• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

And that was key
The clubs who wanted had other players in mind
And the fee we wanted was prohibitive
Considering what we sold him for with his contract position we did well
Eventually yes.... but selling 6 months earlier for something close to what it would’ve taken for us to get Bruno Fernandes would’ve been the smart thing to do. The sale fee may not have looked brilliant for a player of very high quality but it would’ve been the right thing to do for the playing squad.

Sure there will be
I didn’t have anyone ITK
I just got told by Mike Rollo (yeah he had left the club) and Coytey
They were talking very casually
There’s a blast for the past.... Whenever we were negotiating to renew our company box at WHL he would talk about all sorts of great players that we were going to sign and stupendous amounts of money that we were going to spend on transfers. Sometimes I suspected that he actually believed it himself!... Nice bloke though.

I'm not sure if that's how transfers work - surely agents on behalf of the player or the club put the feelers out and see who's interested before values get bandied around
Typically sales are conducted by agents on behalf of the club. The agents will be given a valuation range for the sale of the player. The higher the fee they manage to negotiate, the bigger their cut of the deal. Of course any potential buying club will then contact the player agent before making an offer for the player as they only know if they can afford the deal if they know what the player wage and bonuses package is going to be.

So did Barca/Madrid show an official interest in Eriksen?

If so, bearing in mind the fees for Hazard and Coutinho, our reported valuation of Eriksen seemed reasonable to me.

Did Levy get Levy'd, was this the reverse of the purported Grealish situation?

If so, bearing in mind the fees for Hazard and Coutinho, our reported valuation of Eriksen seemed reasonable to me.

I have no idea whether Levy got Levy’d or who there was interest from. I expect it was a simple case of our valuation for a player with a year left on his contract wasn’t realistic enough. I don’t know anything about Eriksen’s departure but the stories going round were that Spurs were seeking £80m for him in Summer 2019.

There’s a blast for the past.... Whenever we were negotiating to renew our company box at WHL he would talk about all sorts of great players that we were going to sign and stupendous amounts of money that we were going to spend on transfers. Sometimes I suspected that he actually believed it himself!... Nice bloke though.
Mike?
Guy was bonkers

I don't think either did and the comparison to Hazard falls apart when you take into account that Hazard was Real Madrid's No1 target that they were willing to pay whatever they needed to get. Eriksen never had that kind of interest in him.

Any deprecating commodity is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. We needed to find a buyer who would pay an acceptable fee for Eriksen, unfortunately we priced him out of the market and we ended selling for less and had the disruption of his presence in the side.

I don't think either did and the comparison to Hazard falls apart when you take into account that Hazard was Real Madrid's No1 target that they were willing to pay whatever they needed to get. Eriksen never had that kind of interest in him.

Any deprecating commodity is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. We needed to find a buyer who would pay an acceptable fee for Eriksen, unfortunately we priced him out of the market and we ended selling for less and had the disruption of his presence in the side.

Quite, although, how else are we to judge what we should receive for an asset than look at actual deals involving similar ability players?

Quite, although, how else are we to judge what we should receive for an asset than look at actual deals involving similar ability players?
You could look to value him somewhere close to the player that the manager had earmarked as his replacement? (Bruno Fernandes). If I remember correctly his club were asking for £45m back then?

You could look to value him somewhere close to the player that the manager had earmarked as his replacement? (Bruno Fernandes). If I remember correctly his club were asking for £45m back then?

There is a "proven in the PL" premium too.

Taking 45m for Eriksen at that time would have been seen as madness imo.

There is a "proven in the PL" premium too.

Taking 45m for Eriksen at that time would have been seen as madness imo.
It would have been nothing of the sort. The player had been open and honest that he wanted to try something new and wasn't going to sign a new deal. I remember that summer of 2019, a few on here were talking about us getting £80 odd million for him I said back then that his value was probably about half of that due to his contract situation. Bringing that £40m in and putting the money to instant use on the manager's preferred replacement would've been the absolute right thing to do.

It would have been nothing of the sort. The player had been open and honest that he wanted to try something new and wasn't going to sign a new deal. I remember that summer of 2019, a few on here were talking about us getting £80 odd million for him I said back then that his value was probably about half of that due to his contract situation. Bringing that £40m in and putting the money to instant use on the manager's preferred replacement would've been the absolute right thing to do.

In hindsight yes, but at the time it would have seemed incredibly cheap.

In hindsight yes, but at the time it would have seemed incredibly cheap.
Only to those who don't understand what happens to the transfer values of players as they approach the end of their contracts.

It's why we probably have to sell Son this summer (or persuade him to sign a new deal, though I can't see him signing him if we miss out on CL).

Walking a tightrope. The Villa game only gives breathing space until the next game.

A difficult game to play off the pitch, calling out players, dropping players and starting younger less experienced players. As long as the lads on the pitch respond well and we get results it works, but it takes very little before it backfires.

Becoming somewhat difficult to see a turnaround actually happen. A lot of things have to go right, and very few things can go wrong. It's still possible, but most of the time I think this kind of process signals the end stages.

Will be very interesting to see what happens with the players now out of favour for the rest of the season. If they remain out we'll go into the summer with a rather divided squad. The summer window will then either have to be a purge of sorts or a change of manager might be necessary to create some reconciliation. Then again come the summer a new manager might be seen as the only option.

If one or two of the players now out in the cold could come back, play with intensity and show signs that they're responding well it will be easier. If there at least can be a way back into Mourinho's good book.

Walking a tightrope. The Villa game only gives breathing space until the next game.

A difficult game to play off the pitch, calling out players, dropping players and starting younger less experienced players. As long as the lads on the pitch respond well and we get results it works, but it takes very little before it backfires.

Becoming somewhat difficult to see a turnaround actually happen. A lot of things have to go right, and very few things can go wrong. It's still possible, but most of the time I think this kind of process signals the end stages.

Will be very interesting to see what happens with the players now out of favour for the rest of the season. If they remain out we'll go into the summer with a rather divided squad. The summer window will then either have to be a purge of sorts or a change of manager might be necessary to create some reconciliation. Then again come the summer a new manager might be seen as the only option.

If one or two of the players now out in the cold could come back, play with intensity and show signs that they're responding well it will be easier. If there at least can be a way back into Mourinho's good book.
Who are those players do we think? Which players were not even on the bench? (ignoring Lamela as he was suspended).

Back