• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

King, Modric and Bale

should have been challenging for the title but we ended up missing out on Champions League.

finishing above Chelsea that season is akin to finishing above United this year - looks good on paper but considering how poor they are doesn't really mean anthing.

oh imagine if Defoe had scored in the 90th minute at the Etihad, or if Ekotto just let it run out for a throw in.. or King wasn't stupid!

Just look at the players we had at our disposal. Bale, VdV, Modric, King, Adebayor, Kaboul, Gallas, Lennon... Some really good players. We should have at least got third, given the way we ended our season. But I take your point re. Chelsea who horrendously under achieved in the league that year.

I see what you mean but I would counter by saying look at the players they had. No arguement that we should have finished above Arsenal though.

I asked the question in another thread last week but do you think Harry's team (in the first half of that season) would have beaten this Liverpool side with both playing at their best?

should have been challenging for the title but we ended up missing out on Champions League.

finishing above Chelsea that season is akin to finishing above United this year - looks good on paper but considering how poor they are doesn't mean a thing.

That's going a bit far. United have maybe 1 world class player and bunch of old, washed up average players that only won so many trophies because of Fergie. Chelsea had more world class players and match winners than we did, exhibit A Didier Drogba perhaps the biggest of big game players in PL history. They underachieved massively in the league and should have challenging for the title above us so we did really well to finish above them.

I realise I've just slated United, but it would still be a big achievement to finish above them this season no matter who our manager is.

I asked the question in another thread last week but do you think Harry's team (in the first half of that season) would have beaten this Liverpool side with both playing at their best?

Tough one, we had the better all round team but they have Suarez who trumps anyone we had at the time. Would have been close.

the point was more that due to the way they played throughout the season (badly) finishing above them was no real achievement by itself. you can list all their world class players it doesn't change anything - just highlights just how badly they performed.

I think you're either overrating us or underrating them. If this season's Chelsea side we currently 6th and playing badly, I would still see it as a big achievement finishing above them given they have a better squad. Doesn't matter how badly Chelsea played, to blow off the fact that we finished above them does Spurs a disservice IMO, we still had to finish above them.

i think you seem to be ignoring the fact they were crap that year.

AVB got sacked because of his performance as manager and his replaced had an even worse record than him in the league. they weren't ever in the running for the top 4 all season and had no baring on whether we had a good year or not.

anyway mate i think we both know where each other stands on this subject :lol:

I'm not ignoring it, but I still believe we did really well to finish above them. It's only because the season ended on such a sour note that has changed the way people look back at it. I don't think any Spurs would have predicted we would finish above them at the start of the season. Let's not forget we finished in the top 4, I know it's nigh on impossible to separate that from the fact that we missed out on CL football but you couldn't name a side that had such an unbelievable run of luck to win the damn thing as Chelsea did. It's not like we finished 6th or even 5th, we achieved our goal it's just unfortunate that we missed out in such cruel circumstances.

i don't think anyone quite knew just how good of a team we had built back in the summer of '11, hence the lower expectations - it quickly became apparent just how good the team was though once we were a few games in.

i think it's a way of getting out of facing up to what we threw away to be honest - by the time we played Arsenal away, we were well in amongst City and United, we had a decent run of fixtures left to see out the season - it's not like we had all our toughest games in the final 3rd and were simply found out - at least that would have had some logic to it, no we had done most the hard work, played brilliantly throughout (up to that point) and had no reason to not finish the season closer to 1st, points wise than 4th.

i don't think anyone quite knew just how good of a team we had built back in the summer of '11, hence the lower expectations - it quickly became apparent just how good the team was though once we were a few games in.

i think it's a way of getting out of facing up to what we threw away to be honest - by the time we played Arsenal away, we were well in amongst City and United, we had a decent run of fixtures left to see out the season - it's not like we had all our toughest games in the final 3rd and were simply found out - at least that would have had some logic to it, no we had done most the hard work, played brilliantly throughout (up to that point) and had no reason to not finish the season closer to 1st, points wise than 4th.

I would say given how good we were, the run from February to May 2012 was one of, if not possibly the biggest choke job we've seen from a Spurs side but for me its balanced out slightly given how good we were from September-February. We all know the court case, Harry's health problems and the England job derailed us. If anything I'd say we did remarkably well to still get excellent results when Arry was ill and during his court case, it's only after that things went downhill.

No point crying over spilt milk- gitta move on peeps. We have got s better squad than we've had for years but no stand out world class players. Convinced with the right guidance this lot as a team can do good things.

---------------Lloris-------------------

Walker---Vertonghen--Chiriches--Coentrao

----------Modric----Sandro---------

Willian---------Bale---------Hazard-----

--------------Aguero------------------

Edit: Add Van Der Vaart to that as well.

Imagine if we had kept our stars and got all the ones we were linked with or bid for. I can dream, right?

Last edited:
Blimey, sorry state of affairs if we going to sit back for the next 20 years and get all giddy about those heady days when we finished fourth twice...

thats about as small time as it gets. we're not ipswich or someone of that ilk.

How did you get that from what the op said?

As good as they were, I don't believe that Bale, Modric or King were ever in the top three in their positions in the world.

Arguably Bale? Only Ronaldo and Messi better and for me the best player I've seen in a Spurs shirt since Glenn.

Last edited:
As good as they were, I don't believe that Bale, Modric or King were ever in the top three in their positions in the world.

I don't think anyone would argue that but when was the last time anyone in the premier league was? Cristiano? Henry?

Aguero, Suarez are up there in their respective positions

Bale was still very raw back then though, certainly not the star he is today. I know Hazard at the time openly said he liked our style and might think about moving to us, but then the CL qualification didn't happen. I'm still convinced he would've ended up going to Emirates Marketing Project though, they would've paid way more than us in wages. Still if we had got Aguero in in that January and then Hazard in the summer, we would've been title challengers no doubt.

Back