• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Blunt ..... i always though he was a bit of a ......... but

RomanzoCriminale

David Bentley
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2916778/Singer-James-Blunt-brands-Labour-MP-prejudiced-wazzock-complaining-posh-dominance-music-films.html

Pop star James Blunt today accused a Labour shadow minister of being a 'classist gimp' after he attacked the number of posh actors and musicians.
Labour MP Chris Bryant claimed British culture was 'dominated by Eddie Redmayne and James Blunt and their ilk' who went to expensive boarding schools.
The remarks, which come in the wake of Redmayne's best actor Oscar nomination last week, sparked a furious response from the 'You're Beautiful' chart star – who accused Mr Bryant of being a 'prejudiced wazzock' who uses the 'politics of jealousy' to win votes.

In a letter to Mr Bryant, Labour's shadow culture minister, Blunt says the boarding school he attended in Harrow, in West London, did nothing to help him break into the music industry.
The 40-year-old Brit award-winner also claims that people in the music industry tried to get him to change his accent so he sounded less posh.
Blunt opens his letter to Mr Bryant by accusing him of being a 'classist gimp', despite the fact that the Labour MP himself was privately educated at £20,000 a year Cheltenham College before attending Oxford.

Dear Chris Bryant MP,
You classist gimp. I happened to go to a boarding school. No one helped me at boarding school to get into the music business. I bought my first guitar with money I saved from holiday jobs (sandwich packing!). I was taught the only four chords I know by a friend. No one at school had ANY knowledge or contacts in the music business, and I was expected to become a soldier or a lawyer or perhaps a stockbroker. So alien was it, that people laughed at the idea of me going into the music business, and certainly no one was of any use.
In the army, again, people thought it was a mad idea. None of them knew anyone in the business either.
And when I left the army, going against everyone's advice, EVERYONE I met in the British music industry told me there was no way it would work for me because I was too posh. One record company even asked if I could speak in a different accent. (I told them I could try Russian).
Every step of the way, my background has been AGAINST me succeeding in the music business. And when I have managed to break through, I was STILL scoffed at for being too posh for the industry.
And then you come along, looking for votes, telling working class people that posh people like me don't deserve it, and that we must redress the balance. But it is your populist, envy-based, vote-hunting ideas which make our country crap, far more than me and my **** songs, and my plummy accent.
I got signed in America, where they don't give a stuff about, or even understand what you mean by me and 'my ilk', you prejudiced wazzock, and I worked my **** off. What you teach is the politics of jealousy. Rather than celebrating success and figuring out how we can all exploit it further as the Americans do, you instead talk about how we can hobble that success and 'level the playing field'. Perhaps what you've failed to realise is that the only head-start my school gave me in the music business, where the VAST majority of people are NOT from boarding school, is to tell me that I should aim high. Perhaps it protected me from your kind of narrow-minded, self-defeating, lead-us-to-a-dead-end, remove-the-'G'-from-'GB' thinking, which is to look at others' success and say, 'it's not fair.'
Up yours,
James

But Mr Bryant accused the pop star of being 'blooming precious'.
In a letter in response, the MP writes: 'I'm not knocking your success. I even contributed to it by buying one of your albums. I'm not knocking Eddie Redmayne, either. He was the best Richard II I have ever seen.
'If you'd read the whole of my interview, you'd have seen that I make the point that the people who subsidise the arts the most are artists themselves. Of course that includes you.
'But it is a statement of the blindingly obvious that that is far tougher if you come from a poor family where you have to hand over your holiday earnings to help pay the family bills.'

\o/ James Blunt Legend

he done an agony uncle column for the metro recently and it was quite funny to be fair to him, self depreciating and a dry sense of humor

there is a very obvious reason for the correlation between successful comedy and top universities, it's hard, you have to have very high intelligence to be funny, high intelligence people tend to go to top universities, there are exceptions obviously, not all take that route, all of them are smart though

I really think there is something to blunts point about labour attacking the successful and hard working amongst us under the banner of privilege, it's a thinly veiled attack that sadly many will fail to see through

we should celebrate the elite and foster aspiration, the goal should be to elevate everyone, not drag people back down

Very decent and funny guy, and could probably paralyze you with his left nut sack from his military training.

You're Beautiful is still a **** sing mind you.

there is a very obvious reason for the correlation between successful comedy and top universities, it's hard, you have to have very high intelligence to be funny, high intelligence people tend to go to top universities, there are exceptions obviously, not all take that route, all of them are smart though

I really think there is something to blunts point about labour attacking the successful and hard working amongst us under the banner of privilege, it's a thinly veiled attack that sadly many will fail to see through

we should celebrate the elite and foster aspiration, the goal should be to elevate everyone, not drag people back down

It's indicative to society as a whole though. Nobody likes someone successful. There's always a green eyes complex no matter how grand or small the context.

The fact that he is a descendent of a 600 year old family of aristos has no connection at all with his crap music. That' isn't being anti elitist is it?

Maybe the there'd be more diversity in the arts if Labour hadn't got rid of the Grammar schools?

Saying that though i don't think Music is dominated by the elite, neither is Football, Comedy, Television, Darts, Snooker etc etc ....... its a pathetic argument used by those who feel hard done by because they didn't have the drive and determination to make something of themselves. It seems the media is saturated with gobby Left wing ****ers who think because someones done well for them selves and talks well they're the enemy, a ****. Its pathetic and sad really that some people aspire to keep themselves down and want to drag others down there with them.

Maybe the there'd be more diversity in the arts if Labour hadn't got rid of the Grammar schools?

Saying that though i don't think Music is dominated by the elite, neither is Football, Comedy, Television, Darts, Snooker etc etc ....... its a pathetic argument used by those who feel hard done by because they didn't have the drive and determination to make something of themselves. It seems the media is saturated with gobby Left wing ****ers who think because someones done well for them selves and talks well they're the enemy, a ****. Its pathetic and sad really that some people aspire to keep themselves down and want to drag others down there with them.
Most of the musicians I new who made it spent years signing on whilst having no intention of finding a job. I think that the tightening up of benefits has probably had an impact.

I do not think that Bryant was criticising people from public school in the arts. I think that he was calling for greater diversity but made a mistake by naming individuals.

Most of the musicians I new who made it spent years signing on whilst having no intention of finding a job. I think that the tightening up of benefits has probably had an impact.

I do not think that Bryant was criticising people from public school in the arts. I think that he was calling for greater diversity but made a mistake by naming individuals.

Absolutely this; the reasonably valid point has got lost in the whole Twtter spat with Blunt as people eat popcorn waiting for replies :lol:

the rise of the 'unpaid intern' culture in many professions means that oftern only recent graduates from well-off backgrounds get the chance to enter those professions, built up their experience and develop their careers. It become and ever vicious cycle and i think it leads to industries eating themselves from within, which leads to the need for off-the-shelf qulaified immigrants to fill the gaps (and we know where this then goes...)

I'm not so sure.

When I was in my late teens/early twenties, being in a band and trying to make it meant doing a ****ty job during the day (or going to college) and spending your evenings/weekends lugging kit in and out of a ****ty van for gigs that paid you in beer at best and covered your fuel if you were really lucky. On the nights/weekends when you didn't have gigs you kept your ****ty van/kit up and running. I learned more about fixing old cars and soldering amps from being in a band than I care to remember - never quite got around to building my own pedals though.

I don't think it's the lack of benefits that's killed that scene, it's the lack of venues offering cheap gigs as part of an established circuit where a band can work their way up. That's partly the fault of the industry but mainly the fault of consumers who just want a track or two to listen on shuffle with all their other ****e music made by whiny ginger ***** with guitars and no soul.

I think we both know what he meant.

Exactly that though about people in bands, it used to be a way out for loads of kids, now they have it too easy, they've nothing to rebel against. Rebel against what, they haven't got the latest i-phone.

I think the venues were a major contributor, so many went out of business.

The internet has also been a factor as it massively lowered the barrier of entry (i'm not saying this was good or bad) and possibly made it harder to be noticed in all the extra noise, you didn't need to have access to rehearsal space and recording equipment to get a demo tape out anymore, you could do a decent version in your garage with a computer.

I think there was also a shift in the industry focus from talented to marketable at some point, you used to need one and do what you could with the other, now it probably works both ways.

Lastly, and this is just anecdotal, I have a friend who is part of a band that got pretty successful in the 90's, they (and plenty of other musicians) worked in hotels in London, they had to work as benefits alone would not have been enough to fund all the travel and equipment that was required for them to make their music. There are obvious examples of "benefit bands", I think Oasis were one, I think these were more likely not the rule.

Don't forgot the X-****ing-Factor and similar shows giving the impression that they were relevant to music and not just well-planned out TV programming.

I'm not so sure.

When I was in my late teens/early twenties, being in a band and trying to make it meant doing a ****ty job during the day (or going to college) and spending your evenings/weekends lugging kit in and out of a ****ty van for gigs that paid you in beer at best and covered your fuel if you were really lucky. On the nights/weekends when you didn't have gigs you kept your ****ty van/kit up and running. I learned more about fixing old cars and soldering amps from being in a band than I care to remember - never quite got around to building my own pedals though.

I don't think it's the lack of benefits that's killed that scene, it's the lack of venues offering cheap gigs as part of an established circuit where a band can work their way up. That's partly the fault of the industry but mainly the fault of consumers who just want a track or two to listen on shuffle with all their other ****e music made by whiny ginger ***** with guitars and no soul.

Also, struggling pubs has had a big impact. A pub very often can't afford to pay much/anything to an up n coming band, so then the gigs are costing the band money...and that only goes on for so long before 1 or all of the band decide they can't keep doing it. That was my brother's experience in a couple of bands.

Doing sh1t for free is easier when you're rich, that's all the politician was saying wasn't it?

Also, struggling pubs has had a big impact. A pub very often can't afford to pay much/anything to an up n coming band, so then the gigs are costing the band money...and that only goes on for so long before 1 or all of the band decide they can't keep doing it. That was my brother's experience in a couple of bands.

Doing sh1t for free is easier when you're rich, that's all the politician was saying wasn't it?

Venues paid next to nothing for bands in the 90s too - even quite established bands took a hit on tours as a loss-leader for album sales.

I think that having money was a disadvantage then - can't really speak for anything this side of the turn of the century though. Many support gigs came through making friends with the headline acts and people like like-minded people - being a university graduate or having an accent like Blunt's would have restricted the ability to get gigs (although I can see how it could help the attrition of it).

The problem now is that (as has been mentioned above) the few labels that are left want packaged acts, they don't really want the unpredictable risk of a real band. Can you imagine anyone taking on the Stone Roses now and having the whole painting/bricking episode happen?

Back