus camera, underwater)

spent the rest of the day laying in bed putting drops in every few hours (actually the Mrs did the drops - but that say more about me than anything!!)

gotta be honest - eyes hurt (burning) like hell that evening and the next day. but then i had just has them burnt!
went for a following up 9am the next day (less than 24hours they ussually say to wait) - have vision GHod enough to drive. (although it was dodgy enough walking!!)

it hurt to watch tv for more than a few hours the next couple of days.

went into work on mon and did an intense IT training course for the week - vision was still blurry (on a scale of 1-10, 10 be healed, 1 being vision when not wearing my glasses), it was probably a 3 -4 all week.
eyes were really red and freaky looking all week.

after the first week i really started to notice my eyes calming down - the antiinflamitories and antibiotics you have to take (every 3 hrs if i remember) do kick in well and work brilliantly

after that eyesight got to about an 8 pretty quickly, but still very, bloodshot looking (went to an interview that week and they commented on my eyes!)

i would say after a month it was an 8.5-9. then took another few months to settle to a 10 - i still have a little blurred vision at some acute angle in certain light conditions

for me - 6 months was the total healing time......but im talking 100% completion. in reality, 1-2 weeks and you are pretty much "normal".

personally i would say take two or three days after the op to rest up (from my experience that is)

worst thing is having to tape plastic cups over your eyes before bed everynight - bloody annoying to sleep with those on!
in summary, the op is VERY intense - most intense 15mins of concentration if my life. you smell the smell of burning flesh as they burn your cornea (its a lovely smell IMO!!), your eyes will sting like someone has burn them and then poured vinegar in for appx 10 hours afterwards (although this is helped a fair bit by drops) and water will steam out of your eyes like an open tap

i have had two side effects - some halo-ing in low light and an increase in "sleep" (the white stuff) building up and needing wiping away, although that has decreased over time if not gone away (maybe it will go back to "pre surgery levels" in a year or so)

During the consultation today mate, they put them in to dilate your pupils and relax your eyes so you can't focus and they can test you 'true' prescription.

My eyes look like i've done a load of pills in! Couldn't see fudge all for 5 hours either!!

I've been quoted ?ú2195 all inclusive for LASIK with Intralase and Wavefront......basically the gold standard treatment.

The surgeon is this fella, he's done 20,000 operations!!!

http://www.optimax.co.uk/our_surgeons/laser_eye_surgeon_dr_samuel.aspx

So.....not sure if i'm gonna get a better deal.

The info pack they gave me is great, basically details of people with the same prescription to me and the same age and numbers to call them on to chat things over!! Also all the datafor the sugeon etc....I'm quite impressed.

I'd love to get my eyes fixed. Last time I checked it wasn't a goer though...I suffer from dry eyes which can be problematic. Also I don't think it would get me back to 20:20 vision as my prescription is pretty strong at the moment (-8.5 in one eye, -6.75 in the other). I live in hope.

They told me they can do up to -11 mate......I would go for a consultation.

I'm only 0.5 in both eyes but with a strong astigmatism of -2.5.

99.6% of people get diving standard which is 30/20 vision......you wouldn't need glasses.

Otherwise Intra-Occular Lenses are a real option these days....they give you PERFECT vision!

During the consultation today mate, they put them in to dilate your pupils and relax your eyes so you can't focus and they can test you 'true' prescription.

My eyes look like i've done a load of pills in! Couldn't see fudge all for 5 hours either!!

I've been quoted ?ú2195 all inclusive for LASIK with Intralase and Wavefront......basically the gold standard treatment.

The surgeon is this fella, he's done 20,000 operations!!!

http://www.optimax.co.uk/our_surgeons/laser_eye_surgeon_dr_samuel.aspx

So.....not sure if i'm gonna get a better deal.
The info pack they gave me is great, basically details of people with the same prescription to me and the same age and numbers to call them on to chat things over!! Also all the datafor the sugeon etc....I'm quite impressed.

my advice would be to take the "business equation" out of the thought process.

if you are happy to do it, happy with the surgeon and surgery etc and happy to pay the price - then you ready to go ahead.

I'd love to get my eyes fixed. Last time I checked it wasn't a goer though...I suffer from dry eyes which can be problematic. Also I don't think it would get me back to 20:20 vision as my prescription is pretty strong at the moment (-8.5 in one eye, -6.75 in the other). I live in hope.

i mirror what Leeds said
the dry eyes may be an issue however - consultations are free generally, so its worth a day of your life to find out IMHO

my advice would be to take the "business equation" out of the thought process.

if you are happy to do it, happy with the surgeon and surgery etc and happy to pay the price - then you ready to go ahead.

Of course, I would pay double if I felt others offered me better quality.

Back