• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Naughton ***official sold to Swansea***

Re: Kyle Naughton

That's the spirit, get behind one of our young players after we win with him in the side...

My point is I dont think he has a future at LB, I realise he is out of position so saying he wasn't good enough on the day is fair comment IMO. And yes Vertonghen can play there and would probably be a better option but then (as someone already mentioned) we have to face the reality of Gallas and Dawson in the middle.

And I'm not knocking Naughton he just aint a good option at left back.

We can agree that his positioning was a little off at times and therefore he had to make a couple of free kicks, but it's IMO opinion still better that he made those free kicks (and didn't get booked). He's definately not at BAE's level at the moment, but I think a season of filling in at left back would improve his ability to play there. Even though it's on a completely different level, I know from my own experience how hard it is to adjust from being a right back to play left back as a natural right footer. I definately think it's way too soon to write him off.

One thing that amazed me about Naughton, was his passing. I think he made 3 or 4 excellent forward passes that helped create some chances (including the diagonal which Defoe controlled with a world class first touch).

Looking forward to hopefully watch him again against Lazio.

We can agree that his positioning was a little off at times and therefore he had to make a couple of free kicks, but it's IMO opinion still better that he made those free kicks (and didn't get booked). He's definately not at BAE's level at the moment, but I think a season of filling in at left back would improve his ability to play there. Even though it's on a completely different level, I know from my own experience how hard it is to adjust from being a right back to play left back as a natural right footer. I definately think it's way too soon to write him off.

One thing that amazed me about Naughton, was his passing. I think he made 3 or 4 excellent forward passes that helped create some chances (including the diagonal which Defoe controlled with a world class first touch).

I think that is a fair assessment (and good 1st post). While he might not displace either Benny or Walker he is better cover than Rose, whose form has nosedived of late I think.

His passing and close control is good, much better than Walker although not quite at Benny's level (yet).

It was his first game and we don't know how long before the match they knew he was going to play, Ekotto's injury wasn't made public until after the game at least. Premier League debut for us and away from home.

I thought all in all he did alright. Glad he's here and for now I think he should keep the left back spot so that we can keep Vertonghen in the centre.

I'd rather Naughton establish himself at RB or RM. I'm not a massive fan of fullbacks playing on the wrong side, its easier to defend from the left if you are left footed.

based on the reading performance, i'd like to see him run at and take on defenders a bit more, rather than just dwell on the ball and hoof it.

he had several chances to really attack down the left when bale had gone walkabout centrally, but he seemed almost scared to go for a dashing run.

if i remember correctly, whilst at sheffield, he and walker looked as dangerously quick as each other?

Thought he had a relatively poor game. Silly free kicks and caught out of position a couple of times. But he's young and was obviously playing out of position.

Thought he had a relatively poor game. Silly free kicks and caught out of position a couple of times. But he's young and was obviously playing out of position.

First game at LB in this system, give the boy a break, I watched him play several times at LB for Norwich last year and he did well there. But this system is different, with no winger directly in front it makes the fullback a lot more vulnerable. Walker got caught out as well on Sunday by a simple ball played in behind him.

based on the reading performance, i'd like to see him run at and take on defenders a bit more, rather than just dwell on the ball and hoof it.

he had several chances to really attack down the left when bale had gone walkabout centrally, but he seemed almost scared to go for a dashing run.

if i remember correctly, whilst at sheffield, he and walker looked as dangerously quick as each other?

Really harsh to say that he was dwelling on the ball and hoofing it. Whoscored (http://www.whoscored.com/Players/34131/) have him at 81% pass completion over 55 passes in that game.

I wouldn't be surprised if he held back a bit when it came to forward runs, generally a good idea in the first game rather than going to gung-ho.

Im hearing that Naughton has a suspected broken leg. From the challenge that saw him go off literally with seconds to go....

Really hope its not true.

Last edited:

Left WHL on crutches with a protective boot on it seems

Guess we will se Vertonghen at LB for some games now

First game at LB in this system, give the boy a break, I watched him play several times at LB for Norwich last year and he did well there. But this system is different, with no winger directly in front it makes the fullback a lot more vulnerable. Walker got caught out as well on Sunday by a simple ball played in behind him.

This is a thread about Naughton, not Walker. On his performance, my opinion was that he had a poor game.

Thought Naughton played well yesterday and looks to have the confidence to run forward with the ball which is more than I would say for Walker. I'm staggered at how poor he is going forward these days, I'd love to see Naughton given a run at RB to show what he can do in his favoured position but I just can't picture Walker getting dropped....

Back