• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Thats easy to say in hindsight, it wasn't that long before that he won two trophies with United and got them to second place in the PL, their best finish since Sir Alex retired.

So why has he looked like a duck out of water after his early bounce in the job?

[
Thats easy to say in hindsight, it wasn't that long before that he won two trophies with United and got them to second place in the PL, their best finish since Sir Alex retired.

There's no hindsight about it, you know the value of those trophies and have said so here many times before so don't start acting like winning them with United is a big deal - he got bombed out of there having failed, just the same way he was bombed out of Chelsea having them in 16th at Christmas.

It was a stupid vanity project of an appointment at the time and one that looks even worse with hindsight.

[

There's no hindsight about it, you know the value of those trophies and have said so here many times before so don't start acting like winning them with United is a big deal - he got bombed out of there having failed, just the same way he was bombed out of Chelsea having them in 16th at Christmas.

It was a stupid vanity project of an appointment at the time and one that looks even worse with hindsight.

At the time I thought it was the right one, the obvious one.

I'm still surprised it didn't work.

That why it's so frustrating. Mourinho has made Levy look like a mug.

I don't think so, had we gone another way and that not worked either Levy would have been criticised for not going for Jose.

We know how Levy works, his decisions are all made with careful thought, he doesn't rush anything. That it hasn't worked doesn't make him a mug.

We won't be the last organisation to entrust a team to Jose.

I don't think so, had we gone another way and that not worked either Levy would have been criticised for not going for Jose.

We know how Levy works, his decisions are all made with careful thought, he doesn't rush anything. That it hasn't worked doesn't make him a mug.

We won't be the last organisation to entrust a team to Jose.
I really like Daniel.
Things have moved on in top-flight football and Levy must get someone to help him, pronto, before he compounds the problem.

Levy needs a good footballing adviser on the board. If West Ham can figure it out!

For WH it's one year where other clubs are in a mess. Too early to say they have figured it out imo.

Also, Levy seemingly does seek the advice of "football people", Hoddle for example, that they are not in an official position doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

[
Not trying to be revisionist in any way, but I still cannot see why he was considered a good match for Spurs, despite his curriculum. I see the "he's a winner" angle, but still. I can't remember him ever having a reputation of being a particularly good man manager (that we really needed at that point) and has rarely set up any of his teams play-wise in a way associated with Spurs - quite the opposite I would say. And the way I see it we can accept failure to some extent (after all, we do have extensive experience in that department), but we won't accept a boring failure. Which I believe 60000 in the stands would happily have reminded him of.

Agree on the defence. Not sure about the midfield - I think it needs work. Winks, Lamela, Moura and Sissoko are all average players at best. I’m increasingly not sure what Lo Celso brings; it’s certainly not goals or assists, and he is injured so often (available to start 8 times out of a potential 80+ games was a stat I think I heard recently...?).

And we still don’t have a serious back-up for Kane. The keeper position probably needs attention.

All of that leaves us very thin on the bench...and so it goes on.
I think that’s harsh to put Moura in that group, I think he’s shown he’s more than capable of adding value to the squad. The rest is hard to argue with, but still the defence is the thing I think needs the most work and should be the priority....

That is frightening.
Great footballer! But as thick as two short planks one of his teachers told me. Great though as he's now working as a pundit so no harm done.

Academically I can believe that, but in the last couple of years he's been one of the better pundits regarding tactical insight that I've heard.

Agree on the defence. Not sure about the midfield - I think it needs work. Winks, Lamela, Moura and Sissoko are all average players at best. I’m increasingly not sure what Lo Celso brings; it’s certainly not goals or assists, and he is injured so often (available to start 8 times out of a potential 80+ games was a stat I think I heard recently...?).

And we still don’t have a serious back-up for Kane. The keeper position probably needs attention.

All of that leaves us very thin on the bench...and so it goes on.

The squad needs improvements yes, but upgrading the back-up players will be a 24-36 month task (there's quite a few to be changed).

Priority is signing 2 CBs and getting a new manager. Add them to Kane, Son, Hojbjeg, Ndombele, GLC, Reguilon, Lloris, maybe Dele and you have a team which would be competitive at the very highest level

Then bring back Skipp and Sessegnon and upgrade the back-up players. But we don't need to sign 10 players to have a top class team. Just a couple CBs and change of manager

Not trying to be revisionist in any way, but I still cannot see why he was considered a good match for Spurs, despite his curriculum. I see the "he's a winner" angle, but still. I can't remember him ever having a reputation of being a particularly good man manager (that we really needed at that point) and has rarely set up any of his teams play-wise in a way associated with Spurs - quite the opposite I would say. And the way I see it we can accept failure to some extent (after all, we do have extensive experience in that department), but we won't accept a boring failure. Which I believe 60000 in the stands would happily have reminded him of.

2 things needed to be misjudged in order to arrive at the conclusion that appointing him was the right move

The squad/team was better than it was

The manager was still at the top of his game

All reasonable evidence at that time showed neither of the above was true. An argument could be made that if the squad was still it's 16/17 level and if Mourinho was still at his pre Chelsea mk 2 level then it could have worked out, it could have been the final push needed that an experienced winner could provide. But the squad was in a mess and the manager long past his sell by date - no one not wewring blinkers could have thought otherwise.

That is frightening.
Great footballer! But as thick as two short planks one of his teachers told me. Great though as he's now working as a pundit so no harm done.
That is a bad yardstick, really. Kasey Keller had actually finished elementary school or something, which made him widely accepted as one of the smartest and most well educated men in football.

This may or may not have been slightly exaggerated.

Back