• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

well i didnt read all 350 pages or however many there were;)............i read about 4 pages and the opinion was 50/50 on McCarthy, like i said some rate him and some dont.

"Would cry if we sold James." ?? oh dear, how can you be so easily influenced?:)...........i mean before you found that thread my impression was that you werent in favour of us signing him.

did you really expect to go on there and not find positive opinions about him. Look at our own Soldado thread, there are plenty who stick up for Bobby despite his poor goal return for us.

Mason divides opinion in the same way

I wasn't particularly in favor of signing him as i was under the impression he wasn't well thought of by their supporters - checking a couple of forums though I've been forced to reassess that view as the general consensus is that he's on par with their sides best and among the first names on the team sheet.

50/50 does not represent the 'split' in that particular thread, btw, not even close (going back several pages) - one poster seems to think he's over rated by the rest and a few have mused on Mason as a replacement (to much derision it must be said) the majority (and it is a vast majority) either don't want to sell him or think we wouldn't be able to afford his true value (which is obviously bravado but certainly point to a player they don't want to lose).

Last edited:
And here are some more to show that McCarthy wins in four key areas, as I have said stats can be used to show whatever the poster wants to show.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...pass_completion/defensive_errors/blocks#total

That the issue though. He is a defensive player and you have selected some stats there bear little resemblance to the role he would be playing

A holding midfielders primary role is defensive.... You have chosen one defensive stat!!! And you have chosen the stats that make McCarthy look like a good player which makes your argument a little bit skewed.

In all fairness I rate the guy but thinking about everything carefully I dont think he is worth 20m big ones if thats what the toffees are after.

I think Dubai said it earlier...maybe go for a mario suarez.....been there done it...price is right 10-15m....someone with experience to play alongside Bentaleb and bring him along....

Although just like Dubai I dont really know much about Suarez either.....So I am stumped but yeah for the price and the marginal upgrade on Mason its probably not worth it.

Why is it Mason that's being replaced?

Mason was arguably the attacking one of the pivot and Bentelab was more of the sitter yet Mason is the one being replaced by a defensive player!!

I'm a big fan of Bentelab by the way but I'm curious

sorry, but hey at least the above statement cannot be blamed for causing more discussions regarding stats!

In truth I really rate Nabil, even though he showed many signs of naivety last season, simply put I would like us to build a team around the likes of Dier, Bentaleb, Kane, three youngsters who I believe can go on and do great things.

I would say Bentaleb is more integral to our future than Mason....though of course I am happy to be proved wrong and their is much to Mason's game that gives me optimism.

It is not even the signing of McCarthy that bugs me, it is just the fact that every article I read about us signing him mentions £20m? WTF At the very best I would offer a player swap with Lennon, failing that they can take a running jump, Everton I mean

That the issue though. He is a defensive player and you have selected some stats there bear little resemblance to the role he would be playing

A holding midfielders primary role is defensive.... You have chosen one defensive stat!!! And you have chosen the stats that make McCarthy look like a good player which makes your argument a little bit skewed.

(A) Blocks

(B) Defensive errors

(C) Clearances

Three stats maybe you miss read it :confused:, and the second bit In bold is what I have always said about stats they very rarely tell the whole/true story.

Didn't Everton also struggle early on with the concession of goals? Why would we want their defensive midfielder? even when if I believe that Mason needs up grading. Certainly not for the sum that Everton are asking for.

(A) Blocks

(B) Defensive errors

(C) Clearances

Three stats maybe you miss read it :confused:, and the second bit In bold is what I have always said about stats they very rarely tell the whole/true story.
the link when I click on it gets goals scored, pass completion and defensive errors along with blocks . Maybe the link doesn't work correct for me

the link when I click on it gets goals scored, pass completion and defensive errors along with blocks . Maybe the link doesn't work correct for me

Well that's still more then one, anyway we are going round in circles here and neither of us are getting anywhere.

...we are going round in circles here and neither of us are getting anywhere.

This should be quoted at the bottom of every thread.

The same old discussions again and again about the merit of stats and whether Toby Aldereiweld plays RB for Belgium due to lack of other RB's or quality of CB's... sheesh.

Didn't Everton also struggle early on with the concession of goals? Why would we want their defensive midfielder? even when if I believe that Mason needs up grading. Certainly not for the sum that Everton are asking for.

He has no interest in being a defensive midfielder. He was a brainless attacking midfielder in the Gerrard mode when he got hyped up as a youngster. Here in Ireland he was once seen as the answer to our ineffective midfield. No more. He's just turned in an average midfielder.
Here he is talking about his position a a few months ago:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/27/james-mccarthy-everton-roberto-martinez
“We have been working in training on a different style of play. The manager is letting me push on,” he said. “Gareth Barry is sitting in there and I have to try to get back and help defensively but the manager wants to try to get more goals in my game. He is letting me off the leash a little.”

Back