• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Just back from the Stadium of Light / Thoughts on the game post Sunderland

4 games into a new era at the club, am I concerned that we dropped a silly 2 points away from home? Not in the slightest.

You have to make mistakes as you learn and this is a process. I said it in the summer that the first 6 months of Pochettino is going to have ups and downs. Embrace it, stick with it and enjoy watching decent football. People say they want a manager given time but are the ones moaning about dropping points 4 games in. It is going to happen. Even Chelsea last season dropped stupid points.

TIME TIME TIME! I want pochettino given 4 years without a single question asked as long as we are playing decent attacking football along the way.

Agree with that. From what I've seen this year we look better, of course we need a consistent finisher, but who doesn't and we are at least 12th in line if not lower in the pecking order for that type of player. Sure we didn't play well against Liverpool but the last 15 minutes of the 1st half we started to play after the Chadli miss and the soft penalty we lost confidence.

i don't believe in luck but:

- a double ricochet that beat both keeper and defender on the line
- hitting the woodwork - TWICE!
- own goal

that's 4 instances that went against us. don't think we've been that "unlucky" before!

Not pleased with Saturday's result as it's two points dropped, in a game we should've long put to bed before Harry's o.g.

But the way Poch has set us up to play , very much pleases me. We looked quite scary going forward and dealt with their counters pretty good . Patience is required but I'm happy as I'm certain we will improve under Poch.

4 games into a new era at the club, am I concerned that we dropped a silly 2 points away from home? Not in the slightest.

You have to make mistakes as you learn and this is a process. I said it in the summer that the first 6 months of Pochettino is going to have ups and downs. Embrace it, stick with it and enjoy watching decent football. People say they want a manager given time but are the ones moaning about dropping points 4 games in. It is going to happen. Even Chelsea last season dropped stupid points.

TIME TIME TIME! I want pochettino given 4 years without a single question asked as long as we are playing decent attacking football along the way.

Good post

7 points from 4 games is not brilliant, but people should please remember almost every team has scope to improve at this stage:

City lost to Stoke and only have 7 points.
Liverpool looked poor against Southampton, then great against us, then lost to Villa and only have 6 points.
Arsanal only just managed to get a draw against Leicester and Everton and only have 6 points.
Man Utd couldn't beat Sunderland or Burnley, they trounced a rubbish QPR and only have 5 points.
Everton have never conceded so many goals, couldn't beat Leicester and only have 5 points.

It's all about the manner of the performance which is why it's "acceptable" but "disappointing"

Sunderland are **** and we played them off the park for about 85 minutes and they know it, we know it and the man on the moon could see it. But typically spurs we conceded two awful goals and hey oh it's an opportunity for some to find fault and some to find positives. This game had both in large quantities but it was a progressive performance even if we could see them getting that bloody equaliser

It's all about the manner of the performance which is why it's "acceptable" but "disappointing"

Sunderland are **** and we played them off the park for about 85 minutes and they know it, we know it and the man on the moon could see it. But typically spurs we conceded two awful goals and hey oh it's an opportunity for some to find fault and some to find positives. This game had both in large quantities but it was a progressive performance even if we could see them getting that bloody equaliser

Don't mean to pick on your post in particular, but I've seen so many "typical Spurs" posts since the Sunderland game.

At this point I honestly don't think there's any way we can fail to beat a smaller team without someone popping up with a "typical Spurs" comment.

Big favourites, fail to perform? - Typical Spurs.
Dominate, fail to win? - Typical Spurs.
Take the lead, but then get hit by an equalizer? - Typical Spurs.
Go behind, play poorly, then get going and get the equalizer, but fail to win? - Typical Spurs.

The thing is, it's really not though. Outplaying the opposition, but not being able to secure the win was not commonplace last season. It really hasn't been since we were last properly good under Redknapp (when you regularly outplay teams you will also more outplay teams and fail to win more times in a season). In our 6 competitive games, 4 league games, so far this season it's happened exactly that one time against Sunderland.

I thought you was talking about the Eriksen goal for a moment there. Sometimes the luck goes our way as well.

Indeed, good point.

If we put the ball across the 6 yard box at pace with players steaming in and defenders panicking = a goal as often as not.

Sometimes we talk about how to craft the perfect goal like Le Ars.e, but many goals each week are a result of getting the ball into the box hard and low, and enough players into the box, eventually it bounces right and someone slots it home.

I loved the Chadli goal because it was so easy, a fairly ordinary shot parried out, and forwards (Chadli and Eriksen) rushing in to mop up the spillage. Low, hard shots are a great way to make goals. This is why high/wide shots do my head in as they are a total waste; at least make the keeper parry it back into play.

Indeed, good point.

If we put the ball across the 6 yard box at pace with players steaming in and defenders panicking = a goal as often as not.

Sometimes we talk about how to craft the perfect goal like Le Ars.e, but many goals each week are a result of getting the ball into the box hard and low, and enough players into the box, eventually it bounces right and someone slots it home.

I loved the Chadli goal because it was so easy, a fairly ordinary shot parried out, and forwards (Chadli and Eriksen) rushing in to mop up the spillage. Low, hard shots are a great way to make goals. This is why high/wide shots do my head in as they are a total waste; at least make the keeper parry it back into play.

Like Terry's own goal v Swansea. Again, my concern is coordination in defence now, not attack, we've shown variety in scorers from open play in our games thus far.

Don't mean to pick on your post in particular, but I've seen so many "typical Spurs" posts since the Sunderland game.

At this point I honestly don't think there's any way we can fail to beat a smaller team without someone popping up with a "typical Spurs" comment.

Big favourites, fail to perform? - Typical Spurs.
Dominate, fail to win? - Typical Spurs.
Take the lead, but then get hit by an equalizer? - Typical Spurs.
Go behind, play poorly, then get going and get the equalizer, but fail to win? - Typical Spurs.

The thing is, it's really not though. Outplaying the opposition, but not being able to secure the win was not commonplace last season. It really hasn't been since we were last properly good under Redknapp (when you regularly outplay teams you will also more outplay teams and fail to win more times in a season). In our 6 competitive games, 4 league games, so far this season it's happened exactly that one time against Sunderland.

I actually me at the predictability and inevitability of it.

I watched it live in a pub and as soon as Lamella hit the bar we all commented that they will nick a goal from nowhere... And low and behold they did.

I was only saying before the game that frankly I don't care how we do against the top 4 as long as we beat the **** sides... As that would get us top 4. These drops points could be huge at the end of Tehran seasons and there points eh accent dropped for a few seasons but over the last twenty years we would always play these games and have that air of inevitability about it.

I actually me at the predictability and inevitability of it.

I watched it live in a pub and as soon as Lamella hit the bar we all commented that they will nick a goal from nowhere... And low and behold they did.

I was only saying before the game that frankly I don't care how we do against the top 4 as long as we beat the **** sides... As that would get us top 4. These drops points could be huge at the end of Tehran seasons and there points eh accent dropped for a few seasons but over the last twenty years we would always play these games and have that air of inevitability about it.

giphy.gif

=D> I was typing whilst watching the walking dead.

Damn those open in Tehran... It just autocorrected to eat brain!!! My Ipad knew I'd be having a zombie fest

A mistake caused by a zombie fest then met with a gif from Supernatural, somewhat appropriate. :D

=D> exactly what i am going to do. if spurs are cack, i'll just have a w.**.k and look forward to the next match and if they're good, i will wait and have a w.**.k after the game..win. win.

Back