• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I have to disagree about Aurier. At fault for Saudi Sportswashing Machine's goal due to a brainless terrible clearance. At fault for Arsenal's goal due to losing possession by his own penalty box. At fault for Sheff Utd's second goal for completely failing to track his runner. Arguably at fault for Sheff Utd's first goal, for abandoning his position to chase their wing-back high up the pitch (and leading to a domino effect of teammates being pulled out of position across the pitch. Though to be fair I don't know if he was instructed to do that by Mourinho). And that's just his mistakes that have led to goals (3 to 4 of our last 5 conceded).

Personally I've seen no evidence that his lack of decision-making and concentration is improving, and I think it should be very possible to upgrade on him.
Not going to argue that Aurier doesn't make mistakes. In my estimation the frequency and severity of those mistakes have reduced. To the point that I consider him a decent enough full back when also considering his strengths.

I hope he keeps improving if he stays. Would be very happy if we got an immediate upgrade on him, I just don't think it's very likely.

Not going to argue that Aurier doesn't make mistakes. In my estimation the frequency and severity of those mistakes have reduced. To the point that I consider him a decent enough full back when also considering his strengths.

I hope he keeps improving if he stays. Would be very happy if we got an immediate upgrade on him, I just don't think it's very likely.
What do you consider are his strengths?
I thought it was his crossing but that’s very average IMO

I think his crossing reflects his whole game, troughs and peaks.

I just think if we keep just hoping he'll be good enough, we'll ultimately be disappointed.

And I don't really want to be doing the finding out, I think he's been here long enough to say we've done that.

Athleticism. Not the quickest, but quick. Strong, fairly tall. Fantastic stamina, up and down the right hand side twice a week, no rests.

Intensity, tackling, getting stuck in.

Skill on the ball, including crossing. It's a bit of a mixed bag at times and there are too many errors. But he tries to make things happen, he makes things happen and he's never afraid of getting on the ball. Takes some risks he shouldn't have, trusts his skill at times when he shouldn't. But I prefer that to hiding and being too safe.

When he's on his game he's a fairly intelligent player, just needs to find more consistency.
I think his crossing reflects his whole game, troughs and peaks.

I just think if we keep just hoping he'll be good enough, we'll ultimately be disappointed.

And I don't really want to be doing the finding out, I think he's been here long enough to say we've done that.
As long as he's improving I think sticking with him makes sense. He looked finished under Poch, but Mourinho has seemingly given him something else. If he can keep improving I think he could be better than any ready made replacement we can realistically sign this summer.

A lot of flimflam is written about foul throw in's, if you watch many games you will see that foul throw in's are happening in nearly every game by different players. It's just another stick to beat up Aurier with.

Yeah. It's one of those rules that is rarely enforced despite being broken multiple times most games.

Athleticism. Not the quickest, but quick. Strong, fairly tall. Fantastic stamina, up and down the right hand side twice a week, no rests.

Skill on the ball, including crossing. It's a bit of a mixed bag at times and there are too many errors. But he tries to make things happen, he makes things happen and he's never afraid of getting on the ball. Takes some risks he shouldn't have, trusts his skill at times when he shouldn't. But I prefer that to hiding and being too safe.

When he's on his game he's a fairly intelligent player, just needs to find more consistency. As long as he's improving I think sticking with him makes sense. He looked finished under Poch, but Mourinho has seemingly given him something else. If he can keep improving I think he could be better than any ready made replacement we can realistically sign this summer.
Mourinho has given him game time as the other options were limited. I would have probably chosen Aurier as well if the options were Foyth or KWP.

We play to protect his weaknesses (sensible) but it makes one part of our formation fixed, and so predictable for our opponents. Free flow either side /flank is what we should aim for.

I personally don't think there is much improvement left in him, his flaws will not be ironed out.

Of course you are correct in saying that ready made replacement might be hard to find BUT it is equal priority with a new DM imo

Last edited:
Mourinho has given him game time as the other options were limited. I would have probably chosen Aurier as well if the options were Foyth or KWP.

We play to protect his weaknesses (sensible) but it makes one part of our formation fixed, and so predictable for out opponents. Free flow either side /flank is what we should aim for.

I personally don't think there is much improvement left in him, his flaws will not be ironed out.

Of course you are correct in saying that ready made replacement might be hard to find BUT it is equal priority with a new DM imo
100% agree.

We play to protect his weaknesses (sensible) but it makes one part of our formation fixed, and so predictable for our opponents. Free flow either side /flank is what we should aim for.

Any one who can do the basics well would surely be an upgrade
And I just mean the basics well for a premier league level FB, I don’t mean we need a world class one although that would help

When he's on his game he's a fairly intelligent player, just needs to find more consistency. As long as he's improving I think sticking with him makes sense. He looked finished under Poch, but Mourinho has seemingly given him something else. If he can keep improving I think he could be better than any ready made replacement we can realistically sign this summer.
I certainly don’t think he is fast (I did before we signed him) and his lack of running back is one of his biggest faults
I agree he gets no rests which can’t be helpful but the TAA doesn’t either and look at him every game.
His decision making IMO aid so bad because he is rash with his challenges it exposes him against half decent opposition

I certainly don’t think he is fast (I did before we signed him) and his lack of running back is one of his biggest faults
I agree he gets no rests which can’t be helpful but the TAA doesn’t either and look at him every game.
His decision making IMO aid so bad because he is rash with his challenges it exposes him against half decent opposition
Definitely not fast as you say, very average pace, not slow not quick.

he does play every game though so reliability in that regard is good.

I think that has been less of the case since the restart. We have a variety of different ways of playing and covering the defence is a whole team responsibility and is for the benefit of all of the back four, not just Aurier.

I think Mourinho has us set us up to get the best out of the team.

The current approach does get the best out of Aurier, but he's not alone in that.

Our goals against and xG against have dropped significantly. With Aurier in the team. He's not as big of a liability as he was imo.

I think that has been less of the case since the restart. We have a variety of different ways of playing and covering the defence is a whole team responsibility and is for the benefit of all of the back four, not just Aurier.
I agree it has since the restart BUT being in a low/medium block is hardly a 'variety of different ways' its more or less parking the bus. Even a brick team has half a chance of giving the impression they're defensively solid (even the Goons comedy defenders kept out the pass masters City). And Aurier being part of that bus is actually bringing him back nearer the goal.

Edit: I'm not being critical of it as a tactic btw.....if thats what we need to do to get a foundation down and some stability then its absolutely the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Any one who can do the basics well would surely be an upgrade
And I just mean the basics well for a premier league level FB, I don’t mean we need a world class one although that would help
KWP is getting games for Southampton, they're reportedly willing to pay up some money for him. A mid table PL club.

Aurier has clearly been preferred to KWP by both Poch and Mourinho. Mourinho a manager rather famous for demanding the basics and defensive solidity.

It could be that Mourinho is just waiting to get rid of Aurier as well to bring in someone else, I doubt it though.
Compared to peak Walker he's clearly slower. Part of my issue with him before was that he played as if he was quicker than everyone despite not actually being that quick.

I think he's reasonably quick though. And I can't really remember him struggling for pace all that often these days. Feel free to correct my impression if him getting skinned is just something I've repressed.

I agree it has since the restart BUT being in a low/medium block is hardly a 'variety of different ways' its more or less parking the bus. Even a brick team has half a chance of giving the impression they're defensively solid (even the Goons comedy defenders kept out the pass masters City). And Aurier being part of that bus is actually bringing him back nearer the goal.

It's here to stay all of the time that Mourinho Is manager.

By variety of ways to play I meant were that we switch formation and allow our fullbacks to get forward more against the lesser side (whilst still being compact in defence).

I am not keen on everything going through Aurier in attack but switching to a 3 man defence when attacking and Aurier becoming an auxiliary winger is an effective option.

I'm not Aurier's biggest fan but I agree with @braineclipse. The priority for me this summer is balancing the squad and creating a platform for our match winners to shine. An understudy for Aurier is more of a priority for me than a new first choice RB.

I'd be holding onto Sissoko, unless we received a stupid bid, for similar reasons.

Back