• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Jan Vertonghen official

Weren't he even quoted rejecting Arsenal because Wenger wanted him to play DM?

'(Arsenal's interest) was concrete, but they wanted me to be a controller in the midfield, an Emmanuel Petit-type,' Vertonghen told Dutch website NUsport.
'I'm not afraid of competition, but the overall picture of Spurs appealed to me more.'

He added: 'Ultimately, I just came to play at centre back. Gareth Bale had to play left back, but it did not work so he pushed forward and I moved to full-back.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...enal-Arsene-Wenger-planned-play-midfield.html

Yup.

'(Arsenal's interest) was concrete, but they wanted me to be a controller in the midfield, an Emmanuel Petit-type,' Vertonghen told Dutch website NUsport.
'I'm not afraid of competition, but the overall picture of Spurs appealed to me more.'

He added: 'Ultimately, I just came to play at centre back. Gareth Bale had to play left back, but it did not work so he pushed forward and I moved to full-back.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...enal-Arsene-Wenger-planned-play-midfield.html

Yup.

Great, thanks - even if you included my now corrected grammatical error :)

I like this Dutch guy. This has been a learning season for him and AVB. I hope he likes us and playing for us and I think maybe he does. He has not been given that much of a hard time by the fans or the press.

I like this Dutch guy. This has been a learning season for him and AVB. I hope he likes us and playing for us and I think maybe he does. He has not been given that much of a hard time by the fans or the press.

Which Dutch guy? Verts is Belgian.

tumblr_mki8p0vRMA1r1fq7do1_500.gif

marvellous technique !

Re: Jan Vertonghen watch thread

I think people are going way over board with the 'playing him at LB will make him unhappy' talk. as long as his long term future is at CB then im sure he's happy enough to be filling in at LB if it's to the benefit of the team.

Also it doesn't look like AVB fancies Ekotto much, expect to see us in for a LB in the summer, unless he thinks Rose is good enough (all gone a bit quiet on that front lately though hasn't it?)

Last edited:
Re: Jan Vertonghen watch thread

I think people are going way over board with the 'playing him at LB will make him unhappy' talk. as long as his long term future is at CB then im sure he's happy enough to be filling in at LB if it's to the benefit of the team.

Also it doesn't look like AVB fancies Ekotto much, expect to see us in for a LB in the summer, unless he thinks Rose is good enough (all gone a bit quiet on that front lately though hasn't it?)

I'm against it. Not because it makes him unhappy or anything like that though. Simply because he's a far superior CB than he is a LB.

Except Vertonghen has said he wants to play as a CD. Play him where he is happy and dont make him unhappy by moving him about the fudging park.

this is the difficulty of being a manager. who do you let run the team , yourself or the players?

He may want to play CB but he would have questionable character if he sulked simply because he was moved.

pretty much Tottenham and not Verts FC is what i am getting at.

tumblr_mki8p0vRMA1r1fq7do1_500.gif

marvellous technique !

That was a world class goal, the way he controls and scores. Adebayor always wastes one-on-one chances like that. We might as well play Vertonghen in attack and Adebayor in defence !

That was a world class goal, the way he controls and scores. Adebayor always wastes one-on-one chances like that. We might as well play Vertonghen in attack and Adebayor in defence !

It's Ajax's total football philosophy in play at least when it comes to training squad members. If you are more defensively minded and left footed, you train as a CB, Sweeper, left back, central midfielder and left midfielder; and the same if you are right footed. If you're more attacking, you play up front, on the wings and at AM.

Now I see why we didn't sign another striker, we can play Vertonghen up front for the rest of the season! 18 goals in two seasons is an outstanding return for a CB, which is what he got his his last two seasons at Ajax. He's already on 7 for us this season, imagine if he was in those goalscoring positions more often!

Remember the old debate about Gary Doherty's best position, either as a CB or CF. The reason was because we knew he was quite good at scoring headers but was so brick at marking and tackling, and also at ball control and finishing that we couldn't figure out what to do with him. Looking at Jan's first touch and some of the finishes he's produced since being here, I genuinely believe he could play up front for a Premier League team. Obviously not as first choice at a top team, but given that players like DJ Campbell and Andy Carroll have got into double figures of EPL goals over the years, I don't see why Jan couldn't do a good job up top. As a CB though, I've said for a while, he is potentially the best in the league.

this is the difficulty of being a manager. who do you let run the team , yourself or the players?

He may want to play CB but he would have questionable character if he sulked simply because he was moved.

pretty much Tottenham and not Verts FC is what i am getting at.

That's not what I was saying.

I would much rather have 11 happy players playing in their best positions than have 11 unhappy square pegs in round hole players.

'DEFENDER - JAN VERTONGHEN (Tottenham)

Tottenham's Jan Vertonghen was outstanding against Liverpool two weeks ago, in contrast with some of his team-mates. All credit to manager Andre Villas-Boas for making this acquisition in the summer. The defender's link-up play with Gareth Bale, in particular, was superb throughout the game against Swansea. The Belgian started and finished his own move to set up the first goal in open play, before drilling the most exquisite pass for Bale to put the match beyond the Swans.
Did you know? He scored three goals in March, only Liverpool's Luis Suarez (four) scored more in the month.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21988338

Technically brilliant player for a defender

Started season brightly, seemed to have dipped in form and now looks to have found it back and exactly the right point in season.

We made some pretty good buys in summer.

did the SuperJan celebration on Sat too =D>

Back