• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jay Rodriguez

Exactly, I've been very unimpressed with who we have been linked with so far.

Is everybody really tied into a bigger club on a bigger salary and playing in the champions league?

Lol would love to know who you're wanting us to get then...

So we are going for Rodriguez because he had 1 good season?

Nah, it's because he scored against us in the league cup semi in 2009.

He was Burnley's top scorer in 10/11 and 11/12 with 15 and 21 goals in all competitions respectively. Didn't score as much in his first season at Southampton (9), but stepped up last season with 17.

Lol would love to know who you're wanting us to get then...

I am waiting for some top club cast-offs (a VdV or Davids signing) - these are our most realistic chances of signing somebody who can improve the team, the club and inspire the fans.

Looks like I will be waiting a long time but there is a clear change in emphasis toward the young and unproven like Rodriguez, et al. Even more so than in the past - this tells me that we are even more priced out in terms of salaries!

We used to compete with Munich, Madrid, Barca, Utd, City, Arsenal and Chelsea for top players and lost out. Now as we don't have Champions League again, we have been displaced even further down the pecking order, we used to at least offer more money than the likes of the Russian and Middle Eastern teams, PSG, Monaco etc. Even worse, we are also behind the likes of Liverpool, Athletico too in terms of the "work with a successful and up and coming coach" card!

These things tend to be cyclical but if you can't compete on salaries, you have to offers these players something! At worst we should at least be able to offer a stable club (where you can see your contract out without going bust!), a nice life in London for you family, the prospect of good coaching, a good stadium, premier league football and hence a showcase for their talents. How depressing!

I am waiting for some top club cast-offs (a VdV or Davids signing) - these are our most realistic chances of signing somebody who can improve the team, the club and inspire the fans.

Looks like I will be waiting a long time but there is a clear change in emphasis toward the young and unproven like Rodriguez, et al. Even more so than in the past - this tells me that we are even more priced out in terms of salaries!

We used to compete with Munich, Madrid, Barca, Utd, City, Arsenal and Chelsea for top players and lost out. Now as we don't have Champions League again, we have been displaced even further down the pecking order, we used to at least offer more money than the likes of the Russian and Middle Eastern teams, PSG, Monaco etc. Even worse, we are also behind the likes of Liverpool, Athletico too in terms of the "work with a successful and up and coming coach" card!

These things tend to be cyclical but if you can't compete on salaries, you have to offers these players something! At worst we should at least be able to offer a stable club (where you can see your contract out without going bust!), a nice life in London for you family, the prospect of good coaching, a good stadium, premier league football and hence a showcase for their talents. How depressing!

Corluka and Crouch are the only experienced signings which spring to mind when i think of the side which qualified for the CL - neither are the type of player i assume you mean by big cub cast offs - the rest of the side was assembled by signing young players yet to hit their peak. VdV Adebayor and Parker were then brought in and supplemented the likes of Bale Lennon Modic Walker Dawson Kaboul and Ekotto - all players signed prior to them hitting their 'peak'

right now we have Soldado Vertonghen Lloris as players we signed which were already at an established level - Schneiderlin has been targetted and this Argie CB also looks to be an established player as well so im not sure what you're complaining about?

In fact id probably argue it was the switch in focus we saw once we qualified for the CL to signing 'cast offs' and neglecting up and coming players which meant there was such a drop off once we lost three key players of that side over two summers (Modric VdV and Bale) - continue diwn this route and the idea is that if we lose player XY or Z then there will be emerging talent ready to fill the void - as opposed to losing key players and having to scramble around in the market buying players at a premium who you hope can step straight in to the team.

Signing promising talent is far more inspiring than players that are finished at the top level and will soon be going downhill. I'm not against signed experienced players, we could always use a bit of leadership and winning mentality, but marquee signings do nothing for me because you know you're getting shafted both on transfer fee and wages..

Forget Rodriguez. Offer them 5m for their physio team instead.

It'd be a much greater impact in the long run.

Didn't poch bring a piece of training equipment with him? And of the back room staff...was there one guy in charge of physical conditioning? I recall Ramos having a physical trainer and the boys weren't too happy and mouthed off to the press.

Sounds like Jay Rodriguez has suffered a set back in his return from injury:

[video]http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/2205146/headline[/video]

Sounds like Jay Rodriguez has suffered a set back in his return from injury:

[video]http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/2205146/headline[/video]

I have a feeling that could be bullet dodged .. not sure anyone who Southampton has sold has been particularly brilliant.

Lovren is a ****ing disaster at Pool

Not sure I'd agree with that assessment although I wasn't keen on the Rodriguez signing due to the medical issues. On the subject of the Southampton sales:

Lallana is looking fine, just hasn't had as many games as he perhaps should've by this stage of the season. He looked like their best player against UTD before Rodgers decided to take him off and has had good performances in these last couple of months.
Lambert was always gonna decline.
Shaw has been injured as has Rodriguez.
Chambers has looked a decent prospect too.

I don't particularly rate Rodgers as a defensive coach and their back line looks susceptible under pressure. IIRC prior to Southampton Lovren wasn't rated particularly highly in French football, yet Poch had him and Fonte working incredibly well. Perhaps Fonte was the better of the pair and the leader? Now Lovren is in a back line with no real leadership he is looking out of place?

Back