• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

I'd like to see him actually improve a player whose raw. Someone like Sterling who still doesn't appear to have much a brain despite clearly having abolity. Make him into a consistent quality player would be good to see

That would be something credible.

To date he has inherited very strong squads of players and been at the richest sides so like Mou we have only seen a limited side to their management. You can't argue with the trophy haul though

there's more than one way to manage a football team, there are different skills you can use, different ways to take a club forward

every manager has players they succeed with and players they fail with

Obviously it not the same as winning as a professional but my three cup winning medals were more enjoyable to me than the 12 league winners I got. Even at park level it's a big thing.

I know where you are coming from, i was lucky enough to have won medals at both football and cricket ( league and cup) and i can honestly say i enjoyed every single minute of doing so.

Winning league titles is great but being/playing/winning a cup final with all the rest that goes with it is really special.

there's more than one way to manage a football team, there are different skills you can use, different ways to take a club forward

Your talking about managing

I was talking about coaching and developing players

Clough was a manager but not a coach (he had his mate coach). Similarly fergie said that mclaren was a top coach but clearly he is a rubbish manager

I disagree. If we pursue league titles, fall flat on our bottoms and end up empty-handed with naught but 3rd/4th places and runners-up finishes to show for it, it will have been the greatest waste of potential in this club's history. Winning cups will mitigate that possibility, and show players that we can give them medals too - for many players, that will be a step up from *no medals*, which is our present state. The league title can come later. Winning things *now* to forestall being pressed for moves by players using the 'I want to win things' excuse (as Walker has just done in his first City interview) is, imo, more important.
So basically our last 2 title bashes in the last 2 seasons were misguided?
If Poch had won that league cup final v chelsea, walker could well still be here?

Walker in 'I want to win things with City' interview shocker.

I hope if we sign you, your interview would be ' I'm really hoping we don't go for the league, but what would make me happy is a efl cup or fa cup winners medal so when a world record bid and a 220,000 + wages offer comes in I can hold that medal up and say, no chance'

The top 6 are pretty much all in with a shout of any of the trophies on offer. Wages is our only sticking point at the mo......everything else we can offer is as good or better.

Absolutely, everyone treats Poch like a GHod on here but would he be as good with a blank cheque book? I'm not so sure. His methods are better suited to young impressionable players, managing a few superstars could really cause him problems....

So basically our last 2 title bashes in the last 2 seasons were misguided?
If Poch had won that league cup final v chelsea, walker could well still be here?

Walker in 'I want to win things with City' interview shocker.

I hope if we sign you, your interview would be ' I'm really hoping we don't go for the league, but what would make me happy is a efl cup or fa cup winners medal so when a world record bid and a 220,000 + wages offer comes in I can hold that medal up and say, no chance'
Its a slant on any professional athlete to suggest winning things isn't important to them. At City he is more likely to achieve that whether we like it or not. I'm sure I'll get told I'm talking nonsense but if I had to put on a bet about who was more likely to win trophies I'd pick City ahead of Spurs for both PL and FA cup....

Its a slant on any professional athlete to suggest winning things isn't important to them. At City he is more likely to achieve that whether we like it or not. I'm sure I'll get told I'm talking nonsense but if I had to put on a bet about who was more likely to win trophies I'd pick City ahead of Spurs for both PL and FA cup....

They are but that's because they can pay the money to attract players away from clubs like us - if money was taken out of the equation then I'd say on paper our set of players are as good if not better than what City have (as of last season) and so we had as much chance of winning things over the next few years as City do - so why would you jump ship from a team as good as ours were it not for the pay rise?

It's like a catch 22 - our team was/is good enough to be involved in title races and challenge for honors but will the players stay together long enough to see that through if others can pay them more? If it was purely about trophies then they'd stay here and win them with us because this set of players is capable of doing that

They are but that's because they can pay the money to attract players away from clubs like us - if money was taken out of the equation then I'd say on paper our set of players are as good if not better than what City have (as of last season) and so we had as much chance of winning things over the next few years as City do - so why would you jump ship from a team as good as ours were it not for the pay rise?
Money is a massive part of football though. The big spenders tend to win the most prizes. They leave for both, the money and success. At Spurs you definitely don't get the money, and you're not even sure if going to win any trophies. At City you're getting a massive pay hike, and pretty much guaranteed a trophy every 2-3 years I'd say....

Money is a massive part of football though. The big spenders tend to win the most prizes. They leave for both, the money and success. At Spurs you definitely don't get the money, and you're not even sure if going to win any trophies. At City you're getting a massive pay hike, and pretty much guaranteed a trophy every 2-3 years I'd say....

See me edited post above mate - you're saying professional athletes want to win trophies, which of course is true but we have a team capable of winning trophies over the next few years but that isnt enough to keep them here if they can earn more money elsewhere...

Hopefully the contract situation for the majority of them means we can keep them together till a time when we have a revenue high enough to close the wage gap sufficiently

See me edited post above mate - you're saying professional athletes want to win trophies, which of course is true but we have a team capable of winning trophies over the next few years but that isnt enough to keep them here if they can earn more money elsewhere...

Hopefully the contract situation for the majority of them means we can keep them together till a time when we have a revenue high enough to close the wage gap sufficiently
Yeah I agree, CAPABLE of winning trophies but we have nothing to back that up with right now. Poch has won nothing, we are classic nearly men and players have a short career. Walker is in his prime and can't afford to gamble with our potential vs City who are virtually guaranteed at least a couple of trophies during his next few years here. We really do need to win something if not this season then next, otherwise I fear for Dele and Kane leaving....

Yeah I agree, CAPABLE of winning trophies but we have nothing to back that up with right now. Poch has won nothing, we are classic nearly men and players have a short career. Walker is in his prime and can't afford to gamble with our potential vs City who are virtually guaranteed at least a couple of trophies during his next few years here. We really do need to win something if not this season then next, otherwise I fear for Dele and Kane leaving....

On paper we're as likely to win trophies as City are though if you go by the current teams and their respective set ups - It's the money which means they are more likely to improve in the future because players will leave better teams to play for them - as I said catch 22

Good article here about why we are in a very different situation now compared to the days when we were selling Bale, Modric, Berba etc. Not specifically about Walker, so might be better posted in another thread, but obviously it's the Walker sale that's behind the article.

A few extracts :

there's a difference where buying from Tottenham is concerned, and that comes down to coaching. In the past, when big players have forced their way out of north London, it's been because their talent has hit a ceiling within Spurs naturally, and the time has come for them to test themselves on a bigger stage. The likes of Dimitar Berbatov, Luka Modric and Gareth Bale would've been transformative talents no matter the shirt they were wearing, but that simply isn't the case any longer.

Currently, this Spurs team are successful because of the singular vision they've bought in to under Mauricio Pochettino, and it's unclear for some of them if they'd have been anywhere near as successful had he not been the one to oversee their development
Kyle Walker, for example, is the best right full-back in the league at present, but Guardiola will need to spend time training the Pochettino out of him before he can expect his own methods to fully sink in.

Pochettino has created a squad that are high maintenance in all the right ways, but that would make them extremely difficult for other coaches to get any joy from right away.

Previously, leaving Tottenham for a so-called bigger club was a no-brainer. More money, better football, a more high profile coach, increased quality of competition and more talent in the team surrounding you - these days, the only thing you're guaranteed when leaving is more money. That will, in time, be addressed, but Rome wasn't built in a day. If anything, Tottenham are being punished for being ahead of schedule and overachieving, but so long as players value sporting achievement as much as they do money - which, for the most part, the majority of this current squad appear to - the club will survive, and continue to make sustained advances both on and off the field.

More here (or in a nutshell, there's no reason to leave Tottenham now apart from wages).

http://bet.unibet.co.uk/football/pr...rs-leave-tottenham-guarantees-better-football

On paper we're as likely to win trophies as City are though if you go by the current teams and their respective set ups - It's the money which means they are more likely to improve in the future because players will leave better teams to play for them - as I said catch 22
Just can't agree that we're as likely to win things on paper. Their attack is ridiculous, their only weak point was their defence and they are about to massively strengthen that department with two top full backs. They will likely get a top CB and even if they don't they will have Kompany back and I think Stones will be a lot stronger this season. Their manager has pedigree, last season was a big learning curve for him but he is an intelligent coach and it takes a while for his style to be implemented properly. We are playing at Wembley which will most likely hamper us, if we get top 4 this season we've done well.....

Just can't agree that we're as likely to win things on paper. Their attack is ridiculous, their only weak point was their defence and they are about to massively strengthen that department with two top full backs. They will likely get a top CB and even if they don't they will have Kompany back and I think Stones will be a lot stronger this season. Their manager has pedigree, last season was a big learning curve for him but he is an intelligent coach and it takes a while for his style to be implemented properly. We are playing at Wembley which will most likely hamper us, if we get top 4 this season we've done well.....

Well in reakity we aren't as likely to but that is because of the money - which is the point I'm trying to hammer home. Two seasons running we have been much the better side than them and there would be no reason to expect that to change were the teams invested in equally over the coming years - but because players put money above all else then the talent will gravitate towards City and potentially away from us.

Absolutely, everyone treats Poch like a GHod on here but would he be as good with a blank cheque book? I'm not so sure. His methods are better suited to young impressionable players, managing a few superstars could really cause him problems....

Do you really think if Poch had had the resources to say add a fit Gareth Bale to our team last season that we would not have been capable of winning the league?

Bearing in mind he has never managed a big club with unlimited spending power I think your comments are nothing but a speculative dig on Poch without any foundation in reality.

Well in reakity we aren't as likely to but that is because of the money - which is the point I'm trying to hammer home. Two seasons running we have been much the better side than them and there would be no reason to expect that to change were the teams invested in equally over the coming years - but because players put money above all else then the talent will gravitate towards City and potentially away from us.
It's just too easy to say players just go there for the money, or anywhere for that matter. As I already said the biggest and most successful clubs pay the biggest wages. Players would pick City ahead of us not just because of the money. You ask a foreign player who's the more successful club - they'd say City. They've consistently been in CL in recent years, won the FA Cup in recent years, have top European players in their team vs us who have won nothing in recent years and don't have renowned players. It's a bit fanciful to suggest City could only attract players ahead of us because of money, although yes obviously that helps....

Back