• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Interim Work Question

Papercut

Jermaine Jenas
Hope you guys can help!

I've been offered a role which is for an interim period of 9 months. I've also got a shot at another role that is permanent.

Now I've decided to take the interim as it's local and suits me for the current time however my concern is if they can terminate early (which in effect may mean losing out on the other role). Is there legislation in regards this? Will they have to pay out for the remainder of the contract?

I am still yet to receive my contract but need to give an answer to the other company.

Thanks!!

I don't have much to do with short-term contracts, but based on my knowledge of general employment law there's no such thing as unfair dismissal within the first 12 months of employment (barring overriding laws such as those about disability, race, etc).

Essentially, if your employer wants rid of you early within 12 months then they can, and don't need a good reason to do so. Not suggesting your potential employer would do this, but unless you had some kind of protection stipulated in your contract there'd be nothing to stop them.

I don't have much to do with short-term contracts, but based on my knowledge of general employment law there's no such thing as unfair dismissal within the first 12 months of employment (barring overriding laws such as those about disability, race, etc).

Essentially, if your employer wants rid of you early within 12 months then they can, and don't need a good reason to do so. Not suggesting your potential employer would do this, but unless you had some kind of protection stipulated in your contract there'd be nothing to stop them.

This. As an interim you have fudge all protection for unfair dismissal. Is it a fixed term contract position?

Thanks for the answers lads

It's for 9 months.

Shamefully I work in HR but more on the technical/analytical side. Knew I should have carried on with the CIPD!!!

Papercut - I dont think you have much protection. Hence why you get paid the bigger bucks compared to your peers.

Back