• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Our squad is fine in midfield and attack save for one or two small tweaks, but in defence we need a big makeover. Regardless of who the manager is, our problems will persist if we don’t rectify this area more than any other....

That is what I had in mind too. At least one first choice CB and RB. Possibly back ups for those positions too and a goalkeeper who can put pressure on Lloris with an eye to succeeding him.

2 things needed to be misjudged in order to arrive at the conclusion that appointing him was the right move

The squad/team was better than it was

The manager was still at the top of his game

All reasonable evidence at that time showed neither of the above was true. An argument could be made that if the squad was still it's 16/17 level and if Mourinho was still at his pre Chelsea mk 2 level then it could have worked out, it could have been the final push needed that an experienced winner could provide. But the squad was in a mess and the manager long past his sell by date - no one not wewring blinkers could have thought otherwise.
That depends a little at which time Mourinho was contacted. If you contact him after the plug has been pulled, it would be more understandable than if you decide to swap Poch for Mourinho. Can't remember. Anyway, it was pretty obvious that the squad had issues, which I guess Poch failed miserably to solve (probably by playing favourite i'd reckon) and that ultimately became his downfall. At that point, improving our squad was second to improving OUR squad, as I see it. I'd be happy even not to improve as long as we could have gotten back to and maintained our previous level. 2nd to 4th in the league with the occational semi-serious challenge and attractive football is more than enough for me, and so should it be for Levy. If that is the case, it would be downright foolish to appoint Jose, a manager known for his fallouts AND airing his dirty laundry in the media. I don't care how well deserved it is, any good leader knows you keep your fecking skeletons in the closet, or rather dressing room/office. Regardless of which party "wins", the real winner is the media and the real loser is the club. A club I doubt Mourinho really gives an f about. Quite possibly Levy saw an opportunity for gold in Jose, but boy is that buying a car before measuring the garage.

a cup final and 7 mini cup finals. Never thought I'd say it and I know others have suggested him as well, but get shot of Jose and bring in ball-bag face.
I fancy their chances with freedom and run around a bit more so than trying and failing to defend against City.
Just till the end of the season

Thats easy to say in hindsight, it wasn't that long before that he won two trophies with United and got them to second place in the PL, their best finish since Sir Alex retired.
One that the managerial behemoth Ole Gunnar Solksjaer looks like he may well match this season.

Considering a Euro bowl win and 2nd place for Man Utd as being a good achievement is like counting a 7th place finish for Spurs as a good achievement.

Last edited:
a cup final and 7 mini cup finals. Never thought I'd say it and I know others have suggested him as well, but get shot of Jose and bring in ball-bag face.
I fancy their chances with freedom and run around a bit more so than trying and failing to defend against City.
Just till the end of the season

Dyche?

That is what I had in mind too. At least one first choice CB and RB. Possibly back ups for those positions too and a goalkeeper who can put pressure on Lloris with an eye to succeeding him.
It has to be two centre backs... not one TWO. Two of Toby, Rodon, Sanchez and Dier can stay as backups. Our entire transfer budget (whatever is left after sacking Jose) has to be spent on centre backs this summer, maybe we can even somehow find a decent one to bring in on loan like Fulham did with Anderson.

Once we got the 2 new centre backs in then we can do whatever window dressing we want/can in terms of other reinforcements (personally I think next biggest need is another proper central midfield player but everything pales into insignificance compared to needing two proper centrebacks.

With every passing week it suggests to me more and more that Levy has dropped a bo11ock in Jose's contract and the pay off is huge.

We'll just pay him until he gets another job. I am sure that the reason he is still around is because there aren't any obvious caretakers.

I think Levy is still clinging onto his infatuation with Mourinho. And Mourinho has a level of intelligence. He is more aware, sharper than Poch say, but he lacks bravery and man to man coaching skills of say Poch. We were top of the league, but we spiralled since. There wasn't anything more. I thought Mourinho was putting in place a defensive foundation, but he'd coach us to be better in possession after putting in that foundation. The problem is there is no solid defensive foundation and we're not improving. We're neither successful defensively or particularly offensive. We don't have an identity.

I can handle Mourinho being a defensive first coach, but you need buy-in from the team and you need results. We concede 2 goals a game regularly. This completely undermines Mourinho. His whole modus operandi is blown and he can't seem to fix it. He's fallen into the same trap Poch did of constantly changing the back 4, which only further undermines the shakey defence.

My point was that everything about the last year has been abnormal in football terms. It’s difficult to therefore make a judgement on a manager who arrived just before the pandemic broke.
Fair enough but he has had ample time now to coach this bunch and they appear as though they are looking less and less coached each week.

With every passing week it suggests to me more and more that Levy has dropped a bo11ock in Jose's contract and the pay off is huge.

I think Levy is just waiting til the cup final and mathematical impossibility of top 4.

If he was going to change him before then, he would have done so in Feb or after the Europa fiasco. I don't see him suddenly changing manager now

Its so glaringly obvious to most people, whether Spurs fans, media or whoever, that Jose is a dead man walking though. Its just a matter of time

The players are human and they must see it too, which cant help performances either

I think Levy is just waiting til the cup final and mathematical impossibility of top 4.
You would think, or rather hope that there is some kind of clause in place regarding performance. Is it really possible to have a contract where a manager can bank 15M a year without any obligation to deliver some kind of anything? And with full payment for the entire contract duration bar relegation, or maybe not even that? I'm hoping that this is the case, and that you may be on to something here. If we lose both the better-than-nothing cup and top 4, he's gone. I refuse to believe otherwise.

You would think, or rather hope that there is some kind of clause in place regarding performance. Is it really possible to have a contract where a manager can bank 15M a year without any obligation to deliver some kind of anything? And with full payment for the entire contract duration bar relegation, or maybe not even that? I'm hoping that this is the case, and that you may be on to something here. If we lose both the better-than-nothing cup and top 4, he's gone. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Rumours are the payout would be significantly less should we miss out on CL/EL/LC etc but that only comes in to play at the end of the season (or when mathematically impossible)

Rumours are the payout would be significantly less should we miss out on CL/EL/LC etc but that only comes in to play at the end of the season (or when mathematically impossible)
Fingers crossed.

Edit: that the rumours are true. Not that we miss out on top 4/LC.

Back