• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ITK

At whichever club paid me (or more pertinently my agent) the most money.

That would depend on age/intelligence

- footballers need to play through certain years to develop, Cheat$ki, Citi, United, Pool have basically caused career genocide for a huge list of "next best things"
- 27-30, sure, show me the money is the rule, but that is typically not who we are targeting anyway.

Back to thread

- don't think Martinez was ever real
- 14 for Townsend would be brilliant, just hope we spend it on someone coming in

That would depend on age/intelligence

- footballers need to play through certain years to develop, Cheat$ki, Citi, United, Pool have basically caused career genocide for a huge list of "next best things"
- 27-30, sure, show me the money is the rule, but that is typically not who we are targeting anyway.

Back to thread

- don't think Martinez was ever real
- 14 for Townsend would be brilliant, just hope we spend it on someone coming in
You are preaching to the converted. I agree with your points completely. However the player will sign for the club offering the most money in almost every instance, especially if the money on offer from a particular club is a lot higher than their offer elsewhere. You also have to consider that in many instances the player's ego is typically big enough for them to think that they will walk into the team at the new club anyway.

Who is Martinez?
Jackson.... 29 year old Colombian centre forward that Athletico Madrid paid Porto 35 million euros for about 7 months ago. He has since scored 2 goals in 11 games.

The time to have bought him was 3 years before than when he went to Porto for about 10 million euros (and if I remember correctly - we were sniffing around him back then!)

No, Jackson Martinez. The crap Colombian forward, who had a 'Marco Negri season' in Portugal, and then has completely flopped in Spain.
To be fair to him it was 3 seasons in a row and not just the single season.

While he hasn't exactly been a success in Spain (only 2 league goals until now this season) I think it is a little unfair to call him a 'flop' already, I think he has only started 9 games so far. I can't dispute that Athletico overpaid for him however. Looks like he may become as expensive a mistake for them as Soldado was for us (both players cost about the same in £s).

To be fair to him it was 3 seasons in a row and not just the single season.

While he hasn't exactly been a success in Spain (only 2 league goals until now this season) I think it is a little unfair to call him a 'flop' already, I think he has only started 9 games so far. I can't dispute that Athletico overpaid for him however. Looks like he may become as expensive a mistake for them as Soldado was for us (both players cost about the same in £s).

He also looked dreadful for Colombia in the WC. It was like watching Defoe at the end with us in the same team as vdV, Modric and Bale - the whole attack was operating on a completely different level to him.

Thinking about this one a bit more - I wonder whether Athletico might be open to letting us have Martinez on loan for the rest of the season? He must be on very large wages and is not really getting in the team there, so a shop window loan with a reasonable loan fee could be a goer?

Would allow us to cover Kane, have a proven goalscorer on the bench if we need to chase a game and we could then buy Dembele and leave him at Fulham for the rest of the season.

He also looked dreadful for Colombia in the WC. It was like watching Defoe at the end with us in the same team as vdV, Modric and Bale - the whole attack was operating on a completely different level to him.
Hmmmm - I think you might be making up your own history here? In Defoe's second last season at Spurs under Redknapp he scored 16 goals and was a key part of Redknapp's squad. Modric and VDV then left the club and AVB brought in Soldado and put him in the team instead of Defoe (great move that!)

Even having been relegated from the team and playing only the cup games/making appearances as sub Defoe managed to score 10 goals in 22 games in the first half of that season under AVB.

Perhaps when thinking about a dreadful player to compare Martinez to you're confusing Defoe with Soldado?....

Reactions: DTA
Hmmmm - I think you might be making up your own history here? In Defoe's second last season at Spurs under Redknapp he scored 16 goals and was a key part of Redknapp's squad. Modric and VDV then left the club and AVB brought in Soldado and put him in the team instead of Defoe (great move that!)

Even having been relegated from the team and playing only the cup games/making appearances as sub Defoe managed to score 10 goals in 22 games in the first half of that season under AVB.

Perhaps when thinking about a dreadful player to compare Martinez to you're confusing Defoe with Soldado?....

Ade and Rafa started every game that mattered. Defoe was last 15 minute cameos and easy cup games.

Soldado at least had a footballing brain. He was frustrating because it should have worked. Defoe was frustrating because he didn't have the tools

Ade and Rafa started every game that mattered. Defoe was last 15 minute cameos and easy cup games.

Soldado at least had a footballing brain. He was frustrating because it should have worked. Defoe was frustrating because he didn't have the tools
I love the way how you constantly cling to this crap about (our biggest waste of money ever) Soldado "having a football brain", while belittling the contribution of the 5th highest goalscorer in the history of our great club.

The only thing that was frustrating was the fact that Soldado's "footballing brain" wasn't big enough to achieve the twin target of getting the football over the goal line, while also ensuring it went between the two goalposts!

Defoe was 10 times the player for Spurs that Soldado was.... In fact that is a bit harsh... He was more like 20 times the player Soldado was. The only thing that is frustrating is that people like you choose to demean the contribution that Defoe made for us, instead of that of our biggest waste of money ever.

Thinking about this one a bit more - I wonder whether Athletico might be open to letting us have Martinez on loan for the rest of the season? He must be on very large wages and is not really getting in the team there, so a shop window loan with a reasonable loan fee could be a goer?

Would allow us to cover Kane, have a proven goalscorer on the bench if we need to chase a game and we could then buy Dembele and leave him at Fulham for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure he'd want to come to us knowing that he'll play second fiddle to Kane, and not sure that Poch would risk signing someone like him

I love the way how you constantly cling to this crap about (our biggest waste of money ever) Soldado "having a football brain", while belittling the contribution of the 5th highest goalscorer in the history of our great club.

The only thing that was frustrating was the fact that Soldado's "footballing brain" wasn't big enough to achieve the twin target of getting the football over the goal line, while also ensuring it went between the two goalposts!

Defoe was 10 times the player for Spurs that Soldado was.... In fact that is a bit harsh... He was more like 20 times the player Soldado was. The only thing that is frustrating is that people like you choose to demean the contribution that Defoe made for us, instead of that of our biggest waste of money ever.

Yeah, that was nice and all how you built up that argument. But now, when I see the moniker Finney Is Back, my first thought is 'Roight, this is the bloke who can't even spell the name of that other Madrid club properly.'

There's no 'h' in Atletico Madrid. There is in Athletic Bilbao, the Basque club with the schitt-kicking new stadium.

If you're gonna do details, do 'em all. Right. What were you saying again?

Back