• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

Defensive positioning can be taught, thankfully -- right back (along with left back) is the most difficult position to play in the modern game, tactically and positionally.
Indeed, quite often watching MotD it will be the fullback that plays a striker onside to score the vital goal. The centre backs are obviously very adept at moving as a unit, but modern fullbacks can get caught out as they're haring up and down the flank trying to do the work of two men.
Last night it was Borthwick Jackson of Man Utd playing Costa onside for the last minute equaliser. The pundits ignored that and blamed Blind for diving in which is also true, but BJ should not have been so deep. Happens all the time.

Walker has always been very good one on one defensively. And he's always been rather ineffective on the ball. Him being overrated going forward and underrated defensively is not something new.

Yeah - he's basically good at running and is quite strong.

Our team is good now, but imagine how good it could be if we sorted out our right side, and replaced our two weakest players, Walker and Lamela, with better players?

Yeah - he's basically good at running and is quite strong.

Our team is good now, but imagine how good it could be if we sorted out our right side, and replaced our two weakest players, Walker and Lamela, with better players?

Walker is 25, Lamela is still 23?

One way to get a better right hand side is to persist with them and help them develop and get better in our system of play. They seem determined, hard working and have slotted in very nicely under Pochettino. No reason to think they can't get even better.

Walker for me remains defensively on of the best full backs in the league. Improving on him would take a special player imo. With him and Trippier we have a real option to vary what we get from our right back depending on the opponents too.

Who the hell would we get to replace walker???

People raved about clynne and he was regarded by some as the best in the division yet he offered very little footballing wise anywhere on the pitch IMO. He is defensively ok and generally average at everything else but people rate him higher than Kyle who offers more defensively and more attack wise as his pace pins defenders back

Indeed, quite often watching MotD it will be the fullback that plays a striker onside to score the vital goal. The centre backs are obviously very adept at moving as a unit, but modern fullbacks can get caught out as they're haring up and down the flank trying to do the work of two men.
Last night it was Borthwick Jackson of Man Utd playing Costa onside for the last minute equaliser. The pundits ignored that and blamed Blind for diving in which is also true, but BJ should not have been so deep. Happens all the time.

There also further away from the nearest player in their team so naturally out of line if the line moves

Walker is 25, Lamela is still 23?

One way to get a better right hand side is to persist with them and help them develop and get better in our system of play. They seem determined, hard working and have slotted in very nicely under Pochettino. No reason to think they can't get even better.

Walker for me remains defensively on of the best full backs in the league. Improving on him would take a special player imo. With him and Trippier we have a real option to vary what we get from our right back depending on the opponents too.

I do agree with you on the attitude, but I think it becomes easier to get players to buy into the mentality when you're doing well. Incoming players will know they will have to work hard.

Both of their attitudes are commendable, but I think we've persisted with both for long enough. I can't see Walker ever being good enough on the ball - which is even more relevant given the emphasis Poch clearly places on the full-backs. Similarly, I can't ever see Lamela offering any real goal threat, which any player in the '3' has to have, with one striker.

I've no grudge against either, just think they're the stand out poorest players.

I do agree with you on the attitude, but I think it becomes easier to get players to buy into the mentality when you're doing well. Incoming players will know they will have to work hard.

Both of their attitudes are commendable, but I think we've persisted with both for long enough. I can't see Walker ever being good enough on the ball - which is even more relevant given the emphasis Poch clearly places on the full-backs. Similarly, I can't ever see Lamela offering any real goal threat, which any player in the '3' has to have, with one striker.

I've no grudge against either, just think they're the stand out poorest players.

But walkers job first and foremost is to defend is it not?

He does well in that regard even with a brain fart a game

And whilst I agree about lamellas lack of goal threat he has scored plenty still this season and is a squad player who will play 30 plus games a season. I prefer Son but you need back up that's and a high calibre and Lamella has been first choice a lot this season ( and I was one of his biggest critIcs)

Lamela is 23... Plenty of players that have gone on to do really well in the PL, even in terms of goal scoring, that probably wouldn't have been all that good at 23. Lamela has shown both in the Serie A and in the EL that he can score goals against slightly lesser opponents. To say at this point, with him having 10-ish years left at the height of his game, that he will never manage to do that at a PL level seems ridiculous to me.

Walker has his limitations, but his strengths are immense.

I can't see how they are the stand our poorest players, when we're second in the league just to bring some perspective into this discussion. Both have the potential to be much better and are on an upward trajectory in terms of performances. Why cash in now in the hope that someone may be better.

I'm going to bring in some facts to this conversation about Lamela in partocular: http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...ed/total_shots/shot_accuracy/interceptions#90

As you can see Lamela holds his own against Ozil in a number of areas and is better in others. The one he loses by a distance is the assist column, but to say he is a poor player is OTT imho.

Whoever mentioned about Trippier's crossing wasn't half wrong. Sublime ball to the Fiorentina defender.

The improvement in his game this season has been incredible. I love seeing Poch rotate our two full back pairings.

I respectfully disagree. Walker doesnt have ball skills? Lamela not a goal threat? He offers far more than a few Tottenham wingers I have seen in the last 10 years. He hasnt reached Bale's level but to say he is not a goal threat is laughable. I hope for Spurs' sake that other teams think like that.

Would always play Trippier against teams who are harder to break down as his crossing is much better than Walker. I would play Walker in the bigger games for his experience. I still think it's an area we could upgrade on, but both have had good seasons.

Jurgen the Germathreat"t: 790058 said:
In all comps surely? IIRC Eriksen and Alli have more league goals. Probably Chadli too.

Yes all competitions. It would look like cherry picking stats to fit an argument to use any other measure.

Besides @Lugash didn't qualify his statement by specifying a competition. He just said that he could never see Lamela "offering any real goal threat" when he clearly does.

Lamela has scored nine goals this season, six of which have come in Europe.

Last edited:
Really good buy this one, a thumbs up for the black box as I'd never even noticed him at Burnley.

I get the feeling that all 4 full backs are very happy with the current situation of rotation, Poch has done a great job getting them to buy in to it. They'll all get plenty of games over the course of the season and should always be fresh, perfect!

Trippier is so much better than Walker. He can pass, cross, run, tackle. I think hes very impressive. I dont really rate Walker. He makes mistakes, cant cross the ball. Not the best defender although he has improved in that respects this season.

Rose v Davies is a close one. I used to prefer Rose but he can be a bit rash. Davies has improved a lot this season

Trippier is so much better than Walker. He can pass, cross, run, tackle. I think hes very impressive. I dont really rate Walker. He makes mistakes, cant cross the ball. Not the best defender although he has improved in that respects this season.

Rose v Davies is a close one. I used to prefer Rose but he can be a bit rash. Davies has improved a lot this season
I still think that Walker is a better defender than Trippier and by a considerable margin too. I think Walker has better positional sense defensively and is also better when stood up by a winger one on one. I agree that Trippier is the better player when attacking however. I think Pochettino is using the pair of them perfectly at the moment to take advantage of the their respective skills.

Back