• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ice baths and the healing power of water

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
I can safely say that i belive myself now to be at my physical peak and the best condition i have ever been in. I had a bad winter when i could not train like i wanted after a minor operation i did not exercise for 3 months.

Anyway yesterday in the hight of the afternoon i decided to go for a run i ran instead of the jogging i have been doing. I think yesterday was to much because i am not a natural runner and i ran in heat did 10 miles and was sick when i got home, stood under a cold showwer for about 40 minutes and came back to life.

Sat in bed last night and i knew i had a clear day ahead of me today i said to the wife im going to go for it. So today i got up at 6am and did another 10 miles run, i was stiff but got through it. I drove my son to school and then came back and did a 50 mile cycle ride and went out fast. Then came back and did a work out with my weights.

After dinner i went for another cycle ride just 20 miles this time. I swear i thought my calfs were on fire and when i got off my bike my legs were all wobbly.

The point of this thread is i had been told by a guy i sometimes cycle with that ice baths really do help straight after exercise. So i got as much ice out of the freezer as i could and filled the bath up with it and cold water.

Jesus it was cold but i lasted 4 minutes in it first time before jumping out, the effect was instant my legs felt so much stronger and i felt more alert. After about 3 minutes i jumped back into the bath i repeated this 4 times. Got to say it works like magic.

Used to love getting a cold shower after a hot day and love being in the sea because it brings me back to life straight away. Sadly we can not afford a swimming pool but im thinking about a plunge pool. The wife thinks im having a break down and trying to starve off old age but i love it. Freezing cold water is the way forward.

Know a lot of latvians that actually take their children to the lakes in the winter and throw them in because they belive it keeps disease away. My lad would probably call social services if i did that to him.

To sum up anyone who does a lot of exercise should consider an ice bath, absoultey amazing and i wish i had done it 20 years ago.

Cool stuff Chich.

As I've ranted before no doubt, cold shower/baths change the skins isotope back to alkaline, which is very important, especially after exercise when your body releases lots of stored energy/fats as acid (lactic, fatty acids etc).

Even better IMO is a long hot soak in epsom salts loaded bath, then a cold shower at the end.

I have used japanese bath salts recently, part of my loving everything japanese. They are good but how do epsom salts differ? i am feeling so alive right now, been taking supplements and drinks to help with my recovery.

I was going to try maxrecovery drinks till i saw jenas is one of there spokes people. They make you recovery quickly but clearly they turn you into a fudging awful footballer as well.

Lactic acid is the one i think i had this afternoon because when i got off the bike for the second time i could hardly walk properly my leg was going mental i must have looked like Elvis.

I have used japanese bath salts recently, part of my loving everything japanese. They are good but how do epsom salts differ? i am feeling so alive right now, been taking supplements and drinks to help with my recovery.

I was going to try maxrecovery drinks till i saw jenas is one of there spokes people. They make you recovery quickly but clearly they turn you into a fudging awful footballer as well.

Lactic acid is the one i think i had this afternoon because when i got off the bike for the second time i could hardly walk properly my leg was going mental i must have looked like Elvis.

Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sulphate (magnesium, sulphur & oxygen)

Magnesium

Magnesium: What is it?
Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body and is essential to good health. Approximately 50% of total body magnesium is found in bone. The other half is found predominantly inside cells of body tissues and organs. Only 1% of magnesium is found in blood, but the body works very hard to keep blood levels of magnesium constant [1].
Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis [2-3]. There is an increased interest in the role of magnesium in preventing and managing disorders such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Dietary magnesium is absorbed in the small intestines. Magnesium is excreted through the kidneys [1-3,4].

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

The japanese salts, if it's stuff like this - http://www.truerenu.com/tr/shop/new...e-collagen-japanese-bath-salts--680g-3067.asp - are sodium based, which the body needs and are good (as long as they are not processed to remove their partner minerals as this can cause heart attacks, hence the 'you should only have 6grams a day' stuff doctors spiel, yes I agree with them to limit PROCESSED sodium salts), the link there shows Ingredients: Sodium sulfate, sodium hydrogen carbonate, collagen, fragrance, CI 45350. I'd be put off especially by the bold parts personally.

I would go for himalayan (or dead sea) salts personally (in regards to sodium based stuff) as they are in a natural form (I do have this in baths also, but use epsom salts primarily and add a smaller amount of sodium salts on a rotation, with calcium hydroxide and apple cider vinegar), I buy most these in raw form rather than those in the link as it is much cheaper and you know exactly what you are putting in.

Replensihing minerals is vital, especially if you are doing alot of exercise, I have green smoothies - half a cucumber, half an advocado, some spinach/kale some mineral water, blast it in a blender (I also put in a little pinch of epson salts, little bit of calcium hydroxide but that makes it more complicated as you need to be very careful with the calcium hydroxide).

I'm fairly sure that Van Der Vaart has acid build up (and he looks to me like you describe yourself after exercise at the end), when you look at his shape it looks to be that of a person who's muscles are trying to pull in, plus his persistant muscle injuries, I'm sure he could get fully fit with a decent mineral replenishment regime, he'd probably gain a yard of pace to.

Thanks for the posts anyway chich it has prompted me to have a burst of smoothies this weekend, rather than the odd one and get back in to better health ready for the summer (we're going to durdle door today or tomorrow and I am conscious that I am not looking as buff as I'd like for stripping down on the beach!).

Google on 'Exercise Fatty Acid Oxidation' - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=exercise fatty acid oxidation&hl=en&sa=N&tab=sw quite wordy but gives you a clear view that exercise causes the release of 'fatty acids' and hopefully makes the picture clearer on why magnesium etc are vital when doing such.

Also amino acids are often broken down when you exercise, if you don't have enough carbs as fuel (which is why it stinks of ammonia in gym changing rooms), these metabolise into nitrogen, which if not cleaned out of the body will start to starve the body of oxygen. Magnesium is key to removing nitrogen...

This is why in my rants I cite poor quality vegetables (picked under ripe, and/or from poor soil) as very bad for you, as they are loaded with non-protein-nitrogen (which the plant converts to mineral density when grown in good soil conditions and to full ripeness), this is a big factor in alot of digestive issues as this nitrogen is literally suffocating us from the inside!

Things shouldn't be like this, sadly though they are.

Last edited:
Even just dipping in a cold bath for 10 minutes after a long run can decrease DOMS so much the next day (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). You only really need it for the lower half of your body so doing so is very effective if you have a tough schedule to get through. The next day you might notice a bit of soreness depending on the session intensity, but it makes a lot of difference.

I'm in decent shape at the moment - during the course of the summer I'm gonna be working my arse off to get into prime fitness for when i start doing Mixed Martial Arts training in september.

Hey gifter great posts mate. With these posts you have just moved yourself to the top of my list for poster of the year awards.

I should be eating better to aid my recovery, i do not exactly eat badly but anything i can do to increase recovery time especailly as i get older is a good thing. Im going to look into magnesium after what you have written.

Those smoothies sound nice. I have a smoothie maker but rarely actually make smoothies, is the a website or book you would recommend with good recipes.

Today i think the last few days exercise has caught up with me because i did not have the same spark. Went for a swim in the sea which was colder then i thought it would be, guess because im usually wearing a wetsuit. Did pretty much bugger all the rest of the day.

Have you considered emailing the club with suggestions for VDV? you seem to really know your stuff.

Hadn't forgotten about this thread chich, thanks for appreciating the info. Don't think for one moment the club would pay any attention to a random bod with no medical background (of note), shame though as I think we (spurs under Redknapp, let them have ketchup etc) are really poor in this area, the extra small amount, even 0.5% might have had us 3rd, anyway.

Was just looking at something for a friend and came across this article which is looking into different acid excretions under excercise;

http://www.jbc.org/content/110/1/107.full.pdf

I haven't read it all, but it seems just reading the beginning that the usual excretion of uric acid drops right off under excercise, I would suppose this is as the body in sidetracked trying to deal with lactic and the breakdown of other fatty acids at an amplified rate, hence it cannot cope with all at once.

This is a key for me, as it shows how, unless your body has plenty of excess alkaline minerals (Calcium, Magnesium etc), your body starts to not be able to cope, then even after excercise you are loaded with these acids which your lymphatic system and liver cannot cope with removing. If you start from a point of already having insufficient alkalinity then you build problems on this front, plus you also have nitrogen build up which begins to diminish your bodies ability to maintain good oxygen levels into the tissues, which is vital for healing/regeneration.

I can't really provide you links as I think it will put you off and just draw senseless debate about the beliefs of the authors etc.

My birthday today, started it with a 30 mile cycle ride just had an ice bath. Now I am taking the wife and son to Battle to see the Battle of Hastings museum, never taken the lad there. Then it is one of my favourite dinners roast gammon before off to see the new bond movie. Pretty much the perfect day. The ice baths are great for rejuvenating the spirit.

Fishing for some happy birthdays, sad.

Still, Happy Birthday, Chich. Sounds like an unusually wholesome itinerary.

then even after excercise you are loaded with these acids which your lymphatic system and liver cannot cope with removing.
Dafuq?

Moving about (like our race has done for 10s of thousands of years) creates acids in our bodies that the parts of our bodies that have evolved with that moving about can't deal with? Why aren't we all dead?

Let me guess - there aren't any high quality trials of this, it just works, right?

I can safely say that i belive myself now to be at my physical peak and the best condition i have ever been in. I had a bad winter when i could not train like i wanted after a minor operation i did not exercise for 3 months.

Anyway yesterday in the hight of the afternoon i decided to go for a run i ran instead of the jogging i have been doing. I think yesterday was to much because i am not a natural runner and i ran in heat did 10 miles and was sick when i got home, stood under a cold showwer for about 40 minutes and came back to life.

Sat in bed last night and i knew i had a clear day ahead of me today i said to the wife im going to go for it. So today i got up at 6am and did another 10 miles run, i was stiff but got through it. I drove my son to school and then came back and did a 50 mile cycle ride and went out fast. Then came back and did a work out with my weights.

After dinner i went for another cycle ride just 20 miles this time. I swear i thought my calfs were on fire and when i got off my bike my legs were all wobbly.

The point of this thread is i had been told by a guy i sometimes cycle with that ice baths really do help straight after exercise. So i got as much ice out of the freezer as i could and filled the bath up with it and cold water.

Jesus it was cold but i lasted 4 minutes in it first time before jumping out, the effect was instant my legs felt so much stronger and i felt more alert. After about 3 minutes i jumped back into the bath i repeated this 4 times. Got to say it works like magic.

Used to love getting a cold shower after a hot day and love being in the sea because it brings me back to life straight away. Sadly we can not afford a swimming pool but im thinking about a plunge pool. The wife thinks im having a break down and trying to starve off old age but i love it. Freezing cold water is the way forward.

Know a lot of latvians that actually take their children to the lakes in the winter and throw them in because they belive it keeps disease away. My lad would probably call social services if i did that to him.

To sum up anyone who does a lot of exercise should consider an ice bath, absoultey amazing and i wish i had done it 20 years ago.

Superb post and I can verify all you say. Once a week I go to a Russian bane with turkish steam room. I cycle steam, russian sauna then an ice-cold plunge pool. It is absolutely rejuvenating and has contributed to me playing twice a week and walking/hiking a minimum 3 miles daily without serious injury. Again, great post and I hope people pay attention!

Congratulations on surviving another year

long-johnsrex_450x433.jpg

Well done on getting back on the bandwagon!

Ice baths are great, really wonderful at making you feel refreshed after exercise, but…
As I've ranted before no doubt
I have no idea what you are talking about, yet again, Gifter – Change the skins isotope back to alkaline? So a cold bath is necessary to change skin at an atomic level?! Can you (or anyone else for that matter) explain to me how a skins isotope becomes acidic/alkaline please and how temperature fits in to this; I’d love to know how you tested your latest research!

Dietary magnesium is important but unless you drink your bath water after you wash (…) then I struggle to see how anything you’ve just pasted is relevant to each other – eat some leafy greens and some nuts/fish/seeds if you want magnesium in your diet, your skin doesn’t absorb nutrients, you’re not a plant!

Also non-protein-nitrogen?! Do you even know what that means… Are you aware that there are non-protein-nitrogen’s in oooh I don’t know, naturally produced human milk? Damn that unnatural non-protein-nitrogen getting into human milk, it must be big pharma/the faming industry/government/rothschilds fault!

You’re just stringing a load of long words together and seem to be hoping that posting barely relevant papers which you clearly don’t understand will convince others to believe the same factless nonsense you just just lap up and regurgitate without thinking about.

“The neutrinos are mutating!”

Everyone read what he says with a pinch of salt (literally, if you like, to your bath water, it probably won’t do any harm but it won’t give you Acid Skin), and enjoy your ice baths without listening to his nonsense, Chich.

Gifter, keep doing whatever you enjoy doing, but passing off this sort of stuff as gospel in a public forum is just irresponsible. It's quite clear you really don't understand a thing about what you're saying.

Dafuq?

Moving about (like our race has done for 10s of thousands of years) creates acids in our bodies that the parts of our bodies that have evolved with that moving about can't deal with? Why aren't we all dead?

Let me guess - there aren't any high quality trials of this, it just works, right?

Well done on getting back on the bandwagon!

Ice baths are great, really wonderful at making you feel refreshed after exercise, but…

I have no idea what you are talking about, yet again, Gifter – Change the skins isotope back to alkaline? So a cold bath is necessary to change skin at an atomic level?! Can you (or anyone else for that matter) explain to me how a skins isotope becomes acidic/alkaline please and how temperature fits in to this; I’d love to know how you tested your latest research!

Dietary magnesium is important but unless you drink your bath water after you wash (…) then I struggle to see how anything you’ve just pasted is relevant to each other – eat some leafy greens and some nuts/fish/seeds if you want magnesium in your diet, your skin doesn’t absorb nutrients, you’re not a plant!

Also non-protein-nitrogen?! Do you even know what that means… Are you aware that there are non-protein-nitrogen’s in oooh I don’t know, naturally produced human milk? Damn that unnatural non-protein-nitrogen getting into human milk, it must be big pharma/the faming industry/government/rothschilds fault!

You’re just stringing a load of long words together and seem to be hoping that posting barely relevant papers which you clearly don’t understand will convince others to believe the same factless nonsense you just just lap up and regurgitate without thinking about.

“The neutrinos are mutating!”

Everyone read what he says with a pinch of salt (literally, if you like, to your bath water, it probably won’t do any harm but it won’t give you Acid Skin), and enjoy your ice baths without listening to his nonsense, Chich.

Gifter, keep doing whatever you enjoy doing, but passing off this sort of stuff as gospel in a public forum is just irresponsible. It's quite clear you really don't understand a thing about what you're saying.

Was reading through hoping someone with some sense of sanity might eventually hop on board. Thankfully you two did before I had do.

Back