• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Laptop Windows 7 help - Physical Memory

diego_maradona

Steffen Iversen
Staff member
One for the techies out there.

So I just noticed that even when my machine is idle, and I close all browsers, it seems as though the physical memory is running up to nearly 50%. I have 6GB of RAM, so not struggling. Any ideas? Can't remember this being normal even though I know Windows 7 tends to use a lot of RAM.

are you actually using all of the ram? for ages, mine was capped at half capacity. mine is 64 bit if it makes any difference... but i did some google searches, and turns out for some reason on my msconfig > advanced, the "max memory" box was ticked at 4gb. cleared it, and it's now reporting 8GB again. must have been like that since i had it...

Windows is designed to use as much RAM as possible (and this is a good thing)

Free memory is not worth having

The O/S will seek out and use as much memory as it can find

It will use it for cache, and if a program needs some, it will release

High memory usage is good. It means the O/S is trying its best for you

Also worth checking what antivirus you have as that could be using some

Ok so maybe I was slightly exaggerating. When it is idle, it shows Physical Memory Usage at 1.85GB

I have attached a few screenshots too:

memory.jpg

usage.jpg

processes.jpg

Thanks. Just thought I'd check. Just got all paranoid for a bit thinking the fan seems louder and memory usage seems more.

Yea Scara's bonus came at a good time to be honest. Needed the machine for After Effects and Flash so needed a bit of power

I just upgraded my fans in mine to these.

Coolink SWiF2-121

cl-swif2-120.jpg

I found that these were a good ratio between airflow and noise levels

This site is great to check out what you have and what you could have, changing it made me realise how blocked my radiator was between the two fans on my cooling system.

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/120mmfans

It seems that my motherboard has only got 3pin inputs so was unable to get the 4pin which means you can buy the fans that alternate speeds depending on the temps, in other words they run at different speeds instead of the constant one speed.

You probably already know all this, but still thought I'd share.

I just upgraded my fans in mine to these.

Coolink SWiF2-121

View attachment 176

I found that these were a good ratio between airflow and noise levels

This site is great to check out what you have and what you could have, changing it made me realise how blocked my radiator was between the two fans on my cooling system.

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/120mmfans

It seems that my motherboard has only got 3pin inputs so was unable to get the 4pin which means you can buy the fans that alternate speeds depending on the temps, in other words they run at different speeds instead of the constant one speed.

You probably already know all this, but still thought I'd share.

No I didnt know this stuff, so thanks. I got a laptop though not a desktop. but good to know.

Arc, thinking im gonna make that jump to Mac soon. The bastards. Thinking of shelling out on a macbook pro, although I really want an 27" Imac too! Need to be portable though as I often have to work client side. Might not be for a few months yet though.

By any chance, is your laptop an HP?
If not, can we get some of your machine's basic specs?

My laptop used to always have the fan on full speed when plugged in. Thing would literally burn a hole in my lap if I rested it on me.

Its a VAIO Think it was an F series.

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
RAM: 6GB
System Type: 64-bit OS

Windows 7

Got an F series Vaio too - lovely machine barring the bodywork (well the power barrel to be precise) - although they fixed this issue in latter models.

I thought W7 was meant to be less hungry (compared to Vista)? Since I bought W7 64 bit, it's a much nice machine.

Got an F series Vaio too - lovely machine barring the bodywork (well the power barrel to be precise) - although they fixed this issue in latter models.

We also have one - FW, iirc. The barrell is also damaged and loose at the moment. How did you fix yours, mate?

Yep FW11E

Well I've had two issues. First was the DC Port (power port) snapped off inside the barrel so the jack wouldn't sit. Ordered a new one from ebay, quite a straightforward operation in changing (all bar a few screws are the same). The second problem was the barrel itself (again the DC Port) snapped inside the machine and was loose. Had to open up the machine and locate the bracket that held it to the frame. Simply used superglue and held firm for a while whilst it bonded. Happened again unfortunately but fixed in the same way and been fine.

I might have some pics to show you what you need to change (always take some due to my poor memory) so will see if I can find. Should also have some useful links somewhere.

As mentioned I think they changed newer machines as it was a common fault.

Careful where you buy spare parts from, some companies take the tinkle.

Diego, looks like yours is the new model but your problem is the first one I encountered (the cylinder that actually hold the power jack). Easier to fix this but locating the part may be trickier. What model is it mate?

Diego, looks like yours is the new model but your problem is the first one I encountered (the cylinder that actually hold the power jack). Easier to fix this but locating the part may be trickier. What model is it mate?

VPCF12C5E if that helps?!

Cool - this is what you need:

http://www.batterysupport.com/sony-vpcf12c5e-jack-p-328329.html

Problem with the above one is you need to solder it as far as I'm aware. I took the slightly more expensive option and bought one with the lead attached so it was a simple case of plugging in.

Not 100% but this may be the one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-VAIO...Accessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item25651438c3

The part I'm not sure about is whether VPCF12 is the same as VPCF12C5E... should be though.

Just check on ebay for DC port.

Note, this is if the inner barrel (that holds the jack) is the part that has come off.

Back