• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ITK Thread

Lennon is a smoker, not surprised he cannot put in the miles.. Doesn't Ade use those bong things., name of them escapes me... Another smoker possibly.
I think that Lennon has been photographed with a cigar a few times but I did not think that he was a regular smoker. It certainly seems harsh to criticise him for lack of effort.

It's Townsend's drive and commitment to self-improvement that for me (and I think Poch) gives him the edge over Lennon, and will be the reason he is the one of the two that is retained.

Plus Townsend is a few years younger - he should still ahve scope to improve, whereas Lennon turns 28 before the end of the season so if we wait a year or two before selling him his value could fall sharply. Once his pace goes, he'll be nothing so could be forced to retire early

Looks to me as though people are trying to re-invent history here. I don't think there is any evidence at all to suggest that Lennon doesn't work hard. He has always been prepared to put in the miles on the pitch for us from the moment he joined until his last performance. Rarely have I seen a winger prepared to help his fullback out so often.

I think it is more likely that Lennon isn't being used simply because Pochettino wants his wide players to come inside with the ball instead of trying to beat their player on the outside.

Looks to me as though people are trying to re-invent history here. I don't think there is any evidence at all to suggest that Lennon doesn't work hard. He has always been prepared to put in the miles on the pitch for us from the moment he joined until his last performance. Rarely have I seen a winger prepared to help his fullback out so often.

I think it is more likely that Lennon isn't being used simply because Pochettino wants his wide players to come inside with the ball instead of trying to beat their player on the outside.
I agree, although he was linked to the reported bust up between Adebayor, Kaboul, Capoue and the younger players and their continued absence from the first team does lend some weight to the gossip.

It's such a shame Lennon never became as devastating as many thought he could be. When he used to run at full backs and scare the hell out them it was great to watch. I always hoped he could add the ability to come inside on his left to make him more of a complete and unpredictable player but it never really happened, in fact his confidence at taking on defenders doesn't seem to be there as much anymore either. I wonder if that is just the impact of more modern tactical coaches and stats etc. and not wanting to lose possession and be called up on it? Who knows, but either way like you say he is almost 28 and even though he could be a useful player to have around (and he has had some great games back in the day) I think now could be the best time for him to move on. Maybe at another club he can play with some freedom that he seems to have lost a bit over recent years.

*Probably should've put this in the Lennon thread

I think that Lennon has been photographed with a cigar a few times but I did not think that he was a regular smoker. It certainly seems harsh to criticise him for lack of effort.

And you don't inhale cigars, so they don't affect your health (other than mouth/throat cancer risk)

*******s he was caught not tracking back when he started against Chelsea (letting Hazard in for a soft goal) and has played only 32 minutes in the 7 games since.

*******s he was caught not tracking back when he started against Chel53a (letting Hazard in for a soft goal) and has played only 32 minutes in the 7 games since.

Should Hazard be Lennon's player?.... I always thought it was the wide midfielder's job to track their fullback? (as I saw Chadli failing to do on a few occasions with Ivanovic against Chelsea in the first half on NYD).

It's such a shame Lennon never became as devastating as many thought he could be. When he used to run at full backs and scare the hell out them it was great to watch. I always hoped he could add the ability to come inside on his left to make him more of a complete and unpredictable player but it never really happened, in fact his confidence at taking on defenders doesn't seem to be there as much anymore either. I wonder if that is just the impact of more modern tactical coaches and stats etc. and not wanting to lose possession and be called up on it? Who knows, but either way like you say he is almost 28 and even though he could be a useful player to have around (and he has had some great games back in the day) I think now could be the best time for him to move on. Maybe at another club he can play with some freedom that he seems to have lost a bit over recent years.

*Probably should've put this in the Lennon thread

Agree with all written above. The thing is he is still more effective per game than Townsend and Lamela, although Chadli is contributing more in goal terms. So we should be keeping Lennon.
How depressing to see Naughton on the bench, surely Lennon is better, even now, as a right back than Naughton?

I fear he is being driven out, the message is clear leave as you won't get a game, we rather play poorer players.

*******s he was caught not tracking back when he started against Chelsea (letting Hazard in for a soft goal) and has played only 32 minutes in the 7 games since.

He did track back...look how deep he is! It's just he fell asleep and was ball watching! I don't blame that goal on lack of hard work just lack of concentration!

Agree with all written above. The thing is he is still more effective per game than Townsend and Lamela, although Chadli is contributing more in goal terms. So we should be keeping Lennon.
How depressing to see Naughton on the bench, surely Lennon is better, even now, as a right back than Naughton?

I fear he is being driven out, the message is clear leave as you won't get a game, we rather play poorer players.

Lets not get too carried away. He is far from terrible and we all know what his good qualities are, but he's been lacking end product for seasons now. He isn't a regular scorer or assister.

Thats the reason he's on his way out. You can't occupy his position in the side and offer what is at best intermittent goal threat.

Lets not get too carried away. He is far from terrible and we all know what his good qualities are, but he's been lacking end product for seasons now. He isn't a regular scorer or assister.

Thats the reason he's on his way out. You can't occupy his position in the side and offer what is at best intermittent goal threat.
In that case it would seem that we need to sell all three of our right sided players and bring in two new options?

Lennon's goalscoring record:

27 2
26 3
29 2
35 5
22 3
34 3
23 3
34 4
27 1
9 0

Versus Chadli's:

24 1
17 7

In that case it would seem that we need to sell all three of our right sided players and bring in two new options?

It's a good point that Lamela and Townsend aren't, as yet, any more effective.

However there are things that come down in their favour:

- Age - both are 6 or 7 years younger than Lennon and still very much on the way up. Lennon has plateaued for 9 seasons now
- Versatility - both can operate effectively on both flanks, whereas Lennon just doesn't work on the left
- Drive - this isn't about workrate, but both EL and AT seem committed to self-improvement
- Lamela's goalscoring record - he became a 1 in 2 player in his second season at Roma

Nothing ground-breaking (as you'd expect)...

ali z:
I hear final straw with Lennon is claiming hamstring was not right, also after Chel53a away did not accept criticism from Poch for goal.
Plenty Poch wants out, either through attitude or ability but its al about takers only 10 or so are safe.

Ali Z
more from ali z, sounds a bit like summing up paper rumours but anyway: As for players out a few clubs have enquired about Soldado, none on Ade, a firm bid place for Lamela (not accepted) interest in two mentioned plus Townsend and Pauli, none in Kaboom or Capoue.

JJetset said: ↑
We will only be buying if we sell first. Especially up front.
We currently have a big 25 man playing squad so if you see players going then you can expect players to come in but only then (maybe).
Enjoy the window especially the exciting press rubbish and I may/will come back late Jan. ;)

The real urgency for this window is a CB and cover up front. If you exclude players who are out of favour then we really only have two CBs (Chiriches doesnt seem to be trusted there, for obvious reasons, Kaboul is on his way out and Dier has vanished over the last two months) and two CFs. We'll get Bentaleb back in a few weeks and at least have numbers in CM - GHod help us though if Verts/Fazio and Kane got injured......

The real urgency for this window is a CB and cover up front. If you exclude players who are out of favour then we really only have two CBs (Chiriches doesnt seem to be trusted there, for obvious reasons, Kaboul is on his way out and Dier has vanished over the last two months) and two CFs. We'll get Bentaleb back in a few weeks and at least have numbers in CM - GHod help us though if Verts/Fazio and Kane got injured......
I think that the priority is moving on the players who do not feature in the manager's plans.

I think Dier would do well in the event of a Fazio or Verts injury or suspension. I think Poch took him out of the firing line because he was struggling a bit at RB, but he showed plenty enough quality early in the season to suggest he will be more than competent. I'd be happy to see him alongside one of Fazio or Verts, but maybe not one of Kaboul or Chiriches.

I know we have numbers at CM, but we have a real problem without the quick-transitioners. Capoue, Paulinho and Dembele just aren't suited to our system at all, and Stambouli still seems off the pace.

We need an extra Poch system player in each of those 3 positions, but CM is maybe top of my list (or second after a pacy versatile forward).

I think that the priority is moving on the players who do not feature in the manager's plans.

Yeah - the dynamic of the squad systems very important to Poch. Having effectively isolated the bad elements, he needs to get rid of them before they have a chance to reassert any influence.

We need to get rid of incompatible players like Paulinho, Chiriches and Dembele so we can bring in more compatible ones.

But much more important is to get rid of the trouble ones - Kaboul, Ade, Capoue and possibly Lennon.

Back