• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

You're arguing a point I didn't make. I spoke only about what we did do. Which was create no real chances and score from a set piece. I made no claim as to what Mourinho would or wouldn't have done just that was was done was not effective.

Not too effective for the first 70 minutes.
But you said "We could just as easily have not scored and ended with a drab draw where you's have to say we never really went for it or tried to win. We just kept on doing the same things that clearly weren't working." That reads as speaking about more than only what we did do, but about what might have happened if we hadn't scored and continued to play the remainder of the match in the same way.

Which we didn't.

Not too effective for the first 70 minutes.
But you said "We could just as easily have not scored and ended with a drab draw where you's have to say we never really went for it or tried to win. We just kept on doing the same things that clearly weren't working." That reads as speaking about more than only what we did do, but about what might have happened if we hadn't scored and continued to play the remainder of the match in the same way.

Which we didn't.

I was talking up to and including the goal which wasn't caused by incisve play, it was a set piece and a rather fortunate goal from one.

Are we going to pretend all was going well on the attacking play up until the goal? I'm not claiming we would not have changed things, just that we didn't change things. I actually wanted to make some adjustments because what we were doing was not working.

I was talking up to and including the goal which wasn't caused by incisve play, it was a set piece and a rather fortunate goal from one.

Are we going to pretend all was going well on the attacking play up until the goal? I'm not claiming we would not have changed things, just that we didn't change things. I actually wanted to make some adjustments because what we were doing was not working.
That’s not a fortunate goal
That was a quality corner
Set pieces are a valid form of attack
It’s why we have dropped points

What I mean by fortunate is that you can't plan for Kane to step back head the ball on and Son to latch on to the header. That will happen successfully 1 in 25 times if not less. It isn't a viable plan for scoring consistently.

No it didn't we scored from a set piece, outside of that we looked like we had no ideas.

I don't know why there's any argument on this point tbqh it seems pretty cut and dry that we created little, done little to change it and got a lucky break from a set piece goal. Seems a fairly easy one to chalk up as a must do better, both on the pitch and from the sidelines.
Well I flatly disagree. A lot of goals come from 'lucky breaks', but they only happen because you create the circumstances in which they can. The difference between the two sides on the night was, we had the craft to convert one of our attacks, they did not. I seem to recall stats showing the likes of Kane and Son often exceed their expected goals. That's why we win games we otherwise would not have done.

Set pieces are isolated plays and seperate from the match tactics being discussed.

A valid form of attack? yes - a sign that our game plan in open play was working? No, and I'm surprised this needs explaining

Jeez, can someone please show me all the games where you see the big boys lavishly playing their free flowing swashbuckling football at Turf Moor? Because every time I've seen them there Burnley make it a tough physical battle.

Mourinho picked players who could be relied upon to be solid, which we were. With that game plan it is always a safe bet one of our stars would create a little bit of magic if we kept it tight which is exactly what happened. Any type of three points up there is well earned, its great to see we can battle to a win because the team will need that type of performance almost as many times as one with sexy football will be required.....

Heaven forbid we expect more than a fortunate 1-0 win against a side who has a solitary point this season.

What I mean by fortunate is that you can't plan for Kane to step back head the ball on and Son to latch on to the header. That will happen successfully 1 in 25 times if not less. It isn't a viable plan for scoring consistently.
Again I’d argue that you can work on set pieces to make them a valid form of attack. That looked like a planned set piece but Kane didn’t confirm that afterwards
We have teams that plan to attack us with free kicks yet we don’t see it the same way when we use set pieces :(;)

Heaven forbid we expect more than a fortunate 1-0 win against a side who has a solitary point this season.
Who also have conceded very few goals this season
In fact I believe that before the game yesterday had conceded the same amount of goals as us
The table is 6 games in. So I’d argue the view on points gained so far maybe isn’t reflective of the qualities of a side yet

Didn't see much wrong with our attacking play yesterday. I think the issue is that the perception of attacking tactics is that they encompass all attacking play from the pass into their half to the goal, and the fact that we only got one yesterday from a set piece means that element is lacking.

Doesn't really work like that - never has. Even Guardiola's approach was summed by Henry as 'My job is to get you into the final third, your job is to score from there.'

Mourinho's approach is similar - the structure allows for players to get into the final third in relatively high-quality positions receiving the ball to feet on the move or in loads of space, and that's where players take over.

If Lamela hadn't miscontrolled twice in the box, if Sonny hadn't uncharacteristically hesitated when shooting in the second half after being set free by Kane, if Ndombele had a bit more decisiveness after getting past three blokes, we could have been in five times and had at least a couple of open-play goals. But individual quality takes over there, not tactics.

Also important to note that Burnley's approach meant risk-taking on the attacking front would be punished, badly. A simple long ball to Wood or Barnes, they'd control and lay it off, and then Toby and Dier would be backpedaling, leading to either a shot or a set piece - the latter of which is exceedingly dangerous for us right now because we can't defend them.

That outlet lasted all game, and precluded us from being more adventurous - we had to have bodies around Barnes and Wood to pick up the second ball, because they'd usually win the first.

So, all in all, not a bad game in an attacking sense. We'll have games with more freedom to venture forward- we will also have to shut up shop significantly more (against Pool, for example, where you can stymie them by giving them the ball and countering against a Van Dijk-less defence).

Who also have conceded very few goals this season
In fact I believe that before the game yesterday had conceded the same amount of goals as us
The table is 6 games in. So I’d argue the view on points gained so far maybe isn’t reflective of the qualities of a side yet

Regardless of the semantics we should be beating the likes of Burnley, end of story really. If we don't beat teams like this or if we don't play well against them then we should be asking why.

Regardless of the semantics we should be beating the likes of Burnley, end of story really. If we don't beat teams like this or if we don't play well against them then we should be asking why.

1. We DID beat them
2. We have played much better against teams who overall are worse than Burnley/easier to play against than Burnley and NOT won
3. We kept a clean sheet in the PL for first time

I'm over the moon with the win. Let's worry about our method of winning etc when we start playing really brick consistently (e.g. the period from mid-December to March..)

COYS

1. We DID beat them
2. We have played much better against teams who overall are worse than Burnley/easier to play against than Burnley and NOT won
3. We kept a clean sheet in the PL for first time

I'm over the moon with the win. Let's worry about our method of winning etc when we start playing really brick consistently (e.g. the period from mid-December to March..)

COYS

I'm happy with the win but not the performance, seems some of you are unable to seperate the two

I think we can always be critical of the team
We had a plan that got us the win
The team did their job to the plan
It could have been prettier but some of our better performances haven’t yielded the points we would have liked

Unless the plan was 'keep it tight and hope we score from a set piece' then no, the plan did not get us the win.

Back