• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Our full backs are quite good on the ball, obviously not top level, but I'm not sure we can expect to get top level. Aurier is more ambitious and does make some errors whereas Davies is more tidy and steady. Both want the ball and try to pass it with purpose though.

For me they are not the main culprits, and fixing our buildup play against good high pressing and against bus parking teams won't be easily solved by signing new full backs.

For me the problem is that we have a "DM" in Sissoko that mostly goes hiding when teams press us. He doesn't want to receive the ball under pressure. We also have a centre back in Sanchez that's rather average on the ball. At our best we had two outstanding ball playing centre backs.

Assuming we want to play more like Mourinho has us playing now we need a DM. Get someone that's at least good under pressure and a somewhat effective passer. Someone that doesn't hide when we have the ball. Play Dier and Alderweireld. I think that's the easiest, most realistic way to improve is in these areas.

I agree, we should be prioritising a replacement for Sissoko ... He's great for shielding the back line but not much use when we have the ball.. One has to question why Fernandes hasn't been giving more minutes as I do believe that DM was his role at Benfica?

The Full-backs ... I do like Ben Davies, not so much Serge, in fact I dislike Serge the footballer very much ... He's rash, prone to making those big mistakes and his general play is very hit and miss, can look good one minute and in the next, leaves us all feeling exasperated...

Davies is technically adequate but for me just doesn't have that burst of speed that's needed in tight situations and seems to find it difficult when the game around him is fast..

Tanganga, Foyth, Sess and KWP (if he's beefed up) - for one reason or another, have not featured much under Jose. I get the impression that Tanganna apart, Jose is not entirely a fan of the others so I'm expecting these players sold or loaned out and new players coming in..Excluding Tanganga, I feel there's £50m that can be raised there..

I think Jose will be looking at two solid dependable full-backs.. He tried to get Meunier on a free and that would've been good ...An Ivanovic type full-back who will not cost the earth, is out there ...

IMO we need incoming players that will not deputise Serge and Davies but be good enough to relegate them to squad players ..

I agree, we should be prioritising a replacement for Sissoko ... He's great for shielding the back line but not much use when we have the ball.. One has to question why Fernandes hasn't been giving more minutes as I do believe that DM was his role at Benfica?

The Full-backs ... I do like Ben Davies, not so much Serge, in fact I dislike Serge the footballer very much ... He's rash, prone to making those big mistakes and his general play is very hit and miss, can look good one minute and in the next, leaves us all feeling exasperated...

Davies is technically adequate but for me just doesn't have that burst of speed that's needed in tight situations and seems to find it difficult when the game around him is fast..

Tanganga, Foyth, Sess and KWP (if he's beefed up) - for one reason or another, have not featured much under Jose. I get the impression that Tanganna apart, Jose is not entirely a fan of the others so I'm expecting these players sold or loaned out and new players coming in..Excluding Tanganga, I feel there's £50m that can be raised there..

I think Jose will be looking at two solid dependable full-backs.. He tried to get Meunier on a free and that would've been good ...An Ivanovic type full-back who will not cost the earth, is out there ...

IMO we need incoming players that will not deputise Serge and Davies but be good enough to relegate them to squad players ..

Have posted this before, Sissoko is required because of how poor Aurier is. All season he's had to play an auxillaiary right back/midfielder to bail out Aurier's rooster ups. If we improve on Aurier then may mean less requirement for Sissoko.

However, to the Ivanovic type, it's clear Jose wants an attacking right wing back to push up so expect it will be someone more in that mold than anyone more defensively minded. I'm also not totally sold on Davies either tbh.

Have posted this before, Sissoko is required because of how poor Aurier is. All season he's had to play an auxillaiary right back/midfielder to bail out Aurier's rooster ups. If we improve on Aurier then may mean less requirement for Sissoko.

However, to the Ivanovic type, it's clear Jose wants an attacking right wing back to push up so expect it will be someone more in that mold than anyone more defensively minded. I'm also not totally sold on Davies either tbh.
I agree with most of this
Although I’m not sure her wants an attacking right back. More that his only current right back is better out of harms way in attack rather than defence so he plays that way.
He certainly would want at least one FB who can attack more but I don’t think he is precious what side of at all

We will talk about fullbacks for a couple of months, whilst Levy postures... then we will go into the season with Tanganga at right back and Sessegnon the attacking left back.

Aurier has improved quite a bit in my estimation. For me Davies is adequate.

Part of my thinking is that the kind of full backs that clearly improve on Aurier and Davies are rather rare and usually very expensive. Unless we find a bargain in the market somehow that's underrated or has a contract issue that no richer club wants to exploit I really doubt that we will find that clear upgrade this summer. Just look at the fees paid for players like Walker, Wan Bissaka and Cancelo in recent years.

I'm sure we can find someone more consistent and solid than Aurier. I'm sure we can find someone quicker and more adventurous than Davies. I would expect them to have other weaknesses that would cause concern.

At left back we potentially have Sessegnon and Cirkin. At right back I think we need another player unless KWP or Foyth are suddenly seen as good enough (I doubt it). I think the chances of us getting to the point of having a right back we'd all be happy with its much greater if we get someone young with potential that can develop over the coming years. If we're looking for someone to improve on Aurier next season I think we'll most likely be disappointed and spend quite a bit of money in the process.

Other areas though, to me much easier to see how we could improve. Having a proper option to Aurier, or at least a backup, should be doable. Even if we also want potential.

Aurier will be just like Sissoko in that everyone will be banging on about him being sold window after window, when in reality the club aren’t even thinking about selling him. Mourinho said he could be one of the best full backs in the world and whilst you can say he’s just saying that to give him confidence etc he doesn’t go out of his way to say those sort of things to players he doesn’t want to have around. I bet that come the start of next season he is still our starting right back, just like Sissoko has been an ever present since around three years ago when people on here were insistent he would be sold:D.....

Not sure where to put it

but sky just put up the top 6 from this and last season points wise

we have lost 24 games in that time, which is awful.

nearest is united with 18

I think how much Sissoko covers for Aurier gets overstated. And how much Aurier has to do when we have the ball, when we attack to cover for Sissoko's shortcomings gets overstated.

Moura, Son and Bergwijn have all played right wing and provided sufficient cover for Aurier.

Sissoko mainly covers the right when we get countered on and Aurier is high up the pitch. This is the most basic of functions for a deep midfielder to do. Sissoko does it well because of his athleticism, fair enough. It's nothing special though.

Unless people are claiming that Sissoko is out covering for Aurier when we're organised and defending. I'm not seeing that. I'll only say that if that's happening Winks must be one hell of a DM to be covering the centre of the pitch while Sissoko is out on the right babysitting Aurier.

Aurier has improved quite a bit in my estimation. For me Davies is adequate.

Part of my thinking is that the kind of full backs that clearly improve on Aurier and Davies are rather rare and usually very expensive. Unless we find a bargain in the market somehow that's underrated or has a contract issue that no richer club wants to exploit I really doubt that we will find that clear upgrade this summer. Just look at the fees paid for players like Walker, Wan Bissaka and Cancelo in recent years.

I'm sure we can find someone more consistent and solid than Aurier. I'm sure we can find someone quicker and more adventurous than Davies. I would expect them to have other weaknesses that would cause concern.

At left back we potentially have Sessegnon and Cirkin. At right back I think we need another player unless KWP or Foyth are suddenly seen as good enough (I doubt it). I think the chances of us getting to the point of having a right back we'd all be happy with its much greater if we get someone young with potential that can develop over the coming years. If we're looking for someone to improve on Aurier next season I think we'll most likely be disappointed and spend quite a bit of money in the process.

Other areas though, to me much easier to see how we could improve. Having a proper option to Aurier, or at least a backup, should be doable. Even if we also want potential.

I have to disagree about Aurier. At fault for Saudi Sportswashing Machine's goal due to a brainless terrible clearance. At fault for Arsenal's goal due to losing possession by his own penalty box. At fault for Sheff Utd's second goal for completely failing to track his runner. Arguably at fault for Sheff Utd's first goal, for abandoning his position to chase their wing-back high up the pitch (and leading to a domino effect of teammates being pulled out of position across the pitch. Though to be fair I don't know if he was instructed to do that by Mourinho). And that's just his mistakes that have led to goals (3 to 4 of our last 5 conceded).

Personally I've seen no evidence that his lack of decision-making and concentration is improving, and I think it should be very possible to upgrade on him.

Last edited:
I have to disagree about Aurier. At fault for Saudi Sportswashing Machine's goal due to a brainless terrible clearance. At fault for Arsenal's goal due to losing possession by his own penalty box. At fault for Sheff Utd's second goal for completely failing to track his runner. Arguably at fault for Sheff Utd's first goal, for abandoning his position to chase their wing-back high up the pitch (and leading to a domino effect of teammates being pulled out of position across the pitch. Though to be fair I don't know if he was instructed to do that by Mourinho). And that's just his mistakes that have led to goals (4 of our last 5 conceded).

Personally I've seen no evidence that his lack of decision-making and concentration is improving, and I think it should be very possible to upgrade on him.
The issue with Aurier is basic errors caused by a lack of intelligence in his play
Take the arsenal goal he made 3 errors in one move by stepping onto a pass he was not favourite to win, losing the battle with a player and then basically in his motion clearing it to their player who scored a worldie
Vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine he literally kicked it to the player he would have been marking if he had been wide (he did nothing wrong covering centrally) that he must have known would be out there. It was just odd

I think the Saudi Sportswashing Machine mistake was a muffed kick rather than a mental error, the body shape and swing suggests it was intended for row Z.

It’s still a mistake, but a much smaller one than intentionally playing it to an opposition controlled zone.

I think the Saudi Sportswashing Machine mistake was a muffed kick rather than a mental error, the body shape and swing suggests it was intended for row Z.

It’s still a mistake, but a much smaller one than intentionally playing it to an opposition controlled zone.
I’m not sure
He swung his foot in that direction as there was space there... space he had vacated to cover
It’s too common his miss kicks for a pro

Back