• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

I thought it was a good game, Belgium are a well organised team with good players, Pickford didn't have much to do and the back four did alright after losing STONES, the fullbacks didn't offer a lot due to Foden and Bowen staying wide and both failed to put dangerous balls into the box. I dont think we'll see Pickford or Dunks make errors like that often.
Impressed by Mianoo, Rice and Bellingham on a difficult wet night chasing the game.
Toney and Bowen looked threatening but Foden didn't get in game till second half.
The crowd were terrible, don't normally notice as usually watch on mute but was with my son and grandson in garden room.

I’d play players where they play for their club mainly
Foden for me plays on the left of the attack
Who else plays there instead?
Rashford who has mixed to poor club form… Gordon who has played one international
Instead what we’re now seeing is a desire to okay a lad who has played less than 20 games in his career to help shore up a defence yet…. The United defence still looks poor when he plays. England conceded 2 goals with him and rice yesterday.
England’s best chance to defend is attack imo. But we won’t see that
I would not be shocked to see Henderson start again in the euros
Southgate has a desire to control games but he doesn't know how to create a passing possesion side so he will always have a couple of deeper sitters or at least the desire to have workers and controllers at the base. I could indeed see Henderson getting back in as that's what Southgate knows and he trusts him.

Southgate has a desire to control games but he doesn't know how to create a passing possesion side so he will always have a couple of deeper sitters or at least the desire to have workers and controllers at the base. I could indeed see Henderson getting back in as that's what Southgate knows and he trusts him.
Yeah
But control needs passing
We don’t have a lot of passers

No doubt the manager/coach has to take a fair bit of the blame, but for me the gap between Englands top players and the hyped (Watkins, bowen, toney, maguire, etc) is massive and is never accepted.
These guys aren't that good that you should be adopting a style that blunts you're genuine top players.
And it's just this crop, you can take this back decades.

I would agree but I would also counter that argument with what was said that no one else out there is pulling up trees. I am not knocking Italy as they know how to get over the line but after going 1 up in the Euro final we should have won, up against a 35 and 32 year old CB pairing who despite their rightful legend status, we tested all first half. To decide to go into a shell and watch the equaliser that we all saw coming 2nd half....poor and that was not a great Italy side and in general the whole Euros were full of sides in massive transitions

I’d play players where they play for their club mainly
Foden for me plays on the left of the attack
Who else plays there instead?
Rashford who has mixed to poor club form… Gordon who has played one international
Instead what we’re now seeing is a desire to okay a lad who has played less than 20 games in his career to help shore up a defence yet…. The United defence still looks poor when he plays. England conceded 2 goals with him and rice yesterday.
England’s best chance to defend is attack imo. But we won’t see that
I would not be shocked to see Henderson start again in the euros

Agree with all of this, the risk adverse tactics that invite on pressure, where have we seen that before.

Our best players are those that can hurt sides, Kane, Foden, Bellingham and Madders, you have to be playing to their strengths, there is as much defence about keeping the ball as there is simply having number behind it.

I agree, he is going to play Hendo for his "big tournament" experience

Agree with all of this, the risk adverse tactics that invite on pressure, where have we seen that before.

Our best players are those that can hurt sides, Kane, Foden, Bellingham and Madders, you have to be playing to their strengths, there is as much defence about keeping the ball as there is simply having number behind it.

I agree, he is going to play Hendo for his "big tournament" experience
It’s what scares me when people talk about the talent we have
It seems we’re lacking it in defence (imo our first choice is actually decent with 2 players who play for the best team on the planet)
then we now have a genuine clamour for starting rice with a kid who has played 20 pro games and may well be anything (looks good so far) but when we have played this “defensive set up” we haven’t defended well. So hy not actually play to the strengths of the players we have which includes a shed load of attacking talent but not a huge amount of creative talent

My tesm, for what’s it’s worth would be

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Guiehi if fit
Shaw
Rice
Bellingham
Maddison
Saka
Kane
Foden

Guiehi if fit
Shaw
Rice
Bellingham
Maddison
Saka
Kane
Foden

Yeh and look, I like that lad from United, obviously got abit about him, but like you say its gotta be one or other. Rice is no slouch on ball but you can't have two and suggest the retainment quality is enough IMO. Bellingham was brilliant in the defence areas playing with Rice previously and I know his Madrid form has stumped Southgate, he even admitted that, which is the worry

Yeh and look, I like that lad from United, obviously got abit about him, but like you say its gotta be one or other. Rice is no slouch on ball but you can't have two and suggest the retainment quality is enough IMO. Bellingham was brilliant in the defence areas playing with Rice previously and I know his Madrid form has stumped Southgate, he even admitted that, which is the worry
Yeah we have a reaction now to how good Bellingham’s game is playing in an attacking role, but for me he isn’t a creator. He is lampard style wise in those late runs. Ive to seen him yet do any amazing passes but he covers ground brilliantly and scores goals. Him and kane with potentially Saka and Rice are too drawer elite. Walker was and is sill holding his own. Foden is well on the way to being that level too
Stones is quality and Pickford has never let England down although had a mistake this week
It’s not a group of players that doesn’t have quality

Thing is they can swap in game. Maddison as we've seen this season can drop deep at times. Hell kane can. We can be more dynamic.

Rumours gathering pace that United want to take the entire current England coaching staff.. Would be fudgein hilarious but makes the Mainoo selection look all the more dodgy.

Rumours gathering pace that United want to take the entire current England coaching staff.. Would be fudgein hilarious but makes the Mainoo selection look all the more dodgy.

Just a really bizarre appointment (if it happens) all round. I’m not anti Southgate but at the same time I wouldn’t say he’s achieved anything more than par. Certainly hasn’t done anything out of the ordinary. Doesn’t have a particularly impressive CV at club level either which of course is different to club football.

Reactions: jrh
Just a really bizarre appointment (if it happens) all round. I’m not anti Southgate but at the same time I wouldn’t say he’s achieved anything more than par. Certainly hasn’t done anything out of the ordinary. Doesn’t have a particularly impressive CV at club level either which of course is different to club football.
I'd love to see it... would be hilarious watching him try to manage United

Back