• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Juande Ramos

I have many vivid memories of our CL run, perhaps more than our league cup win although recency almost certainly plays a part here.

The Bale show at the San Siro, the way we crushed Inter at home, the nerves in the qualifiers followed by the joy and release of going through, the win away to Milan, keeping that lead and going through at home, even just playing against Real Madrid.

These memories will last me a very long time. Perhaps, in total, more than a single league cup win.

The league cup run had its moments. That City game will go down s one of our best IMO, going one up, then Zokora getting a red then minutes later everyone had hearts in mouth as Steed flies two footed into Corluka. Then we spend a barrage of intense bombardment from City on our goal only for Steed who should have been shown a red earlier breakaway to give us a two goal lead and victory.

Then came the old enemy at the Emirates. We dominated the first half have many chances to take the lead and breaking from deep Jenas was on hand to open the scoring. Under constant barrage we held on until Walcott got behind and a lucky deflection loops it past Robinson, then came the second leg. An amazing start saw us take the lead after only 3 minutes through Jenas.. Keane then got onto the end of a lovely free kick from Jenas to go 2-0. Berbs then hit the post... then in the second half, after a lovely through ball by Lennon on the counter Keane poked his shot to make it 3-0. Again on the counter in one of my fav Tottenham goals we win it in defence which culminated with Keanes first time pass to Lennon who swopped it past the Arsenal keeper to make it 4-0. Not finished, Jenas ran down the right, beat the fullback and played it across goal to Steed to tap into an open goal. Yiddo rang around the ground. Adebayor did get a consolation though half way through the second half. The final score 5-1.. and without doubt one of our finest victories in recent times.

The Final. Vs the Chavskis

[video=youtube_share;0MrsQsMf_E0]http://youtu.be/0MrsQsMf_E0[/video]

The league cup run had its moments. That City game will go down s one of our best IMO, going one up, then Zokora getting a red then minutes later everyone had hearts in mouth as Steed flies two footed into Corluka. Then we spend a barrage of intense bombardment from City on our goal only for Steed who should have been shown a red earlier breakaway to give us a two goal lead and victory.

Then came the old enemy at the Emirates. We dominated the first half have many chances to take the lead and breaking from deep Jenas was on hand to open the scoring. Under constant barrage we held on until Walcott got behind and a lucky deflection loops it past Robinson, then came the second leg. An amazing start saw us take the lead after only 3 minutes through Jenas.. Keane then got onto the end of a lovely free kick from Jenas to go 2-0. Berbs then hit the post... then in the second half, after a lovely through ball by Lennon on the counter Keane poked his shot to make it 3-0. Again on the counter in one of my fav Tottenham goals we win it in defence which culminated with Keanes first time pass to Lennon who swopped it past the Arsenal keeper to make it 4-0. Not finished, Jenas ran down the right, beat the fullback and played it across goal to Steed to tap into an open goal. Yiddo rang around the ground. Adebayor did get a consolation though half way through the second half. The final score 5-1.. and without doubt one of our finest victories in recent times.

The Final. Vs the Chavskis

[video=youtube_share;0MrsQsMf_E0]http://youtu.be/0MrsQsMf_E0[/video]

Not seen that video before, fantastic memorys. Pretty decent side we had then

welled up watching that :oops:

Keano gets me every time in the highlights of that game - his run to Berbatov after the final whistle barely able to keep it together :lol:

King lifting the trophy, Berba cool as you like taking the pen, Zokora missing those chances, Tainio mugging off Drogba.

****ing fantastic

CL is key to everything and should be the priority IMO.

Only if we are good enough to win it. Don't understand why CL should be the priority if we are just going to be also-rans in it. I am always of the view that CL should only be open to the league winners and we should only play in it once we win the league. CL now is all about money and prestige and nothing more. It didn't even help us sign any "top" players when we were in CL. Remember, VDV only joined us because he wanted to leave Real and couldn't find other clubs, not because we were in CL.

Only if we are good enough to win it. Don't understand why CL should be the priority if we are just going to be also-rans in it. I am always of the view that CL should only be open to the league winners and we should only play in it once we win the league. CL now is all about money and prestige and nothing more. It didn't even help us sign any "top" players when we were in CL. Remember, VDV only joined us because he wanted to leave Real and couldn't find other clubs, not because we were in CL.

Are you saying that if we finished fourth this season, you would want us to refuse the chance to play in the Champions League?

Was such a fantastic day beating Chelsea. We were truly the best side on the day. We had the best chances, wanted it more and looked the part against a side that really was better overall. Berbatov was absolutely outstanding on the day and I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the best 2 years of his career were with us and his partnership with Keane was the best he ever had.

Watching a video like that should bring it home to people that winning trophies is what it is all about. If you were to offer me 5th again with winning the Europa League then I would take it. You cannot put a price on the memories of seeing your team win something major, especially in that scenario with the opposition being who they were

you can't build a CL winning side without being in the CL for a while first

I'd rather be an also ran in a top competition than competitor in an inferior one

Not really seen this discussed at any length on other threads; my overriding memory of Thursday's game will be the cheating and gamesmanship of the Dnipro team. The excessive timewasting, the feigning of injuries and simulation which the referee did nothing about. Ironically, the game changed when Vertonghen gave them a taste of their own medicine and Zozulya was sent off.

The last time I recall being so outraged by an opponents antics was when Sevilla played us in UEFA Cup in 2007; Dani Alves in particular was a disgrace that night despite how good he and his team were.

The constant between these both is Ramos. I know we in England tend to get a bit prissy about this sort of thing so maybe its just football, but do you remember our behaviour on the field changing during Ramos' brief reign?

He wasn't here long enough tbh.
I agree about the Ukranians, their constant time wasting and gamesmanship was an utter disgrace. However what I am concerned about is that until they went down to 10 men we didn't look like we would score.

Our behaviour has always been good, including when Ramos was in charge. But on the continent, they consider gamesmanship as part and parcel.

It's not so much just a team, but as a league you see the EPL do this more and more. That's down to there now being so many foreign players, and also being in the CL and EPL, IMO.

tactically it was the right way to play, in that situation you don't want to allow the opposition to flow, you do anything you can to stop the game at every opportunity for as long as possible, raising the frustration of the opposition makes them more likely to make rash decisions and deviate from their own game plan

i certainly wouldn't call it a foreign thing though, my old man reckons the first player he ever saw dive was Rodney Marsh

Our behaviour has always been good, including when Ramos was in charge. But on the continent, they consider gamesmanship as part and parcel.

It's not so much just a team, but as a league you see the EPL do this more and more. That's down to there now being so many foreign players, and also being in the CL and EPL, IMO.

I don't like this line of thinking, I'm not just having a go at you here, but it's a general sanctimoious English view that no one in England cheats. Plenty of British players have been diving for years:

Rodney Marsh
Linekar
Michael Owen
Ashley Young
Ashley Cole
Rooney
Gareth Bale

I take your point it's worse on the continent in the sense that teams will do almost anything to gain an advantage but I'd want a Spurs player to do with Luis Suarez did at the last World Cup if it ensured we won the game, in fact, I'm sure Paul Scholes did the same thing and there was no outrage like there was with Suarez.

Who was our manager when Zokora dived against Portsmouth? Was that Ramos? That's the most memorable Spurs dive for me.

The worst I EVER remember were Barca in the 81/82 CWC SF first leg. Disgraceful. Never seen anything like it. Today they'd have lost 4 players to reds in the first 45!!!!

The worst I EVER remember were Barca in the 81/82 CWC SF first leg. Disgraceful. Never seen anything like it. Today they'd have lost 4 players to reds in the first 45!!!!

I don't remember back then. I'm too young to remember. What made them so disgraceful?

Your Bale obsession is getting a little boring. Please stop trying to find every excuse to drag it out again.

Excuse me? This is a thread about cheating in general and how it's not common practice in this country. It's just a bit rich when we accuse scum players and other teams of being blatant cheats when we've had some ourselves.

Last edited:
Not really seen this discussed at any length on other threads; my overriding memory of Thursday's game will be the cheating and gamesmanship of the Dnipro team. The excessive timewasting, the feigning of injuries and simulation which the referee did nothing about. Ironically, the game changed when Vertonghen gave them a taste of their own medicine and Zozulya was sent off.

The last time I recall being so outraged by an opponents antics was when Sevilla played us in UEFA Cup in 2007; Dani Alves in particular was a disgrace that night despite how good he and his team were.

The constant between these both is Ramos. I know we in England tend to get a bit prissy about this sort of thing so maybe its just football, but do you remember our behaviour on the field changing during Ramos' brief reign?

Mourinho's teams are the worst.

Excuse me? This is a thread about cheating in general and how it's not common practice in this country. It's just a bit rich when we accuse scum players and other teams of being blatant cheats when we've had some ourselves.

I know that he dived a few times but I also think that he was wrongly penalised too many other times. V Sunderland TWICE in the same season, he was denied stone wall penalties!

Back