• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ITK

I just meant we'll get a reputation for buying players purely for shirt sales, to the detriment of their careers.

Obviously we've had two very good American players before, but buying Yedlins/Khumalos/Mabizelas/Todas for marketing reasons really does us no favours.
I think Yedlin was purchased on the back of his World Cup performances where he looked very dangerous as an attacking wing back type of player. It wasn't inconceivable that he could play that role for us, especially as all of our width needs to be provided by the full backs. The fact that it hasn't (yet) worked out at Spurs for Yedlin doesn't mean that he was purchased solely to sell shirts.

I think Yedlin was purchased on the back of his World Cup performances where he looked very dangerous as an attacking wing back type of player. It wasn't inconceivable that he could play that role for us, especially as all of our width needs to be provided by the full backs. The fact that it hasn't (yet) worked out at Spurs for Yedlin doesn't mean that he was purchased solely to sell shirts.

He got substituted after 20 minutes at the weekend, and not for an injury. He's really completely out of his depth in this league.

He got substituted after 20 minutes at the weekend, and not for an injury. He's really completely out of his depth in this league.
That may be the case, but his World Cup performances were impressive. He also looked impressive in (the admittedly weak) MLS. I think he represented a low cost gamble as opposed to a pure marketing signing.

I also thought that at the weekend Yedlin was taken off because Big Sam started Sunderland in a 3-4-3 formation and then decided to change them to a 4-4-2 after they had been swamped for the first 20 minutes or so? It looks like Allardyce sees Yedlin as a right midfielder/wingback as opposed to a right sided fullback (and he is probably right on that one).

As I said before though I don't think Yedlin not making it at Spurs would deter a single US footballer (or football from any other country) from coming here. Footballers generally have 4 questions when having the opportunity to go to a new club....

1. Will I be paid more money?
2. Will I be paid LOTS more money?
3. How much more money will I be paid?
4. Will I get paid even more money somewhere else?

If the answer to those 3 questions are "Yes", "Yes", "Loads" and "No" then they generally sign the contract.

Young kids still going to Chelsea or City for their "careers" shows that knowing you are going to be a stiff or a reserve doesn't stop transfers happening

Young kids still going to Chel53a or City for their "careers" shows that knowing you are going to be a stiff or a reserve doesn't stop transfers happening
See above.... My father was an agent for a while some years ago. The four questions above are all the players ask.

Trix: Smallish update. I know some would like to hear there is lots going on behind the scenes, but the fact is there isn't. Striker is all we are looking at for January(if it can be done). We have certain players we would like, and the money available to get them. Whether they can convince the clubs to sell them in January is another story. From what I was told there is no intention of trying to loan anyone as a stopgap as things stand.

Both Fazio and Andros know they are surplus and can go, neither though are being actively pushed by the club, and it is all down to their agents to find them clubs at acceptable prices. Both could go on loans.

Expect a quiet January and the same in the Summer. All about growing what we have as a unit.

Trix: Smallish update. I know some would like to hear there is lots going on behind the scenes, but the fact is there isn't. Striker is all we are looking at for January(if it can be done). We have certain players we would like, and the money available to get them. Whether they can convince the clubs to sell them in January is another story. From what I was told there is no intention of trying to loan anyone as a stopgap as things stand.

Both Fazio and Andros know they are surplus and can go, neither though are being actively pushed by the club, and it is all down to their agents to find them clubs at acceptable prices. Both could go on loans.

Expect a quiet January and the same in the Summer. All about growing what we have as a unit.

If that was presented as his reasoned opinion then I would really enjoy reading it. From what we know, those are rational probably well reasoned conclusions. But reading it as its intended - insider's information - its just logic masquerading as someone's fantasy to be actually itk.

Trix is now my pet ITK Pinata. But in lieu of any other stories for us to feast on, at least he keeps us entertained.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure we won't loan Townsend. Doesn't suit him and doesn't suit us (with his contract running down)

More chance of getting some interest in him if he plays well on loan than not even making our bench - though from what I gather he wouldn't personally accept a loan deal

depends on his attitude I guess, if he's disruptive then getting him away from the rest of the squad has value

I think it's unfair to suggest Townsend might be disruptive. He's been at the club for 11 or 12 years, has come through the academy with many of the rest of our first team, and has been known for his excellent application. One spat with a physio about warming down when he was an unused sub doesn't really suggest an issue.

I think it's unfair to suggest Townsend might be disruptive. He's been at the club for 11 or 12 years, has come through the academy with many of the rest of our first team, and has been known for his excellent application. One spat with a physio about warming down when he was an unused sub doesn't really suggest an issue.

hence the "if" in my post

He's not in Poch's plans, so it's the U21s or loan if he can't get a permanent move. A loan to a struggling side may be preferable to a permanent move in case said team got relegated. He might feel if he plays well on loan, Poch would give him another chance, etc.

He's not in Poch's plans, so it's the U21s or loan if he can't get a permanent move. A loan to a struggling side may be preferable to a permanent move in case said team got relegated. He might feel if he plays well on loan, Poch would give him another chance, etc.

Townsend is good enough for any team outside the big 6.

His more direct style might not suit a mini-us like Swansea or a Southampton, but anywhere like Everton, Palace, Stoke etc. he'd do really well.

More chance of getting some interest in him if he plays well on loan than not even makeing our bench - though from what I gather he wouldn't personally accept a loan deal

It has been suggested more than once that he simply doesn't want to go anywhere else. Maybe the lure of this summer's Euros could be enough for a loan at least.

Townsend is good enough for any team outside the big 6.

His more direct style might not suit a mini-us like Swansea or a Southampton, but anywhere like Everton, Palace, Stoke etc. he'd do really well.
Good point.... Although I'm not sure that Southampton are a mini us... From what I see they seem to instead look to play very deep and defensive and get it forward to Pele long and early and then get Mane on the second ball.

Back