• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Interesting but useless facts

When Mick Jones finished playing centre forward for Leeds Utd he went on to play guitar in Foreigner.

The Ostrich doesn't actually ever bury its head in the sand.

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time. It corresponds to 1/100 of a second.

Humphrey Bogart was related to Princess Diana. (7th Cousins)

The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

Urban legend. Not actually true.

Roald Dahl claimed to be the first person to use the word 'gremlin' - in a short story about creatures called gremlins getting into RAF fighter jets and causing them to crash during WW2. Hence the term 'gremlin in the machine.'

I heard exactly the same story but about early computers, one of which had malfunctioned due to an insect gaining access, the problem was put down to "a bug". All sounds like an urban myth to me-and this whole thread is like an episode of QI, and talking of QI, Julie Birchill once described Stephen Fry as "who a stupid person thinks an intelligent person is".

snopes.com.

It's physically impossible for a woman to chew gum and wag her finger simultaneously. If she's bending your ear give her a Wrigleys.

I heard exactly the same story but about early computers, one of which had malfunctioned due to an insect gaining access, the problem was put down to "a bug". All sounds like an urban myth to me-and this whole thread is like an episode of QI, and talking of QI, Julie Birchill once described Stephen Fry as "who a stupid person thinks an intelligent person is".

snopes.com.

Hmm perhaps though Dahl did say that he was the first to use the term in his book 'Boy'. As for Julie Birchill.........:-"

The gag reflex is stifled if you tuck your thumb into your fist and squeeze. Get your missus to try it. It works

Coca Cola used to contain Cocaine as an ingredient until the recipe was changed due to public pressure in the 1960's and was replaced with Heroine.

25 years ago today the UK No1 single was - T'Pau - China In Your Hand

[video=youtube;PSh6SQd8UrI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSh6SQd8UrI[/video]

Back