• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

If he was to go, I would be tempted to go into next season with Trips and KWP and see what they can do. If we bring in another right back then Walker-Peters is going to find it difficult to get first team chances.

Or, alternately, bring in another RB, and then move Trippier on in 2018 so the two RBs become the new guy + KWP as backup.

If Walker goes, it's a year too soon for KWP, imo. He hasn't really had a chance to integrate into the first-team squad yet (although, iirc, he did go to that training camp in Barcelona with the rest of the first-team lads back in Jan/Feb).

The other thing I posted about and got ripped for is having a look at Kieran Gibbs. Sorry I don't have time to sit here and go on long scribbly jaunts due to work, so I squeezed two points into one paragraph without properly separating them.

I'd pursue Gibbs because I think he has the brains to play for Poch and clearly has tremendous athletic ability. Given those attributes, he's also shown himself to be versatile enough to play midfield. Maybe not as a one-for-one, like-for-like Walker replacement, but as someone who can operate in a variety of roles and would be instantly grounded in the PL. If he were to be stationed on the right, he'd give us a different set of tactical options the way Lamela or Townsend did by cutting in off their wrong wing. And I say this having no faith that we're going to see Lamela back.

His contract is up in 2018 so he won't command a huge fee. He's a local lad with various rumours about him wanting away. With us having CL to offer plus a bright young squad and manager to join, we'd be a good option for him. A bar-goon, if you will.

Indeed. Not a single quote from the player or the club.

Slow news day at the office. Would not surprise me if the author was a Chelsea fan starting to panic and thought he would make up some sh#t

Jack Pitt-Brooke? I think he's a City fan, iirc. But he's also the same author who wrote a couple of articles a while back pouring cold water on the Toby rumors, so I don't think he's been consistently negative in his coverage of us.

Plus, the story has a few hallmarks of an agent circulating Walker's availability. 'He has decided his future lies elsewhere' is a fairly definitive statement, and not one usually used in more speculative pieces. Also easily refuted, if Walker chooses to do so. So I think there's a bit of fire behind this smoke, if nothing else.

Monday Night Club on Radio 5 running a discussion piece on Walker leaving.

The silly season has started early this year.

If Spurs were to sell Walker because he is allegedly unsettled then we risk sliding down a slippery slope. What happens if next season we start reading that Dele, Dier or Rose are unsettled, do we sell them too? Because if an agent or a club succeeds in unsettling Walker and we sell him then various agents and clubs will have a plan of attack. We will leave ourselves open to subversive tactics and it will weaken us when we should be operating with strength. If we want to attract quality we need to keep our best players

I'd pursue Gibbs because I think he has the brains to play for Poch and clearly has tremendous athletic ability. Given those attributes, he's also shown himself to be versatile enough to play midfield. Maybe not as a one-for-one, like-for-like Walker replacement, but as someone who can operate in a variety of roles and would be instantly grounded in the PL. If he were to be stationed on the right, he'd give us a different set of tactical options the way Lamela or Townsend did by cutting in off their wrong wing. And I say this having no faith that we're going to see Lamela back.

His contract is up in 2018 so he won't command a huge fee. He's a local lad with various rumours about him wanting away. With us having CL to offer plus a bright young squad and manager to join, we'd be a good option for him. A bar-goon, if you will.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

If Spurs were to sell Walker because he is allegedly unsettled then we risk sliding down a slippery slope. What happens if next season we start reading that Dele, Dier or Rose are unsettled, do we sell them too? Because if an agent or a club succeeds in unsettling Walker and we sell him then various agents and clubs will have a plan of attack. We will leave ourselves open to subversive tactics and it will weaken us when we should be operating with strength. If we want to attract quality we need to keep our best players

What if it is the other way around and Poch is leaving him out because he does not think Walker is focused?

If Walker goes, it's a year too soon for KWP, imo. He hasn't really had a chance to integrate into the first-team squad yet (although, iirc, he did go to that training camp in Barcelona with the rest of the first-team lads back in Jan/Feb).

He's full-time with the 1st team now, since around the time of the trip you mentioned. He hasn't played U23s for the past few months.

I'm with Milo on this. If Walker is going, I'd give the chance to KWP. He's supposedly highly rated, supposedly consistently too good for the youth games (like Onamah) and if we don't give him a chance to step up, we aren't doing what we claim we do if he's genuinely earnt it.

Our strategy as a club has to be based around the idea that hard work, focus and a belief in the team is what is required. Trippier getting these opportunities if Walker has lost focus sends the signal to every player that if you work hard, if you take your chances and you demonstrate continued improvement, it doesn't matter that the player in front of you is first choice for his country or even in the PFA team of the year. If he loses belief and focus in what we are doing, then he's gone.

Similarly, our strategy for youth also has to be about giving good youngsters the chance if a space opens up. We went into this season with Winks as first cover for Dembele and that hasn't turned out too badly. If we want to attract the best youngsters ahead of or rivals, which we need to do because we can't afford to compete with them financially, then we need to do this. It's the right strategic decision, if for example KWP has proven he is ready to Poch in training. If he's been playing in the systems in the youth teams anyway and been playing under Poch in training on a daily basis, he deserves the chance and he'll probably do well with it.

Overall, if all this Walker stuff is true, it sends a great signal that we trust Trippier because he has worked hard, stepped up and taken every opportunity he was given, and it sends a great signal to our academy. It may make people nervous, but it's the right strategic decision IMO and reinforces everything that got us to this point.

According to 5Live - who were quoting an article in The Independent - Walker has an issue with Poch who doesn't believe he can play two big games in a week.

It filled in a good 10 minutes of airtime for them before the Liverpool game.

I'm with Milo on this. If Walker is going, I'd give the chance to KWP. He's supposedly highly rated, supposedly consistently too good for the youth games (like Onamah) and if we don't give him a chance to step up, we aren't doing what we claim we do if he's genuinely earnt it.

Our strategy as a club has to be based around the idea that hard work, focus and a belief in the team is what is required. Trippier getting these opportunities if Walker has lost focus sends the signal to every player that if you work hard, if you take your chances and you demonstrate continued improvement, it doesn't matter that the player in front of you is first choice for his country or even in the PFA team of the year. If he loses belief and focus in what we are doing, then he's gone.

Similarly, our strategy for youth also has to be about giving good youngsters the chance if a space opens up. We went into this season with Winks as first cover for Dembele and that hasn't turned out too badly. If we want to attract the best youngsters ahead of or rivals, which we need to do because we can't afford to compete with them financially, then we need to do this. It's the right strategic decision, if for example KWP has proven he is ready to Poch in training. If he's been playing in the systems in the youth teams anyway and been playing under Poch in training on a daily basis, he deserves the chance and he'll probably do well with it.

Overall, if all this Walker stuff is true, it sends a great signal that we trust Trippier because he has worked hard, stepped up and taken every opportunity he was given, and it sends a great signal to our academy. It may make people nervous, but it's the right strategic decision IMO and reinforces everything that got us to this point.

agree with the main thrust of this post but i am of the opinion that it should be taken on a situation by situation basis, depending on the progress of the players in waiting and their potential to perform on a regular basis - we should evaluate all options, including the transfer market before making the call (not just assume the players will step up) for example, take central midfield and Harry Winks/Josh Onomah - we've seen a fair bit of both and both were highly rated coming from the academy, but really most of us would only be comfortable with Winks being a regular in the first team squad, Onomah is a year or two away from that - if our young players at RB are as ready as Onomah rather than Winks then it'd be a tough call to go in to the season relying on them (in the way we rely on Winks)

agree with the main thrust of this post but i am of the opinion that it should be taken on a situation by situation basis, depending on the progress of the players in waiting and their potential to perform on a regular basis - we should evaluate all options, including the transfer market before making the call (not just assume the players will step up) for example, take central midfield and Harry Winks/Josh Onomah - we've seen a fair bit of both and both were highly rated coming from the academy, but really most of us would only be comfortable with Winks being a regular in the squad, Onomah is a year or two away - if our young players at RB are as ready as Onomah rather than Winks then it'd be a tough call to go in to the season relying on them (in the way we rely on Winks)

Agreed - the key has to be whether the young players have proven they are ready. If not, we should buy.

Off topic but I like Onamah. He's never got a run in the first team in his best position and always has to play as one of the 3 in behind the striker. He's similar to Dembele and like the Mousse, he doesn't look as good when that bit more further forward. He's competing directly with Winks but I think he has the talent.

Some might say he likes Oasis but if he leaves I wont look back in anger.

you gotta roll with it, no player can stay young and live forever, d'you know what I mean?

we'd rather that they don't go away, but the offer of playing all around the world and having the fame must make some think it's gettin better man

he's a force of nature, but little by little we've lost key players before and still improved, we could easily replace him with a better man, he's just getting older and younger players are surely all part of the masterplan

whatever, we soldier on

you gotta roll with it, no player can stay young and live forever, d'you know what I mean?

we'd rather that they don't go away, but the offer of playing all around the world and having the fame must make some think it's gettin better man

he's a force of nature, but little by little we've lost key players before and still improved, we could easily replace him with a better man, he's just getting older and younger players are surely all part of the masterplan

whatever, we soldier on
That went by in a Blur.

If he has his head turned by the possibility of 150k a week, at the age of 27, closer to his home town - then it makes sense for him to want to go to one of the Manchester clubs.

Back