• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jermain Defoe

He won something as well didn’t he? Was he part of the league cup winning team? Or the Portsmouth F.A cup winning team?
I think he missed out on both - transferring to Portsmouth meant he was cup tied for them, and of course missed out on the League Cup with us. Although I'm sure I read somewhere about him getting his League Cup medal belatedly.

I think he missed out on both - transferring to Portsmouth meant he was cup tied for them, and of course missed out on the League Cup with us. Although I'm sure I read somewhere about him getting his League Cup medal belatedly.
He's got a Scottish league title.

Very underrated player. He was quick enough and those seemingly no-backlift strikes were always leaving keepers perplexed. As someone pointed out above the number of times he'd be caught offside was frustrating. Defoe and Crouch pairing epitomised little-and-large strike partnership for me.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

No more needs saying.....

images

Interesting interview with JD.

Asked to pick one player from today's game that he would've liked to have had as his strike partner, I'll give you one guess who he chose.

I fully expect Levy to sign him on the last day of the summer window as Kane's back up for next season.

I don't really, for anyone thinking I might be serious (which I seldom am).

It's not unheard of NFL clubs to sign a club legend for one day so they can retire with their "one true club". Trouble is, JD has had so many clubs!

It's not unheard of NFL clubs to sign a club legend for one day so they can retire with their "one true club". Trouble is, JD has had so many clubs!

Think we’d be in the running if Defoe was asked what club he’d like to retire at (be us or Sunderland I’d say and Sunderland is not all for footballing reasons).

I hope they never ask Robbie Keane that question. His head would explode with the amount of boyhood clubs he played for.

Agreed.... That would be fantastic. Defoe was a very, very good pro (as well as being a very good footballer and a true gentleman).
Might not of been the real talented top class strikers we’ve been fortunate to have such as Kane or Berbatov, but he was great and banged in plenty of goals for us.
Whenever a pundit on Sky he always talks as if Spurs are very much his team, comes across well and one of us. Good luck to him….

Agreed.... That would be fantastic. Defoe was a very, very good pro (as well as being a very good footballer and a true gentleman).
Agreed
He also knew how to finish
I’ve seen a few coaches talk about it being an elite skill and one that’s NOT focussed on enough
It’s something he can help all players on IMO

I think you'll get a better variety of finishes from Kane and tbh imo he is a better finisher than Defoe.

Defoe was v good, don't get me wrong.
Variety of finishes I can agree on.

But better finisher, I can’t. Kane misses a hell of a lot of chances and very good chances at that. I’d back Defoe through on goal more than Kane. Obviously Kane is the better all round player, I just don’t rate his finishing quite as highly in terms of ruthlessness. One of his biggest strengths is he constantly misses good chances, but he doesn’t hide and will still be there ready to try and score the next one. Oh and I can’t fault his penalty taking finishing obviously…..

Always annoyed me the way refs let big hairyarsed defender shove him over and let it go because he was so small and went over easy, the offside thing was often because of slow passes rather than lazy play.

Variety of finishes I can agree on.

But better finisher, I can’t. Kane misses a hell of a lot of chances and very good chances at that. I’d back Defoe through on goal more than Kane. Obviously Kane is the better all round player, I just don’t rate his finishing quite as highly in terms of ruthlessness. One of his biggest strengths is he constantly misses good chances, but he doesn’t hide and will still be there ready to try and score the next one. Oh and I can’t fault his penalty taking finishing obviously…..
Defoe missed quite a lot of chances as well... All strikers do... The mark of a good striker is forgetting about the previous miss and putting yourself in the position to perhaps miss again. Defoe was brilliant at this, he could miss 5 chances in a row but in his own head he was still going to score the sixth. Emile Heskey was the opposite, he was an incredibly good player but if he missed a couple of chances he would then hide as he didn't want to miss any more. I thought that Soldado got to that point at Spurs unfortunately, it seemed that he stopped trying to get into goalscoring positions because he didn't want to miss. Huge self confidence is a real key attribute for strikers to have. The best ones always believe they are the best player on the pitch.

Back