• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Just to depress us a bit more...

What a truly beautiful picture.

whl-1011-01.jpg

I loved those days. It's now that we've had those moments that we really miss those moments. Our ceiling for success has been raised and so consequently we're left disappointed by finishing 6th.

The last ten years, since Santini and his 'parking the bus', we have been punching very well at the top. I think only this season we haven't beaten/made a dent v any of the top 4. But I'm sure Levy and Enic are happy with the money made from europe and especially sales of our best players since actually winning something, and getting into the CL.

Thanks for the vid though, here's hoping we see good times like those again soon.

I was in attendance at the Lane for the Arsenal game (having already been present at the 3 nil reverse against that lot at the Emirates that season). It was the very epitome of a perfect night. It was a wonderfully balmy evening, and the atmosphere was simply the best I have ever experienced. There was just something in the air that night. Danny Rose's stunner, the beginnings of Bale's meteoric rise, Gomes' heroics just as we looked like treading that familiar path of screwing it all up against that lot again and the out-pouring of good feeling as the final whistle went (I've never been hugged and high fived by so many complete strangers). And just for good measure, my Gooner brother was with me as a last minute replacement for a fellow Yid mate.

I had no work the next day either, so was able to head to Leicester Square afterwards to celebrate with a couple of Gooner mates in tow, who had come along to drown their sorrows. I even managed to snag a half-decent looking lady (a feat that I have never managed to repeat) in a classy little place called 'Soundz'. To paraphrase the inimitable Ice Cube, 'twas a good day.

Last edited:
Well more importantly, they were other part players no where as good as what we have, yet look at what that squad achieved.

No look around at all the "sell the whole squad" this summer views ... nothing wrong with our players ... lots wrong with manager/direction

But also Redknapp understood something key to team building - it isn't always the best players that make the best team.

The fractions in top-level sport are ridiculously tight and to be honest, its the tigerish will to win and street-fighter mentality that are more important than base-line ability.

We have a talented squad, but its a young and quiet squad.

Under Redknapp we had a lot of strong characters and players that weren't afraid on the ball.

Yes, he was selfish, but Defoe was single-minded and determined. Kranjcar wouldn't think twice about panicking when 3 players were closing him down, he'd just calmly look for the best passing option and play the ball. Dawson and Bassong weren't the best defenders on paper, but they just complimented each other really well, with Dawson the stopper and Bassong with his pace the sweeper. Ekotto was a big character and wonderful outlet with his passing and Corluka was a solid pro who didn't put a foot wrong and was a great foundation to let Lennon free to just constantly attack the opposition full back without having to worry about tracking back to cover Walker's 'positional sense'.

Palacios pre-brother murder was just one a one-man mission to destroy everything in the opposition midfield, Keane was a leader and big character again and Crouch was just something different for opposition defences to deal with if we needed it. Plus he worked hard and was another big character. A very funny guy if you have the opportunity to meet him.

Just think that team assembled was just so strong mentally and full of character. It wasn't the best XI individuals we've ever had, but it was the best ever TEAM.

We beat a Premiership team 9-1 that season. NINE! We scored NINE goals against another Premiership team with a full compliment of players. They didn't even go down that season. NINE goals. In ONE game. Let that sink in for a minute!

Maybe next time we won't take such accomplishments for granted? I don't think Redknapp was given enough appreciation for what he did and that goes from the chairman right down to the fans....

But also Redknapp understood something key to team building - it isn't always the best players that make the best team.

Great post: Rednapp managed to blend lots of experienced players, and got superb performances from many of them.

Great post: Rednapp managed to blend lots of experienced players, and got superb performances from many of them.

Don't be silly. Redknapp was an old, self-serving, backhand taking, saggy faced bell-end twunt.....................

Back